Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2017 1:56:08 AM EDT
Good evening gents,

I'm coming to you here in hopes that those with experience can lead me down the right (or best) path.

To start, I have experience with a wide variety of gear having been in the corps back during OIF 2, 3, and 5. I was our company DMR so I have experience with both NVG's as well as Thermal's. Having transitioned back into the civilian world as of 8 years ago, I have been out of the NVG game for awhile.

Moving forward, I just purchased a PVS14 (Omni VIII) from TNVC. I have to say, the customer service there is bar none some of the best I've ever experienced and is the main reason why I decided to purchase from them. Depending how far down the rabbit hole I go, I may want to invest in a set of Mod 3's since I've never used bino's.

So now, the questions;

Intended use - this will strictly be used on a helmet of some sort. Being in CA, attaching NVG's to a rifle is a no-no. I will use it for hitting paper and/or steel at various ranges and nothing more. They could possibly be used for hunting but that's only when I visit my father in Texas.

Helmet - there are a variety of helmets available so this is where I need a bit of help. I don't need a ballistic helmet, but I don't want something cheap either. I was thinking something out made out of carbon fiber or the sort (light, yet strong). There is Team Wendy, Mtek, and Ops Core and I'm not sure which to consider. Heck, I don't even know what size to use but I'll assume that I should use a "Small" since that's the size I used when I was in the corps. Cost is no object.

Style - I see options like high-cut, etc. and not really sure where the differences lay. I do want a helmet that has plenty of after-market support since I like to change things up often.

Shrouds - Wanting to walk before I run, I want this helmet to focus primarily on using a PVS14 (even though I stated using bino's in the future). Seeing as how there are a ton of shrouds available, what are some things to avoid? I see some require the use of screws to attach it to a helmet, whereas others use a strap, etc. I simply want a reliable, no frills setup. Cost is no object.

Mounts/Arm/adapters - This is where things are a bit overwhelming; there are tons of mounts and mounting systems. I've seen that Wilcox is the way to go, but there are models from the "19" up to the "70". Are there different types because they only work for specific NVG's or are they somewhat "universal" with the use of an adapter/arm? One that was specifically recommended to me was the "L4 G24" but I want to make sure I'm not "settling" when there's something stronger and/or more reliable. Cost is no object here but seeing my intended use, I don't see the need for a $1k mount if a $600 mount does the same for my needs.

Accessories - The most I see myself adding to this setup would be a counter-weight pouch for some batteries, a low-profile IR strobe/marker, and some earpro. One that stood out to me was the TNVC Mohawk MK2 which gives me a mounting platform for an IR as well.

Talking about earpro, do all helmets come with those arc rails? Or are they all offered separately because I see TNVC offers arc rails for the Ops Core helmet (but don't know if they work for other helmets). I plan on attaching my earpro to my helmet as to have them available any and all times I decide to own the night. Personally, I prefer in-the-ear, but hate that the better style ear plugs are attached by lanyard, etc. or can get lost easily. For that reason, the Peltor Hybrid's appealed to me. I'll also consider with over the ear so that's not a deal breaker.

Last but not least, which is covered in the accessories portion, are bungee cords necessary? I see them wrapped all over other helmets, and wondered if they were simply a means of preventing your NVG's from falling off and hitting the ground or if they served any other purpose.

Again, loaded question but I come to you guys, the experienced, to help a former marine to Own the Night all over again
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Helmet - there are a variety of helmets available so this is where I need a bit of help. I don't need a ballistic helmet, but I don't want something cheap either. I was thinking something out made out of carbon fiber or the sort (light, yet strong). There is Team Wendy, Mtek, and Ops Core and I'm not sure which to consider. Heck, I don't even know what size to use but I'll assume that I should use a "Small" since that's the size I used when I was in the corps. Cost is no object.
View Quote
If you don't need ballistic then look at a bump or carbon. I haven't used the MTEK, but I've heard good things. I currently own a Team Wendy Bump and Ops Core Carbon. The padding in the Team Wendy is better, but the retention on the Ops Core is better. I plan to upgrade my Ops Core to the 4G Deluxe pads that TNVC sells. The consensus seems to be that they are more comfortable than the TW helmets.

Style - I see options like high-cut, etc. and not really sure where the differences lay. I do want a helmet that has plenty of after-market support since I like to change things up often.
View Quote
Like I said above, I have only used the TW and Ops Core... Both of those are high cut helmets. I would recommend going with a high cut if you plan to use ear pro.

Shrouds - Wanting to walk before I run, I want this helmet to focus primarily on using a PVS14 (even though I stated using bino's in the future). Seeing as how there are a ton of shrouds available, what are some things to avoid? I see some require the use of screws to attach it to a helmet, whereas others use a strap, etc. I simply want a reliable, no frills setup. Cost is no object.
View Quote
I don't know a ton about the shrouds. All of the helmets listed above come with them. One thing to keep in mind would be if you want to get a shroud that can accept a Wilcox lanyard (cheap insurance for your nods).

Mounts/Arm/adapters - This is where things are a bit overwhelming; there are tons of mounts and mounting systems. I've seen that Wilcox is the way to go, but there are models from the "19" up to the "70". Are there different types because they only work for specific NVG's or are they somewhat "universal" with the use of an adapter/arm? One that was specifically recommended to me was the "L4 G24" but I want to make sure I'm not "settling" when there's something stronger and/or more reliable. Cost is no object here but seeing my intended use, I don't see the need for a $1k mount if a $600 mount does the same for my needs.
View Quote
If you plan to get binos at some point, I would get the Wilcox L4 G24 and the Wilcox dovetail arm. That is the best setup you can get and you can use the same mount when you get binos. If you want to save money up front... get a RHINO II mount and standard Jarm.

Accessories - The most I see myself adding to this setup would be a counter-weight pouch for some batteries, a low-profile IR strobe/marker, and some earpro. One that stood out to me was the TNVC Mohawk MK2 which gives me a mounting platform for an IR as well.
View Quote
This will be perfect, but get the TNVC MK1 and not the MK2. The MK2 is the one built to hold the anvis battery pack.

You might want to mount an IR light or admin light on your helmet. I wouldn't worry about that until after you have it and have time to figure out what you have a use for.

Talking about earpro, do all helmets come with those arc rails? Or are they all offered separately because I see TNVC offers arc rails for the Ops Core helmet (but don't know if they work for other helmets). I plan on attaching my earpro to my helmet as to have them available any and all times I decide to own the night. Personally, I prefer in-the-ear, but hate that the better style ear plugs are attached by lanyard, etc. or can get lost easily. For that reason, the Peltor Hybrid's appealed to me. I'll also consider with over the ear so that's not a deal breaker.
View Quote
MTEK, Ops Core, and TW all come with rails... but Ops Core is the only one that uses the arc rail. All of them use their own rail... so mounting stuff is going to be different from helmet to helmet. If you plan to mount ear pro to the rails you're going to want to get the Peltor adaptors or Unity Tactical MARK adapters. You are going to have to pick which style based on which helmet you purchase.

I haven't used the Unity Tactical ones yet... but I plan to switch to them. Look into those as they take up less space.

For ear pro... I have never owned Peltors, but plan to get some eventually. I currently own MSA Sordins and love those. The only downfall to those is you have to get the Iron Forged Concepts SARA adapters to mount those to the Peltor adapters. You don't have to make any changes to the Peltors which is nice.

Last but not least, which is covered in the accessories portion, are bungee cords necessary? I see them wrapped all over other helmets, and wondered if they were simply a means of preventing your NVG's from falling off and hitting the ground or if they served any other purpose.
View Quote
The bungee cords that attach to your nods are helpful. They help take any wobble out of the NV in front of your eye. They also help keep them from being knocked off. The ones that people have all over their helmets are based on their use. Some are used to hold goggles or strobes on. It depends on the user.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If your more than likely to invest in binos in the near future getting a ballistic helmet is your best bet since you will not need a counter balance. Also with our buddy Gavin Newsome "the anointed one" more than likely to become Komifornia's next governer I'm sure he has plans on banning ballistic armor to "save the children", so buying now is advisable.  
As for mounts the standard MARSOC/WARCOM 3 hole pattern is a more stable platform vs using a single hole and/or strap. Ops Core & Wilcox makes some sturdy shrouds with optional lanyards, pick one or the other and you can't go wrong. When deciding to buy a lowering arm the 2 basic types are either bayonet/horn or dovetail. Dovetail is what I'd choose if your going binos in the future, it's more stable vs the bayonet when running duals. TNVC made a good video on mounts/arms that will help you make a decission which may be best for our application
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BesYwSzxj7w
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:11:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a AB Nightvision MOD3 and you can have goggles and monos like a PVS-14 all in one
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#4]
There are so many options and price points on this stuff.  I try to shoot for middle of the road, however opinions vary.  You've got a nice start with a good -14.  And you can't go wrong with TNVC either.  I'd go back there for most everything else you need.  First off is mission.  If this is strictly sport, with possible hunting, I'd go the bump helmet route.  There are a few vendors but I wouldn't go with anyone other than OpsCore.  I'd get the polymer or carbon bump helmet, which will have their rails, and suspension, and shroud on the carbon.  Also their cover, or First Spear.  Then I'd get a GI Rhino II and J-arm.  That is a solid set up for a MNVD for sport or hunting.  Add in a Mohawk, a couple of IFF patches, an IFF light, and a side admin light and you're pretty set up.  The counter weight makes things a lot more comfortable.  Some IFF for training purposes is always a good idea.  And having a little admin light is nice to have.

I like bungees, but I use SOT's tip and use one continuous piece that stretches from side to side and under the J-arm release lever.  This keeps things tight and also helps keep the J-arm for accidental release.

If you look on a couple of threads here you will find some really good tips.  Like using a 07 Butler Creek cap, with a ~.225" hole as a re-focus/mixed light cover.  And a Wilcox IR filter for the rear instead of an eye cup.  And some good ideas for a safety lanyard (highly recommended).  And a threaded 30mm filter lens or LIF as a sacrificial lens in conjunction with the Butler Creek.  Lots of good stuff in the "do's and don'ts" and "school me" threads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top