BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't personally have a problem with you but when different people say the same thing about you followed up by calling you a douche maybe it's time to consider it's you and not everyone else.

That and your refusal to definitively explain your affiliation with FLIR also makes people view you through a suspect eye. Obviously you don't owe anyone here anything but then you can't balk over opinions formed about you.  

View Quote
Awesome, I don't have a personal problem with your thermal video love, some people are like that and others are not. As far as opinions go, I believe everyone is entitled to them, so gotta get used to it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My undersyanding is that Tom at Night Goggles has these for sale now.
View Quote
Production PTS233 TWS will be in folks hands in a couple of weeks, that's when the real technical eyeballing of videos begins.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Production PTS233 TWS will be in folks hands in a couple of weeks, that's when the real technical eyeballing of videos begins.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Couple of weeks from when?
May 1st,
June 1st,
July 1st,
August 1st?
2017?
2018?
2020?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Awesome, I don't have a personal problem with your thermal video love, some people are like that and others are not. As far as opinions go, I believe everyone is entitled to them, so gotta get used to it.
View Quote
It's not love per say, I've just been....mislead....so to speak by specs before. Some companies are more guilty if it than others.  

And I know sometimes videos can be manipulated too.   I just feel with something that you're actually going to be looking through should.....actually be looked through instead of just reading specs. Of course I didn't mean to imply they are worthless.

And I know I'm a douche so it doesn't matter to me when someone else verbalizes it lol.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm definitely excited.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't personally have a problem with you but when different people say the same thing about you followed up by calling you a douche maybe it's time to consider it's you and not everyone else.

That and your refusal to definitively explain your affiliation with FLIR also makes people view you through a suspect eye. Obviously you don't owe anyone here anything but then you can't balk over opinions formed about you.  

View Quote
We already know the answer to that question. Been discussed in other threads. He has zero affiliation with FLIR. The dictionary definition of a groupie.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, some the great technical thermal distance /ranging article links to discuss are to Truijicon and DRS, in case you did not know I have numerous of their thermal kits too and obviously must be working for them too!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, some the great technical thermal distance /ranging article links to discuss are to Truijicon and DRS, in case you did not know I have numerous of their thermal kits too and obviously must be working for them too!
View Quote
What does "kits" in you phrase "thermal kits" stand for?

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We already know the answer to that question. Been discussed in other threads. He has zero affiliation with FLIR. The dictionary definition of a groupie.

-Stooxie
View Quote
*shrug*. Ok. Fair enough. I missed it before

His pics do show an impressive array of weaponry and accessory, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I also received a response from flir saying it did have the Bluetooth.
They also said they are shipping in 2 to 3 weeks..

Hope it gets here soon my expectations are growing daily.
I know its been said but these prices and current level of technology are a blessing after window shopping for 10 years.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In an effort to keep this thread on topic... Two great Thermal Weapon Sights going head to head here!

Ambient temperature was 80*F with low humidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXXwVeKMyYQ

Before anyone complains about this not being an apples to apples comparison, I KNOW! There's far too many varying factors to do that here.
Also, The PULSAR Core RXQ30V has a Sapphire Green OLED display only and therefore doesn't have a black and white display like the FLIR PTS233.
In addition, the PULSAR has no built-in DVR so this was filmed through the eyepiece while the FLIR was filmed with the built-in DVR. Hopefully, you get the idea.

We did the best we could to show an unbiased comparison between these two impressive thermals and let the end-user decide for themselves which one best suits their needs. ENJOY!
View Quote
Tom this is great.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My undersyanding is that Tom at Night Goggles has these for sale now.
Sounded like the firmware updates are significant and from what I've been told here, thermal video is seldom as clear as looking through the optic itself (fairly obvious I guess), I'm looking forward to some field use of the final product.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]
You are correct, there have been significant firmware and software updates over the Beta units that the new production units will incorporate.

One simple one was a software upgrade that decreases battery consumption by 25%, many of the others have been for monkeying around with the button controls and what actions are taken when they are pressed one, two, or three times, also the internal menus/choices have been cleaned up, the AGC was adjusted better, the DDE improved, and contrast adjustments all improved.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice comparison video. Heck, they looked the same to me. 

Flip a coin. 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice comparison video. Heck, they looked the same to me. 

Flip a coin. 
View Quote
well- to me the FLIR boson looked more detailed and clearer

BUT - why not shoot the actual displays on both? That would be apples to apples.
Is there something bad that happens when you video the FLIR Boson display?
The video said the other thermal was the display and not internal recording.
Why not have more apples to apples?

Why not video what the human eye interfaces with on both devices?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Flir looks better to me.  Nothing against pulsar, but if I wanna see green I'll look thru my pvs14

The pulsar is cheaper, not a bad product at all.

Thank you for the videos, your vids give me something to watch in anticipation for the q14 to finally be released :)
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for that video!!  What were some of the ranges to the cows, cars, etc?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:52:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:49:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank you, you did the best you could with what you had.

I'm guessing they both look similar when viewed with your eyes.

My personal take is I very much dislike the green Plusar. Which is funny because I like my green NV.

So I'd probably roll with the FLIR. Not to mention the internal DVR.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#24]
The Pulsar and Flir both look good for the price range, I will probably get the Flir in the next few months because I also want a WP PVS14 so I think going from one to the other while walking and hunting would be good for me. Someone who has green NV might prefer the green screen on the Pulsar for uniformity, just my guess though as I have yet to own any NV yet.(That will be fixed shortly though)
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice video Tom.  Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Good lord, this thread is a perfect example of why I don't come around much anymore. Epic dick measuring contest, arrogance, ignorance, you name it.

Hell, it took to the 4th page to answer a VERY simple, very general question that was asked on page 1. When did this forum get moved from a technical sub-forum into GD? I must be lost.

Quoted:
Image quality is also very dependent on the video processing software and algorithms and the read out circuitry, so identical systems with same pixel size and lens but different processing also will appear different.
View Quote
Weren't you just the one telling us a few pages ago that you ONLY go on specs/data-sheets and that's all that was needed? Yet here you emphasize that software and algorithms can make units of similar specs vastly different. What gives?

The fact of the matter is, as biased, or apples-to-oranges as pics and vids are, it's the only way the vast majority of buyers will be able to compare units until the industry starts travelling around the country doing open demos (multiple competitors invited) of the units. Not everybody has unlimited financial backing like you do.

I realize that thermal has a much smaller customer base, but maybe the industry could be served by taking note of how the Title II industry has approached things. Knob Creek machinegun shoot among many other smaller shoots where potential customer, wishing for a hands-on demo, can show up, and there are numerous vendors/manufacturers there with goods they can try on a live-fire range. If seeing it in-person is the only real way to get a comparison then you (the manufacturer or vendor) need to make it happen, and it would serve you well to include as much competition; afterall, if your product really is better then the best marketing will be a hands-on comparison.

I think one of the best examples of this type of thing happened in Indiana a few years ago. A local Class III dealer got numerous suppressor vendors to come for a hands-on suppressor shoot called Hush. Gemtec, Liberty, Tompson Machine, and several others showed up (can't place them all right now). You paid $15 or $20 to get in, brought your own factory, boxed ammo, and could step up to the line and shoot ANYTHING you wanted. Some of the vendors brought their owned ammo for you to use free of charge (Gemtec had just released their subsonic 22 so they brought a shitload of it). The demise of that shoot wasn't because of the popularity, it was wildly popular! The publicly owned range underwent some changes due to an anti-gun local politician and the organizer was scooped up by one of the suppressor manufacturers to be a higher-up in their marketing and sales dept. There is no reason that somebody like Vic or another retailer wouldn't be able to do this on their own or have the pull to get several manufacturers to show up. The manufacturers that don't show up? Maybe you don't want their goods anyways, if they can't be bothered to let you put hands on their equipment they likely can't be bothered to support you should you ever have a problem with it.

Quoted:

There are some members here who seem to enjoy looking down at all the rest condescendingly, if they don't have an equal or greater amount of knowledge or experience(or if their knowledge base or experiences clash). Others are much more willing and/or capable of taking the time to actually teach or explain concepts, data sheets, and other technical data in laymen's terms as well as include real life scenarios. I feel that teaching others is one of the true joys in life; it's hard to comprehend the pleasure that others seem to come by  by sharing the fact that they know the answers, but then indicating that you better figure that shit out on your own...why be present in this technical forum at that point?
View Quote
+1  I'm not going to call any members out by name in a negative manner but the arrogance is very evident in this thread. Why even show up if you're not going to be helpful? Not everybody is an SME in this, and to become one takes more than reading a few pdfs and articles. Expecting people to just know this stuff or to be able to find it is awfully arrogant.

That being said, I was bored so I dropped in and found this gem, I think I've had my fix of night-vision forum for a few years!!!! Enjoy the bickering!

Hopefully we get some mods in here to clean this place up while I'm gone because this is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Eh. I get what you're saying but I'd much rather have it like this than like the ak forum here. That freakin mod is so annoying and makes it so unenjoyable I don't even go there anymore. You can say anything without the condescending ****editing it and speaking down to you like you're a child.

He thinks he's doing a service but he ruins it. People's conversations go different places just like in real life. Especially when there isn't much technical info available and we are all speculating

Yeah no thanks. The mods here are great. I applaud them. Who wants to worry about getting banned every time you log on because you might have said something off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Are you saying that the FLIR PTS233 only had a B&W screen?

I've seen videos that clearly show color.
View Quote
It has numerous color palettes in addition to Black Hot and White Hot.

Tom only recorded in B/W in this particular comparison video.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#30]
For a guy that wants a Thermal to put on his rifle to shoot pigs at say 100-150 yards, but would also use it to scan, these 320 screens seem a better fit then the more expensive 640 one that will come out next year, correct?  Im think with what limited knowledge I have, next years 640 systems will have a much narrower FOV, making scanning a field more difficult.  Am I on the right track?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For a guy that wants a Thermal to put on his rifle to shoot pigs at say 100-150 yards, but would also use it to scan, these 320 screens seem a better fit then the more expensive 640 one that will come out next year, correct?  Im think with what limited knowledge I have, next years 640 systems will have a much narrower FOV, making scanning a field more difficult.  Am I on the right track?
View Quote
The 320 will be fine for shooting pigs or coyotes out 250 yards, detection over double that.

640 will have a larger FOV though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The answer is simple. I only have one camera rig and one handicam. Totally unacceptable, right?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well- to me the FLIR boson looked more detailed and clearer

BUT - why not shoot the actual displays on both? That would be apples to apples.
Is there something bad that happens when you video the FLIR Boson display?
The video said the other thermal was the display and not internal recording.
Why not have more apples to apples?

Why not video what the human eye interfaces with on both devices?
The answer is simple. I only have one camera rig and one handicam. Totally unacceptable, right?!
Well,  Tom, thank you for taking those!  Getting better.  

I do agree with AR15Joe. You're not Joe Shmo off the street who is taking time out of his day to share with us.  You are trying to sell these and have the resources of one of,  if not the, biggest night vision dealers in the US behind you.  
So,  with that in mind,  I would say no,  not really  acceptable.  It's seems like it'd be pretty easy to have a second camera on hand(or sent to you).  Almost seems like it should be an SOP. Or,  if it's really just you on your own out there in UT,   how about those new phone adaptors? Even if that results in a loss of resolution  compared to the handicam,  at least it would be a uniform loss of resolution  between the 2 units.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#33]
The videos aren't even the same to begin with. The cows are in different positions. Filming both through the eyepiece could be accomplished without more than 30 seconds of delay w/r/t subject matter.

TNVC/NGI staff have already gone on record saying the RXQ30V detects further and has more rez. But you'd never know that watching the above video. It's gonna sell a lotta Flirs if it's all people look at.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just saying that you're an industry professional.
Somewhat different standards. You're not a kid in high school posting videos from his ATN X Sight or SM Photon.  You're part of TNVC and not only are you trying to sell people on these scopes,  you're trying to sell people on the adapters that will
help film through  them.
No need to get defensive.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just saying that you're an industry professional.
Somewhat different standards. You're not a kid in high school posting videos from his ATN X Sight or SM Photon.  You're part of TNVC and not only are you trying to sell people on these scopes,  you're trying to sell people on the adapters that will
help film through  them.
View Quote
He's not being defensive. Tom is a great guy. That's a genuine response.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:01:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
help film through  them.
View Quote
I didn't get the sense he was being defensive.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
help film through  them.
Rgr that.  I apologize for my take on it.  
I don't doubt it.  He seems to be.  I've followed his posts here and on PM since he got hired and PSF  before that.  Definitely not meaning to knock his character.  I've seen zero to indicate  that he is not a great guy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wasn't being defensive at all. I was thanking you for your insight. I agree with you about several things. I have learned several things.

Unfortunately our Tele Vue FoneMate PVS-14 adapter won't fit the PULSAR RXQ30V.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
help film through  them.
I wasn't being defensive at all. I was thanking you for your insight. I agree with you about several things. I have learned several things.

Unfortunately our Tele Vue FoneMate PVS-14 adapter won't fit the PULSAR RXQ30V.
My apologies.
Understood. That's a shame.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:15:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Apology accepted and completely unnecessary. It's always a challenge to portray an emotion using the written word. Even for an award winning Author.
View Quote
Very true, things can come off negative which were not meant to be.
As well as taking things in a positive light which were posted by someone that was just trolling.

Getting info to members is something that helps greatly, thru the eyepiece views are what I like to see to compare thermal units. So far I am most impressed with the trijicon units images. Hopefully the 640 boson will be as good or better time will tell.

Thanks for posting the videos!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
As well as taking things in a positive light which were posted by someone that was just trolling.

Getting info to members is something that helps greatly, thru the eyepiece views are what I like to see to compare thermal units. So far I am most impressed with the trijicon units images. Hopefully the 640 boson will be as good or better time will tell.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apology accepted and completely unnecessary. It's always a challenge to portray an emotion using the written word. Even for an award winning Author.

Yep, that's why my wife and I try to keep text to minimum and voice comms to a maximum.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I placed my order for a PTS233 from OpticsPlanet.

The wait begins.  
View Quote
Oh jeez....you know the OP sells these units, right?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Hang tough Tom.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And?  I had gift cards, not to mention a nice coupon.
View Quote
Posting in a man's thread saying you spent money with a competitor on the product that the thread is about is a bolt strategy. Let's see if it pays off.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Posting in a man's thread saying you spent money with a competitor on the product that the thread is about is a bolt strategy. Let's see if it pays off.
View Quote
Almost as bold as telling someone where to spend their money.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top