User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Almost as bold as telling someone where to spend their money.
View Quote
Please point out where I did that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#3]
This also isn't the Industry forum.

Why are we having such a hard time with the free exchange of ideas here? You post something about another product and you're a troll. You post something about a competitive price and you're a douche.

There's not much the OPs can do if FLIR doesn't do them any favors in terms of demand creation. It's unfortunate that FLIR seems to leave all the ground level marketing to their resellers, but these same resellers sell ALL the competing products.

I still don't get this religion-like fanaticism that seems to be demanded in FLIR threads. 

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Before this gets too serious, I don't care enough to argue about it. Just wanted to mention something, didn't mean to start any BS.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This also isn't the Industry forum.

Why are we having such a hard time with the free exchange of ideas here? You post something about another product and you're a troll. You post something about a competitive price and you're a douche.

There's not much the OPs can do if FLIR doesn't do them any favors in terms of demand creation. It's unfortunate that FLIR seems to leave all the ground level marketing to their resellers, but these same resellers sell ALL the competing products.

I still don't get this religion-like fanaticism that seems to be demanded in FLIR threads. 

-Stooxie
View Quote
Stooxie, I don't think it's a FLIR thing.  I think it's more about a site sponsor starting a thread, answering questions, posting videos, etc.  Then someone saying "Thanks for all the info, I bought one from Walmart today!"

TNVC answered a lot of questions in previous threads on the IR Defense thermal I bought.  Had I bought it elsewhere I wouldn't have posted buying from a competing company in their thread.

Just my .02, it's worth what you paid for it.  

SgtH
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#8]
It just doesn't take much to light the fuse on someone's tampon these days.  Everyone is so self righteous that they turn everything into an argument or a fight. No wonder our country is so divided.

Tom, thanks for the info on the bluetooth and remote.  I'll be curious as to how those features would be used in the field.  For example, to use the app to adjust the sight, you'd have to take your eye out of the eyepiece and lose zero.  If you do that, why wouldn't it be just as easy to use the controls on the sight itself?  I'm sure there is good use for it, I just don't know what it is, so I'm hoping you or someone with experience can share how to best put those features to use.

I've got a couple things to sell to raise some capital for this, but when I do, I'll be in touch.  Thanks again for sharing about both amazing devices, the Flir and Pulsar.  I'm leaning strongly toward the Flir, but I"ll be watching closely to learn more about both of them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It just doesn't take much to light the fuse on someone's tampon these days.  Everyone is so self righteous that they turn everything into an argument or a fight. No wonder our country is so divided.

Tom, thanks for the info on the bluetooth and remote.  I'll be curious as to how those features would be used in the field.  For example, to use the app to adjust the sight, you'd have to take your eye out of the eyepiece and lose zero.  If you do that, why wouldn't it be just as easy to use the controls on the sight itself?  I'm sure there is good use for it, I just don't know what it is, so I'm hoping you or someone with experience can share how to best put those features to use.

I've got a couple things to sell to raise some capital for this, but when I do, I'll be in touch.  Thanks again for sharing about both amazing devices, the Flir and Pulsar.  I'm leaning strongly toward the Flir, but I"ll be watching closely to learn more about both of them.
View Quote
In Texas, which you now know is larger than Indiana, we sometimes have to scan fields that are over 1000 yards wide. When you put the scope on top of your truck in a pan/tilt housing, you will be thankful for the iPhone app and its wireless Bluetooth capability.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In Texas, which you now know is larger than Indiana, we sometimes have to scan fields that are over 1000 yards wide. When you put the scope on top of your truck in a pan/tilt housing, you will be thankful for the iPhone app and its wireless Bluetooth capability.
View Quote
Yeah, but would it help with your partner's depth perception?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Deleted
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Does the Thermosight Pro have any IPX rating? I saw that the Pulsar has IPX 7 rating.  I'd like to know that such an expensive unit could at least handle the rain.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does the Thermosight Pro have any IPX rating? I saw that the Pulsar has IPX 7 rating.  I'd like to know that such an expensive unit could at least handle the rain.
View Quote
It does. 

Don't quote me on this but it probably has a minimal submersion rating. 
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It does. 

Don't quote me on this but it probably has a minimal submersion rating. 
View Quote
I can't find it on the Flir web site.  I'd love to know for sure.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Weird, I know I've read it somewhere but didnt see it on flir website either. 

I would have sworn I read IP67 rating somewhere. Maybe not?

I'm sure it's at least rain proof?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about.  The Pulsar is submersible.  I just don't like the green view as much as some of the color options on the Flir.  I'd love to find that the Flir can handle a good hard rain, at least.

I sent Flir an email to ask about it.  I'm guessing I'll hear from them in a day or two, and I'll share what they say.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Waterproof, rated IP67"

From: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1353643-REG/flir_tab173wn9rx001_thermosight_pro_pts_233.html

It's not on the NGI website. That was the first place I looked.  Tom, I tried, brotha!
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#18]
So if one was to hack the pts233 for a head mount how could you go about it?
I find all the mounting options very confusing.Im sure down the road ill wind up with other NV or Thermal.

So would i get a will wilcox shoe and mount it up?
Since it isnt made for it i could remove the rail, use the rail, or so i dont modify anything just buy a  ADM mount and attach a shoe to it.

I know none of this is ideal, but what would you hackjobs out there do?

Im dieing to get my unit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about.  The Pulsar is submersible.  I just don't like the green view as much as some of the color options on the Flir.  I'd love to find that the Flir can handle a good hard rain, at least.

I sent Flir an email to ask about it.  I'm guessing I'll hear from them in a day or two, and I'll share what they say.
View Quote
I'll believe it when I hear it from Flir.  It is conspicuously missing from their own spec page.  That worries me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there any way to mount a magnifier behind one of these to allow 3X-6X magnification without the loss of resolution from using the FLIR digital magnification?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is there any way to mount a magnifier behind one of these to allow 3X-6X magnification without the loss of resolution from using the FLIR digital magnification?
View Quote
No, it is not a collimated Clip-On TWS.

When you add a magnifier to a TWS (not a collimated Clip-On TWS) you normally add a larger germanium lens to the objective lens, not a magnified lens to the ocular in order to avoid collimation issues.

Here is a 60mm germanium lens added on to the 35mm germanium objective of my FLIR M-18:

Here is my M-18 without the 60mm objective magnifier:

Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So if one was to hack the pts233 for a head mount how could you go about it?
I find all the mounting options very confusing.Im sure down the road ill wind up with other NV or Thermal.

So would i get a will wilcox shoe and mount it up?
Since it isnt made for it i could remove the rail, use the rail, or so i dont modify anything just buy a  ADM mount and attach a shoe to it.

I know none of this is ideal, but what would you hackjobs out there do?

Im dieing to get my unit.
View Quote
Don't have one in hand yet but from the pics, I think helmet-mounting would be very difficult. I modded my HD19A simply by cannibalizing a j arm but the HD19A just happened to have the same thread pitch on its tripod mount as a PVS14. Unless the pts233 mount screws are workable, I don't see a way, and even then the unit would be upside down.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:36:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I dont know what you mean by the threads being workable..the qd mount on the pts233 obviously can be removed because There is the other mount that NGI mentioned would be available,yes it would be mounted upsidedown.
Thats why i meant i would utilize the side rail or the tapped hole that attach it. So the buttons would be on the side.

Its hard to speculate. Ill have to wait till i have it in hand to see if its even worthwhile.all the mounts are quite expensive if just mounting a $2k unit
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I dont know what you mean by the threads being workable.
View Quote
What I mean is that I don't know whether the PTS233's female threads (the ones that hold the AD mount) are something that would accept a j-arm or dovetail.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Spoke with FLIR today. They confirmed IP67 on waterproof rating.
View Quote
What'd they say about shipping and efforts to fix the video-recording bugs?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What'd they say about shipping and efforts to fix the video-recording bugs?
View Quote
yeah, any word on shipping? ^^ I can hardly wait...
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When you add a magnifier to a TWS (not a collimated Clip-On TWS) you normally add a larger germanium lens to the objective lens, not a magnified lens to the ocular in order to avoid collimation issues.

Here is a 60mm germanium lens added on to the 35mm germanium objective of my FLIR M-18:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20M18%20Recon/FLIR%20M18%2060mm%20lens2.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20M18%20Recon/FLIR%20M18.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20M18%20Recon/FLIR%20M18%2060mm%20lens2.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20M18%20Recon/FLIR%20M18.jpg
Interesting, thank you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Spoke with FLIR today. They confirmed IP67 on waterproof rating.
View Quote
Thank you!!  That's good news!
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What I mean is that I don't know whether the PTS233's female threads (the ones that hold the AD mount) are something that would accept a j-arm or dovetail.
View Quote
Ok, i understand now. Thanks for clarifying.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Updates? Where are they?

This is worse than waiting on an NFA approval. 
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Ordered my unit on 8-4-17 and was told 2 or maybe 3 weeks out.
I sent an email to nightgoogles the other day asking what our ETA was with no response.
I guess I'll send another......
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

yeah, any word on shipping? ^^ I can hardly wait...
View Quote
You asked that question on 8-28-17 with zero response from nightgoogles.
I hope since he has filled his "pre-order limit" he hasn't just disappeared on us?!?!
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm waiting until they start shipping to place an order.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Im curiois how many units NGI ordered VS have sold.
Like a dick i ordered from optics planet.i thought it was a good idea.now that i am having a hard time about a different item im remembering the one other time i ordered optics from optics planet which i had forgotten. I ended up waiting months  and ended up  canceling  later and paying MSRP somewhere else. Ultimately i was unhappy and overpaid for my purchase.

I am not sure where i am at now... or if i should order a diffenr aimimg device and getting thermals and NG.
I would have been happied if i receive what i ordered.. now im rethinking everything.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#37]
What are you worrying about, sounds like you're in the same boat as everyone else.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#39]
True, it just seems like everything is being difficult lately.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#40]
These things seem to be out of stock everywhere now.  Are there reported problems with units, production problems, or just high demand?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
These things seem to be out of stock everywhere now.  Are there reported problems with units, production problems, or just high demand?
View Quote
They were never "in" stock.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They were never "in" stock.
View Quote
 How did TNVC and Night Goggles get their hands on them, then?  Did they just have demo units?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Correct, pre-production units we were testing.
View Quote
Did they give an indication as to how close the pre-production unit was to what the production units will be, in terms of image quality and/or features?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Did they give an indication as to how close the pre-production unit was to what the production units will be, in terms of image quality and/or features?
View Quote
Production units are light years ahead of of pre-production Beta units with all the updates in software, firmware, and button ergonomics. That is specifically what the Beta units were designed for.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Production units are light years ahead of of pre-production Beta units with all the updates in software, firmware, and button ergonomics. That is specifically what the Beta units were designed for.
View Quote
True, but I'd like to hear what specifics they may have given to those with pre-production units, if they told them anything at all.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Haha, that's simple.

They specifically told the Beta unit users to abuse the shit out of them and report back what deficiencies arose or improvements they would like to see in the production models.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Haha, that's simple.

They specifically told the Beta unit users to abuse the shit out of them and report back what deficiencies arose or improvements they would like to see in the production models.
View Quote
Tick tock goes the how much longer clock.  Seriously though ....these aren't shipping yet...not good for people drooling over the q14b.  So long q14, see you in 2018....maybe?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Hmm, maybe not
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
And apparently light years away from becoming reality too!!
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top