Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2017 8:15:08 PM EDT
Age old question: Push Button or Tape Switch

Wall of text.
Here is the question upfront: Does having IR Light and Laser on 1 button take away the need for the dual tape switch? (Dbal A3, A4 etc)
Also, feel free to post up your NV specific rig setup.

This is a setup I have used for quite a while now (only daytime)
Its second nature to:
Grab just behind the dbal if it isn't needed
C grip that dbal button up top when needed
Or drop down to the clicky light on the SF
-Major issue is lack of ambi with weak side....and the light on the nuts/knees side can have its down sides.
(Obviously the biggest issue with this setup is not being able to IR light/laser at the same time instantly)

Now, my low speed high drag self says push button is more reliable and wires / switches break.
Interested in taking some NV shooting courses...so Ive been watching some videos to see whats being recommended:

IR Light/laser must come on at the same time....that I understand.
Not having to alter your firing grip to manipulate light/laser made sense to me.

So I switched to an all new type of setup to try it out....and it just doesn't feel right.
Feels like im gonna snap the switch socket off while transitioning under "stress" - Maybe I should find a mount that pushes it out further.
I find it tough to keep the momentary switch from flashing under "stressful" shooting/moving - Maybe im weak.

Having to choke back on the rail sucks too...its does help to move the stock out.
I even tried another setup to get just a little more rail length and it did help a bit....but im pretty married my 9.5G/10.3 for a general purpose "go to" type rig.

SO - Am I too go back to the original setup shown...but with the A3 instead?
Is this what all the new LAMs with day/night lights are trying to accomplish... Ditch the switch?
Are all of these things a training issue? Doesn't matter what you have if you train enough with it..?
Is the latter setup generally accepted as being the "ideal" NV setup in current times? (hoping to hear from guys that have taken NV courses)
Ambi ability is king?

Rambling......
If your still reading, thanks Getting to specific training and gear nit-picking is the fun part

Im trying to get these 2 little guys setup the same way for night time fun! (they have seen plenty day)

Thanks bros. (insert fake night vision sound)
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice rigs. IMHO your good with just running the SR07-D-IT, but the ultimate universal for support and weapons activation you have to go with the TAPS PRO, so you have the option to run your Vampire for additional IR or run it using white light on the second switch and IR/IR on your LAM. Also youe A3 on you can run an additional tape switch on the vert grip for your VIS laser.

I run a 9007 top push button IR/IR, tape switch IR/IR on a vert grip, thumb activated additional IR or white light from a M622V. I'm a big advocate to activate my light with both hands and I may go with a TAPS PRO in the future, but just as important to have the ability to goe from IR to white light instantly.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice setups. Definitely a first world problem you got there. In for answers for myself as well.

How is the view through the scope withe the laser out front?

I have a similar rifle that I just ordered a peq-15 for.

I was thinking about mounting the laser at 3 0'clock and using a tape swith if it blocked the view.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried the Surefire dual switch, but after very little firing, the plug always backs out of my DBAL. Its a tight fit in a SF light, just not a non SF product, it seems.

I think I'll stick with a single use switch for the light, and just go thumbs for the DBAL.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:29:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tried the Surefire dual switch, but after very little firing, the plug always backs out of my DBAL. Its a tight fit in a SF light, just not a non SF product, it seems.

I think I'll stick with a single use switch for the light, and just go thumbs for the DBAL.
View Quote
That's a common problem. Just grind off the little bump at the base of the plug.
Like this
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:43:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's a common problem. Just grind off the little bump at the base of the plug.
Like this
View Quote
Appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Good mod.  Props to TNVC.

The OTAL will occasionally not work and I think maybe the SF switch might be the cause.  Gonna try this one myself.

I think in the end, the TAPS Pro is what you need, although in your case you could run the SF on the secondary, with the TAPS on your primary.  I think the TAPS will give you the most versatility, by allowing you to slave the light and laser together, with one button push.

On the switch placement, with the longer rail you have room for a top mount, but for the shorter rail, you may have to go with a side mount.  I mounted the OTAL out front at 12 o'clock, with the tape switch right underneath it at 9.  The Vampire is at 3 o'clock.  This is not ambidextrous, but I do not practice that technique.

The grip is how you plan to fight.  If you see yourself mostly shooting and moving standing up, especially at shorter ranges, then the c-clamp works well.  If you see yourself shooting standing, but also occasional squatting/kneeling behind cover, etc. then a more classic underneath grip might work better.  If your shooting is mostly positional, or hunting perhaps, then a classic grip for sure.  I prefer the c-clamp for faster, multiple target shooting, but the classic grip works for me, especially when kneeling and shooting NV out to 100m.  It can also be used for standing so that gives me the versatility I want.  As always, YMMV.

Another option would be to mount the Vampire at 9 o'clock, with a clicky cap, and the single (LAM) tape switch right behind it.  This is as close to single push activation as you can come without a good switch.  The thumb can kick the light on and them immediately drop back to activate laser.  Much shorter movement than two buttons separated by more distance.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#7]
BTDT - Tape switch beats push buttons all day.

I used to feel tape switches were a liability back in OIF, but back then you had to get some shitty innertube and zip ties to really make use of them. We have come a long way, and the Surefire dual switch is money with Larue index clips tucking in the wires. I have run a DBAL at 12:00 and a Surefire M300 at 10:00ish but could never get a comfortable grip on the gun especially in the rain and mud. Same goes for a PEQ15 at 12:00.

It just didn't feel "right". A dual switch feels totally natural and allows for easy muscle memory switching.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks bros. This is good content, keep it coming!

Taking everything into consideration and im sure this will help others.

I will report back with new setups that I am trying as well. Looking into taps and was looking at the A4.

Great thread!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Switch or button should go where it is naturally accessible with a good grip.  So push button works perfect for me on a 10" gun but with a longer rail like a 14.5" - 16" gun I'd want a tape switch as the primary means of activating lights and lasers.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#12]
This won't address your situation directly, but I share the aversion to wires.  My current fantasy setup is an Inforce WML up front at 12:00, with a MAWL right behind it.  You can easily protect the light from accidental activation, and all the buttons are on board and ambidextrous enough for occasional weak-side shooting and placed properly for a C grip.  Placement of a front backup sight is an issue, but I was thinking something that would mount in front of the light with a hole for the light to fit through would be pretty cool.  I've seen pictures of such a configuration and it seems like it would solve concerns about sight radius and keeping it out of the way until needed.

Since I'm still saving for the MAWL I haven't run this in a class so I don't know the relevance of the previous point about awkward positions needing the switch farther back.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#13]
New setup to try. This one feels just about the same as with no tape switch at all

I just cant get away from the C grip on the Dbal, just too used to it for now.

Acquired an Arisaka inline mount and successfully mounted the M600V high and tight.

This also allowed the SF to move further out, so it tucks the tape switch plug under the A3 a bit more.

Hated the feeling off grabbing on the plugged in tape switch, while shooting lefty with the last setup.

I dont know how I never knew this Magpul tape switch holder existed.

If it doesn't melt off or fall apart... this thing is legit. Its made for the G rail. No zip ties on the wire either!

(Which begs the question, does TAPS fit in the same position in said G rail?)

It does overhang a bit though (literally the ONLY way  this mount and setup etc would work)

And if you didn't notice.....I switched the barrel from 10.3 to 11.5.

Specwar 556k locking collar didn't jive with the over hanging light mount.

(Insert whole rifle pic, that I didnt get here: )

Ill drink the dwell time kool aid for a while and see how this setup shakes out.

A 10 or 10.5" MK8 would be a great addition too
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a great setup to me.  the push button on the dbal is already where your grip natrually is and the white light/IR (in your case) is tucked away.  I've found similar works well for me on a shorty, m600U on the 2'ish o'clock.  The tape switch for the M600U is out of the way so I never have any white light AD's but it's still easy enough to hit with my thumb or fingertips left handed.

2017-07-14 18.23.49 by ,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top