Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Courtesy of SSD

Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 3:09 PM
To: Sales
Subject: Night vision binoculars

To whom it may concern,

My Dad has a pair of your night vision binoculars. Today I was stupid and used them during the day, and the sun ruined the lens. I didn’t know that the sun could ruin the lens. I feel so awful and sick that I did this to my Dad. He’s a veteran in the military and he has been saving up so much of his money to buy these binoculars, and he also waited about 4 months to get them. I’m only 21 and there’s no way I can repay him for what I’ve done. Please help me out. Is there anywhere I could get the lens replaced? Is there anything I can do?

Thank you,

XXXX XXXXXXXX
View Quote
View Quote
That dude needs to be punched directly in the fuck.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It was not a dude, it was his daughter, I don't know too many dads that would punch their daughter even in a situation like this.
View Quote
It wasn't exactly clear from the email in the OP, but no... no punching.

Probably sell her car/raid her college fund though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know any of these people, but geez.  "I'm only 21?" Seriously?  This person, male or female, fucked up big time.  Then writes an email to a vendor, trying to find a way of getting out of this; getting someone else to pay for it.  I really feel bad for this guy.  But the kid who did this, should pay for this.

I too spent many years wanting and saving up for NV.   If my 21 year old kid did this, I would be pretty fucking pissed.  21 is like the new 4 years old, I suppose.

Here's the thing.  When I wuz a kid, I knew better than to fuck with any of the old man's stuff.  He kept a loaded .45 on the nightstand and I NEVER touched it without permission.  NV woulda been in the same cat.  I could go on and on, but, yeah.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It wasn't exactly clear from the email in the OP, but no... no punching.

Probably sell her car/raid her college fund though.
View Quote
This is why you do what I did. I bought my 2 pvs-14's used for $2300 a piece. I went to my insurance guy who does my home owners and I said "Kirk, I got these for 2300 a pop but I want $5000 a pop because if they break I'm going straight to tnvc and replacing them with new, top if the line L3 WP 14's."  I even sent him the link to their webpage.

He said no prob. Couple more bucks a month. So now I have no fear withmy 14's because if I break them I get brand new ones that are better. Or I might get WP sents.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is why you do what I did. I bought my 2 pvs-14's used for $2300 a piece. I went to my insurance guy who does my home owners and I said "Kirk, I got these for 2300 a pop but I want $5000 a pop because if they break I'm going straight to tnvc and replacing them with new, top if the line L3 WP 14's."  I even sent him the link to their webpage.

He said no prob. Couple more bucks a month. So now I have no fear withmy 14's because if I break them I get brand new ones that are better. Or I might get WP sents.
View Quote
how does your homeowners insurance cover your 14's if you break them ?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

how does your homeowners insurance cover your 14's if you break them ?
View Quote
I want to know this too.

Stolen, yes. Fire, yes. Flood, yes. USAA has me all day. Hell, my buddy had his NV kit stolen before he even paid his second premium to USAA and they covered it without so much as a question once they got the police report.

But "Hey, my daughter sucks and ruined my shit"? USAA would tell me to get bent.

Please inform us of your policy issuer. I'd like to get on that (And as someone who actually uses his NV kit on the regular in austere environments, I'm totally serious)
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Scheduled personal property protection. Actual replacement value new. As I said I sent the tnvc link to my guy and said if anything happens to my shit I'll be buying these and I want it covered.

I got a "no prob" as a reply.

Edit

Allstate.

Just for the hell of it I actually just looked at the "AVP80" form which outlines what it will not cover. Some of the stuff is funny.

For instance, if I break these during a civil war they will not be covered. Insurrection, rebellion, invasion and usurped power are all no no's lol
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]
A personal articles policy (PAP) on any schedule item that you list, covers you for almost anything besides destroying them on purpose. It covers accidents, dropping, sun damage as listed above, recoil, theft, you name it. Relatively cheap in the scheme of things. I've seen some PAPs that have 20k in coverage and it costs about $200 a year. Your insurance company and location will determine the cost etc.

However, they do require serial numbers, proof of purchase etc and it should be for the replacement cost value of your particular item. As years go by, your items cost to replace goes down as technology advances etc so you should lower your coverage appropriately. The poster above that has regular 14s and has coverage for WP, may not work out exactly how he plans unless they never asked for proof of purchase or serial number for his current item. That's similar to insuring something you do not own, which is technically illegally and you have no insurance interest in said item. Same goes for having a 2005 Honda and wanting insurance for a Ferrari. If you total your Honda they won't buy you a Telsa even if you paid the premiums for a Telsa. If you didn't own it, then you don't have a right to insure it.

I have an Excel sheet with all guns, scopes, serial numbers and price to replace based on today's market. I keep it updated and updated my PAP accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Edit: Double post
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A personal articles policy (PAP) on any schedule item that you list, covers you for almost anything besides destroying them on purpose. It covers accidents, dropping, sun damage as listed above, recoil, theft, you name it. Relatively cheap in the scheme of things. I've seen some PAPs that have 20k in coverage and it costs about $200 a year. Your insurance company and location will determine the cost etc.

However, they do require serial numbers, proof of purchase etc and it should be for the replacement cost value of your particular item. As years go by, your items cost to replace goes down as technology advances etc so you should lower your coverage appropriately. The poster above that has regular 14s and has coverage for WP, may not work out exactly how he plans unless they never asked for proof of purchase or serial number for his current item. That's similar to insuring something you do not own, which is technically illegally and you have no insurance interest in said item. Same goes for having a 2005 Honda and wanting insurance for a Ferrari. If you total your Honda they won't buy you a Telsa even if you paid the premiums for a Telsa. If you didn't own it, then you don't have a right to insure it.

I have an Excel sheet with all guns, scopes, serial numbers and price to replace based on today's market. I keep it updated and updated my PAP accordingly.
View Quote
I'm not sure of the specifics but like I said I showed my guy my PayPal receipts for what I paid, and I said I wanted to be able to replace these with new units because I got them used and I might not be able to find the same deal. Then I showed him the link and he said ok.

I double checked with him again and was told it's all good. So I'm either covered or he is jerking my chain. I doubt it's the latter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not sure of the specifics but like I said I showed my guy my PayPal receipts for what I paid, and I said I wanted to be able to replace these with new units because I got them used and I might not be able to find the same deal. Then I showed him the link and he said ok.

I double checked with him again and was told it's all good. So I'm either covered or he is jerking my chain. I doubt it's the latter.
View Quote
i'm sure your all good with the coverage , your in good hands after all

i was just curious because of the way you worded it. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:48:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

i'm sure your all good with the coverage , your in good hands after all

i was just curious because of the way you worded it. 
View Quote
Sorry, I'm ignorant in the ways of insurance lol. I just remember stressing to him I wanted, if available, the type of coverage that would be good for all the stupidity I could muster and then some lol.  If I had to pay more I would. i don't remember exactly but I think my bill went from around $140 or $150 to $170 a month?  

Probably overkill since I use them around once every two months. But if they do break I'll be eyeball deep in top of the line shit!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Insurance, all well and good.  This story illustrates a deep and systemic problem in this country today.  

If I had done something like this, I would have been out on the street.  (And probably in the Marine Corps a little earlier.)  Today we just shrug it off.  And buy insurance.  

Or in this case we rely on someone else to clean up our mess.  Instead of owning it.

I'm hoping that's a typo and it really was a monocular -14.  Then she could actually save up herself and buy a good used tube for around a grand.  Maybe going without all the shit for a year to make this up to her Dad would be a good life lesson that actions have consequences.  Or not.

This reminds me of another story.  This is no shit.  (You guys do know the difference between a Sea Story and a Fairy tale, right?)   My grilfriend's older brother came home one night drunk as a skunk, with a steering wheel in his hands.  He had just totaled the old man's Chevy, which he had spent years lovingly re-building.  Not a scratch on him, well, until ol dad tune him up.  He went in the Navy the next day.  That's what this country used to be like.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Getting a deal on a used item and wanting to insure it for the full replacement cost of the exact item is perfectly acceptable. Just like you said, you got a good deal and can't guarantee that you will get it again. However, having a regular PVS-14 and wanting to insure it for the more expensive PVS-14 WP version is technically wrong. Not saying that your insurance guy isn't hooking you up and putting down minimal info into the system or putting into the system that you current have the WP, so you can get them in the future if you damage your current set but I just wanted to let people know that usually that is not how it works and they require quite a bit of info to make sure you are insured correctly and that they give you the correct amount of replacement cost money for the item you currently own.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't know any of these people, but geez.  "I'm only 21?" Seriously?  This person, male or female, fucked up big time.  Then writes an email to a vendor, trying to find a way of getting out of this; getting someone else to pay for it.  I really feel bad for this guy.  But the kid who did this, should pay for this.

I too spent many years wanting and saving up for NV.   If my 21 year old kid did this, I would be pretty fucking pissed.  21 is like the new 4 years old, I suppose.

Here's the thing.  When I wuz a kid, I knew better than to fuck with any of the old man's stuff.  He kept a loaded .45 on the nightstand and I NEVER touched it without permission.  NV woulda been in the same cat.  I could go on and on, but, yeah.          
View Quote
The "only 21" thing struck me as funny as well, like "I'm not mature enough to act like an adult."

In reality, many millenials, for some inexplicable reason, just don't understand how "things" work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Regarding the insurance (comment quoted from earlier post),
"For instance, if I break these during a civil war they will not be covered. Insurrection, rebellion, invasion and usurped power are all no no's lol"

These days, that may not be so funny depending upon the definitions of these terms.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Welp, I hope he wasn't paying her college... cause he ain't no mo!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The "only 21" thing struck me as funny as well, like "I'm not mature enough to act like an adult."

In reality, many millenials, for some inexplicable reason, just don't understand how "things" work.
View Quote
It's one of the reasons humanity is stuck in this rise nd fall of empires type of loop.

Hard work typically ends up with decadence and parents "not wanting their kids to have to live like them". Then so many people become lazy and entitled they overwhelm the system (sound familiar) and it's all over from there. Just a matter of time.

Which, is TERRIBLE. Obviously there is a lot more to it but that's the gist.

Hell I know I had it to easy. I'll make sure my daughter has what she needs but I'm not going to do that and make her another worthless human being. Nope.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just a heads up, USAA will not cover NODs as part of their Valuable Item policy. However they will cover them under a renters/homeowner vehicle policy if they are stolen, burned up in a fire. So you are somewhat limited
View Quote
Wait whaaattt

I've had NODS insured under my VPP policy for years. I need to call them and see what's up
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#25]
State Farm has a Personal Articles Policy that covers just about anything. I've got my 14 insured through them and i've insured various crap like laptops, drones, ect.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad to hear you guys have it good insurance wise over there. Here where I live we have pretty much no options to insure anything for it's true value, but they count 10-20% reduction per year off. Fortunately one company has an exception in the category of binoculars, and that for some reason is without a yearly reduction, plus covers NOD binos unless the person handling the possible case has a bad day and classifies them as a camera or something.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not rocket science. If you don't teach your kids how to act like adults, their bodies will mature over the years but they still won't know how to act like adults. Poor parenting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
State Farm has a Personal Articles Policy that covers just about anything. I've got my 14 insured through them and i've insured various crap like laptops, drones, ect.
View Quote
I also have State Farm and they are GTG
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Tweener logic: eclipse = dark, therefore need to view eclipse with something that sees in the dark.

All bashing aside, she should buy a lottery ticket. Based on her request to 'get the lens replaced', she has no idea how: 1) NV works, and 2) truly by dumb luck, a couple of tubes stood between the sun and her blinding herself.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#30]
1) I don't either

2) Yeah no shit.  Two tubes between her and the sun.  Total blindness for the rest of your life.  Not sure if this is just stupidity, drugs, booze or some combination.  Unfuckingbelievable.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
1) I don't either

2) Yeah no shit.  Two tubes between her and the sun.  Total blindness for the rest of your life.  Not sure if this is just stupidity, drugs, booze or some combination.  Unfuckingbelievable.
View Quote
Probably ignorance and gullibility. I saw more than one Instagram post the day of, from guys saying they are using their nods to view the eclipse. Of course we all laughed but someone who's clueless probably thinks it was a good idea.  I have no idea why a 21 year old would see posts like that and think to touch her dads nods to try it though.

Some of this is on dad. My daughter is 3 and all i do is explain to her why we don't touch things without asking. She already pretty much gets it. If your 21 year old thinks it's ok to touch your stuff it's somewhat on you. Somewhat.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Some of this is on dad. My daughter is 3 and all i do is explain to her why we don't touch things without asking. She already pretty much gets it. If your 21 year old thinks it's ok to touch your stuff it's somewhat on you. Somewhat.
View Quote
He might have just gotten them, but if I had a daughter I'd certainly be teaching her how to use them and how they work long before she was 21.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#33]
My first thought was Bino's... Two tubes...

:(

I wonder how bad the damage was? 

My second thought was;

"Hey dad, why do your NODs have funny moon-shaped blemishes?"
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Well yeah good point.  I grew up on military bases and my aunt's ranch in summers.  Guns were just a part of life.  You were taught how to handle them (or not as the case may have been).  These days they are so demonized that people hide the fact they have them, must less teach their children about them.  Much the same for military equipment such as this. But IQ's must have fallen to room temperature lately.  What on God's green earth would convince you that it would be a good idea to use a BNVD for viewing an eclipse?  That's about as fucking stupid as using a weedeater to trim your pubies.      

Basically it comes down to people who do stupid things, because they've been taught their whole lives that no matter what they do, it's "OK".  Insurance (among other things) has become the default solution for stupidity, negligence, and bad choices.  I would be surprised if there wasn't some kind of "go fund me" charity set up by now.  This has become the new norm.   So yeah, let's yuck it up, throw a twenty in the pot, and drive on.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#35]
I think when this tube goes in for replacement we need a photo through the tube. For academic reasons, of course. :)
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's one of the reasons humanity is stuck in this rise nd fall of empires type of loop.

Hard work typically ends up with decadence and parents "not wanting their kids to have to live like them". Then so many people become lazy and entitled they overwhelm the system (sound familiar) and it's all over from there. Just a matter of time.

Which, is TERRIBLE. Obviously there is a lot more to it but that's the gist.

Hell I know I had it to easy. I'll make sure my daughter has what she needs but I'm not going to do that and make her another worthless human being. Nope.
View Quote
Calls out problem with society, proceeds to enable said problem.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Calls out problem with society, proceeds to enable said problem.
View Quote
So making sure she has basic stuff is enabling the problem of children being handed everything and told they don't have be responsible for anything including themselves?

Ok bucko
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#38]
My Nationwide agent informed me that my NODs could be covered under the photography part of my homeowners policy.  I have not tested this.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My Nationwide agent informed me that my NODs could be covered under the photography part of my homeowners policy.  I have not tested this.
View Quote
They won't offer you an additional plan specifically for them like mine does?

There might be third party insurance venders that do something like that but I've never looked.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They won't offer you an additional plan specifically for them like mine does?

There might be third party insurance venders that do something like that but I've never looked.
View Quote
They're already covered under my regular plan (my deductible is less than half the cost of the NODs).  I never asked about scheduling them.  I've scheduled other items with them without a problem.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#41]
is she blond?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They're already covered under my regular plan (my deductible is less than half the cost of the NODs).  I never asked about scheduling them.  I've scheduled other items with them without a problem.
View Quote
Ah. Gotcha.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:19:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
is she blond?
View Quote
Idk but she can spell better than you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:15:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Wait whaaattt

I've had NODS insured under my VPP policy for years. I need to call them and see what's up
View Quote
I've had that conversation with USAA in regards to VPP policy.  TLDR - they don't have a category for NVGs and won't cover them.  However, they will cover guns, scopes, and gun accessories.  You need to get a weapon mount for your PVS-14 and list it as a scope/scope accessory.

ETA:  I had a new NVG rifle scope and scheduled it on my VPP.  24 hrs later, during the first range session, something inside broke bigly after firing the 3rd round.  After I quit crying I called USAA and they assured me they would cover it if I couldn't get the manufacturer/vendor to take care of things.  Ended up getting it returned no problems but was nice to know USAA had my back.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
is she blond?
I would rather suck at spelling then ruin a pair of PVS14s, I already ruined one, well duracell did
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Well played sir.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would rather suck at spelling then ruin a pair of PVS14s, I already ruined one, well duracell did
View Quote
You do suck at spelling (than, not then), but you didn't ruin a PVS14.  You upgraded it to WP using Duracell's warranty.  Well played indeed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top