Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like FLIR's palettes, especially the Ironbow.

I guess I'm breathing a little sigh of relief, so far nothing is making me regret my Pulsar Helion XP38 and Trail XP50. I still think this doesn't have to be some "who is best" contest. People value different things. Biggest issue I see with the FLIR product right now is battery life. I sure hope any battery pack with a USB Type C cable will do. I was powering/recharging my Pulsar off a 26,000mah USB battery at scout camp last week. No problems at all.

The pics/video above show some beautiful images, for sure(!!), but so far it still feels like FLIR is playing catch up in terms of features and functions. Just an observation, not trying to bash. I'd love to see some crazy cool capabilities that really exercise the Boson core.

For the authorized vendors in this thread, any thoughts on whether or not FLIR's had a change of heart regarding bringing new features with future firmware upgrades? My lack of faith in that regard is the single biggest reason I have for not getting back on the FLIR wagon. My guess would be the feature list out of the box is going to be essentially it.

Thanks,
-Stooxie
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:00:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Correct. Not yet anyway.
View Quote
Your answer conflicts with what the spec sheet says.  The spec sheet says the unit can be powered through the USB-C port via 5V DC current.   A power-pack such as the Anker PowerCore 10000 should therefore sufficiently power the unit.

Please clarify.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Your answer conflicts with what the spec sheet says.  The spec sheet says the unit can be powered through the USB-C port via 5V DC current.   A power-pack such as the Anker PowerCore 10000 should therefore sufficiently power the unit.

Please clarify.
View Quote
His reply will be that they haven't turned on that capability in the firmware yet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:08:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Does thermal detect trolls?...or is that a different spectrum?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The only thing I don't understand is why you are apologizing for saving YOUR money.  This discussion occurring on a vendor initiated thread doesn't mean anyone owes the vendor anything.

Or has cronyism replaced capitalism on ARFcom?
View Quote
what I was thinking. People have lost their minds up in here lately.

My running theory is all the socially normal people are out being socially normal because they no longer fear impeding legislation against our "hobby" for lack of a better term.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

His reply will be that they haven't turned on that capability in the firmware yet.
View Quote
Negative, it is GTG
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW, the firmware and the software improvements incorporated into the production units is considerably improved over the Beta testing units, the last software update increased battery life by 25%.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The reason I replied, "not yet anyway" is because the Beta unit that we tested didn't have that capability. After double checking with FLIR, the production units will have that capability so no worries there.
View Quote
That's great news.  Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I watched the small handful of videos that are out on these so far hoping I would convince myself I didn't need to spend $2k....

It looks like I need to spend $2k.

A few newbish questions:
    I noticed the mount rides low and far back, would it interfere with a lower profile BUIS like the magpul mbus pros? One of the things that captures me with this is the ability to use several sighting profiles to swap around on rifles, and I'd love to be able to just toss it onto my 15-22 for home pest elimination at a moments notice, but if it didn't clear the sights, it wouldn't exactly be quick attaching.

Would you suggest this as someones FIRST and ONLY NV/Thermal sight for hunting/predator elimination? I see a lot of talk about identifying targets, from the videos ya'll have posted, it seems this would do that just fine, but I've seen others say thermal is for detection, NV is for identification. I also am worried about resolution with the 320 core at 4x digital magnification (giving an overall 6x if my math adds up), some of the demo videos show a rather grainy and crappy picture at higher magnification, is this mostly due to the higher humidity levels during testing giving bad reads, or does a hog at 150 yards really look like its built out of colorful cinder blocks?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I watched the small handful of videos that are out on these so far hoping I would convince myself I didn't need to spend $2k....

It looks like I need to spend $2k.

A few newbish questions:
    I noticed the mount rides low and far back, would it interfere with a lower profile BUIS like the magpul mbus pros? One of the things that captures me with this is the ability to use several sighting profiles to swap around on rifles, and I'd love to be able to just toss it onto my 15-22 for home pest elimination at a moments notice, but if it didn't clear the sights, it wouldn't exactly be quick attaching.

Would you suggest this as someones FIRST and ONLY NV/Thermal sight for hunting/predator elimination? I see a lot of talk about identifying targets, from the videos ya'll have posted, it seems this would do that just fine, but I've seen others say thermal is for detection, NV is for identification. I also am worried about resolution with the 320 core at 4x digital magnification (giving an overall 6x if my math adds up), some of the demo videos show a rather grainy and crappy picture at higher magnification, is this mostly due to the higher humidity levels during testing giving bad reads, or does a hog at 150 yards really look like its built out of colorful cinder blocks?
View Quote
I'm also shopping for my first thermal and would like to buy once cry once up to $2500...
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#14]
This might be my first foray in to thermal. Looks pretty cool. Priced right for sure. 

All things considered, for those well versed, how does this sucker stack up as a first and likely only thermal purchase?

Would it be foolish to also consider this a stand alone thermal monocular of sorts?

And last question. Any ball park idea as to the expected functional life of these things? 

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This might be my first foray in to thermal. Looks pretty cool. Priced right for sure. 

All things considered, for those well versed, how does this sucker stack up as a first and likely only thermal purchase?

Would it be foolish to also consider this a stand alone thermal monocular of sorts?

And last question. Any ball park idea as to the expected functional life of these things? 

Thanks.
View Quote
Same questions here.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#16]
awesomeness herein....

will this unit handle recoil impulse of a suppressed 9mm AR carbine ?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#17]
95% Confidence Interval MTBF = 20,000 operational hours on the microbolometer core.

7.62mm X 51mm recoil rated.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:27:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:38:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:42:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#22]
The 640 version is coming in 2018 from what's been posted here.

Can someone take a rough guess as to what that may translate to in unit cost, as well as it being worth the wait over this initial offering?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone have a good comparison of FLIR vs the ATN's which seem to have lots of whizz bang bells and whistles?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can someone take a rough guess as to what that may translate to in unit cost, as well as it being worth the wait over this initial offering?
View Quote
At least 1.5x the cost of the 320. Maybe 1.75x.

This is based on the difference between FLIR Thermosight 320 and 640 over on TNVC.

It's a complete guess, BTW.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The PTS233 would make a great entry level thermal, first thermal, only thermal, addition to thermal family, adopted step thermal-once removed, etc.

As far the MBUS is concerned, there's enough space beneath the PTS233 for an MBUS if you have enough room to mount if far enough forward. A collapsible stock would certainly help for eye relief. My stock is somewhat fixed so I mounted it back as far as possible.

Thermal is perfectly suited for small game, varmints, predators, nuisance animals, etc. The detection is astounding. You can literally see field mice in pitch black at 100 plus yards with the PTS233.

The clarity issues you're seeing while
zooming is common with ALL thermal devices that use a digital zoom. The reason is because each time you zoom, you cut your current resolution in half. So a 320 resolution thermal, such as the PTS233, at 2x zoom the resolution is only 160. 4x zoom is now only 80 resolution. Hence the blocky, blurry looking images.
View Quote
Which means you should consider what you will be hunting and at what maximum distance you plan to take a shot.

If you are going to be hunting fast movers (i.e. coyotes, pigs, etc) at distances under 200 yards you are going to be happiest with a base OPTICAL magnification of 2x to 2.5x which will give you wide enough of a FOV to be able to track at full run and get a second shot if needed.

If you are going to be taking shots at 400 to 500 yards, a base optical magnification of 4.5x to 5x will be fine even with a tighter FOV.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Here's a comparison for ya.

ATN=Harbor Freight
FLIR=Craftsman

Seriously though. From the research we've done, the failure rate of ATN products is substantially more than anyone else out there. Which is why we don't sell them.
View Quote
Since this is Tom's thread, I won't rise to his trolling about ATN

What you should know is TNVC underwrites AR15.com which is a much greater financial commitment than just site sponsorship - which is pretty pricey. Surprisingly, those who are too vigorous in their support of the ATN thermal products in this forum are likely to be contacted by TNVC and AR15.com management and be accused of being compensated by ATN when it isn't true.

Accordingly, I won't publish reviews or comparisons with ATN products on ARFcom anymore given the hidden and open hostility allowed by the site. 

If you would like to see hundreds of actual hunting videos , be able to ask questions or request help, I encourage people who are considering buying any ATN product to go to:

ATN SMart HD Owners forum

Which is a closed group but routinely let's those who are curious join.

Did I mention it has over 11,000 owners as members?

FYI, others will be along soon to troll more because for some reason they think having a resource like that group available 24/7 (it's global - people respond from all around the globe) to help and answer questions is a bad thing.

I can't WAIT to see what their solution for the new FLIR and Thermosight features (which partially duplicate the ATN scope features) will be for the thousands of questions that will be raised.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anyone have a good comparison of FLIR vs the ATN's which seem to have lots of whizz bang bells and whistles?
View Quote
This has been discussed to death at length on the internet.  Would be better for you to google it instead of ask us to spoon-feed you.  

I will add this much.  The one ATN electronic scope I owned was quickly dumped.  It advertised "lots of whizz bang bells and whistles," which ultimately failed in the field.  I don't get to hunt often enough for that to not be a big deal.  

I need my shit to work.

Pulsar products have never let me down.  I am excited to try this new offering from Flir.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, it looks like this is gonna be my first thermal.

Anticipate any sales between now and November?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Would work okay as monocular for scanning purposes. It's a bit heavy for that but not terrible. Removing the mount would make it more ergonomic. You can turn the reticle off as well so that's a plus too.
View Quote
Does the 12 degree FOV do good for scanning, was hoping for 16 degree for scanning/weapon sight/loaner sight but this might do the job, would I see much of a difference between a 12 degree and 16 degree FOV or not?

Will get a 640 down the road but would like something like this for scanning/backup purposes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Boson 320 and 640 camera cores were supposed to be first released last April/May 2016 and Sept/Oct 2016 respectively.

The 320 camera core finally have become available for retail purchase a few months ago, a full year later than the original due date. As of today, the 640 boson camera core is still not available for any purchase that I am aware of.

The price for the camera cores last were announced to be just below $1000 for the 320 core and $2000 for the 640.

The actual price I've found so far for the 320 camera core with no lens is around $1200 and lens models start around $1400-$1600 up to nearly $2500 depending on lens and sensitivity model. This is just what I have found that's currently available. I suppose other lens configurations could run higher?

I haven't actually found anywhere I could actually place an order for a 640 boson core to know for sure, but if what's been announced is accurate the 640 core may only be $1000 more. At this point who really knows? I'd be shocked if they put a 35-50 mm lense on 640 core version of the PTS233 and listed it for 6k?

I'm more concerned in the delay of 640 camera core itself than the final cost. Hopefully it won't follow in lock step with the delay of the first boson scope to market.

This is my 100% speculation based on some very limited information I've found online ever since skypup mentioned the boson a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Boson 320 and 640 camera cores were supposed to be first released last April/May 2016 and Sept/Oct 2016 respectively.

The 320 camera core finally have become available for retail purchase a few months ago, a full year later than the original due date. As of today, the 640 boson camera core is still not available for any purchase that I am aware of.

The price for the camera cores last were announced to be just below $1000 for the 320 core and $2000 for the 640.

The actual price I've found so far for the 320 camera core with no lens is around $1200 and lens models start around $1400-$1600 up to nearly $2500 depending on lens and sensitivity model. This is just what I have found that's currently available. I suppose other lens configurations could run higher?

I haven't actually found anywhere I could actually place an order for a 640 boson core to know for sure, but if what's been announced is accurate the 640 core may only be $1000 more. At this point who really knows? I'd be shocked if they put a 35-50 mm lense on 640 core version of the PTS233 and listed it for 6k?

I'm more concerned in the delay of 640 camera core itself than the final cost. Hopefully it won't follow in lock step with the delay of the first boson scope to market.

This is my 100% speculation based on some very limited information I've found online ever since skypup mentioned the boson a year or two ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, thank you.

I guess I'm trying to figure if this 320 model would leave me satisfied as a first and possibly only thermal? I'd Ike to see footage of Its view at various distances. 

From the little I've seen so far, it looks to be perfectly acceptable, but I know very little about thermal and I'd really like to avoid buyers remorse if the next model up is that much better. The feature set seems great to me.

I don't have exhaustive requirements really. A high quality thermal and a decent price that would be really effective out to say 2-3 hundred yards at very most. 
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Could i mount this on a carbine with a front sight post?...or does,it need to be on a flat top?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This has been discussed to death at length on the internet.  Would be better for you to google it instead of ask us to spoon-feed you.  

I will add this much.  The one ATN electronic scope I owned was quickly dumped.  It advertised "lots of whizz bang bells and whistles," which ultimately failed in the field.  I don't get to hunt often enough for that to not be a big deal.  

I need my shit to work.

Pulsar products have never let me down.  I am excited to try this new offering from Flir.
View Quote
What "fails in the field" is 95% user error because when you add a computer and WiFi and Bluetooth and stadiametric range finder and onboard video recording and ... bells and whistles just like FLIR and Pulsar are copying in their latest models the user is no longer operating an analog optical scope OR a digital scope which has so few features it's functionality is little different from an analog scope ... the end user has a computer and a learning curve to move up before they become proficient.

FLIR and Pulsar aficionados who believe this won't apply to those brands will learn differently because for the last 30+ years as computers have moved into everything there is no difficulty in making a computer do the same thing correctly over and over again - the difficulty is getting a human being to do the same thing correctly over and over again.

Having spent 30+ years in IT and being retired from founding a multi-national technology support group, I am looking forward to seeing how the companies copying ATN's features are going to remove the human being from the equation ... or provide free, 24/7 technical support to people literally in the field hunting which the members of the ATN Smart HD Owners forum do every single day of the week.

My interest is high considering my direct experience includes an individual who was raising hell because the #$%#$% scope wouldn't hold zero and was finally resolved when he posted, as requested, photos of the targets and shots he had taken which conclusively proved - he didn't know the first thing about zeroing an analog optical scope, wasn't following the directions provided in manuals, support from other members or video links provided to him and had, through confusion on his part, misstated what he had done and in what order. It took a day and half but we finally got him sorted out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I experienced zero trouble using using any and all of my dozens of FLIR scopes over the years, including the new Boson core Thermosight being discussed in this thread.

Never had to talk to anybody to learn how to use it as it was all 100% intuitive and simple to use even without reading the instruction manual or joining any FB group.

They all work like a charm all the time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#36]
This is where the philosophical differences come in. FLIR doesn't do all the bells and whistles because they opt for simplicity. This unit appears no different. For many folks that's a great thing. For others it's not. The scope can't be all things to all people. I personally want both-- bells and whistles AND reliability. So far so good for me.

There seems to be some circular talk here. You talk of Boson as if it's supposed to be SkyNet sitting in your thermal yet FLIR's philosophy to date has been clear: minimize bells and whistles to minimize user error and software issues.

Again, in all fairness, I'd love to know if FLIR's Outdoor and Tactical group is going to do things any differently going forward. There's people in this thread waiting to spend their hard earned cash, they deserve real information.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#37]
OK - anyone have warranty stories to tell about either ATN or FLIR?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is where the philosophical differences come in. FLIR doesn't do all the bells and whistles because they opt for simplicity. This unit appears no different. For many folks that's a great thing. For others it's not. The scope can't be all things to all people. I personally want both-- bells and whistles AND reliability. So far so good for me.

There seems to be some circular talk here. You talk of Boson as if it's supposed to be SkyNet sitting in your thermal yet FLIR's philosophy to date has been clear: minimize bells and whistles to minimize user error and software issues.

Again, in all fairness, I'd love to know if FLIR's Outdoor and Tactical group is going to do things any differently going forward. There's people in this thread waiting to spend their hard earned cash, they deserve real information.

-Stooxie
View Quote
I might be missing something here, and I've never owned any thermal, but this thing seems pretty straight forward to me. 

A few palates, reticals, zoom and focus settings. Inputs for peripheral use and that's that. Where exactly does user error come in to play with thermal optics?

I have no clue what Boson is, why it matters or how it works. What matters to me is the image clarity at various distances, the over all quality of the product and an acceptable field of view. Particularly compared to what the next models will offer and if this unit at this price point is worth buying and calling it a day or waiting for the 640 models would be a smarter choice.

The feature set seems more than adiquate to me anyway. I'm not sure what else I'd like from it, with the exception possibly of better zoom capability and I'm not even sure if that would ultimately matter to me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Would love to see side by side comparisons of these units. Not quite ready to drop $2K+ without comparing...

Does someone have a feature by feature comparison and imaging  / clarity?

Quoted:

Keeping with this thread on the new 12um Boson, this new 19mm performance and price point is setting the NEW standard of quality. I for one cannot wait until the hand held Q14B unit gets released, especially for all our LE guys who work the dangerous rural America beat who need a heat signature on the middle of the night where back up is 30 miles away.

FLIR has invested millions into this new 12um Boson with a price point no one can touch for quality and performance.

From the PTS223 19mm a few months back when I could not talk about what I was using.  Tom at NGI along with TNVC will have more to come....Much more on this new breed of the 12um Boson we feel the vast majority will enjoy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/320%2019mm%201_zpslmllu9vu.jpeg
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#43]
So how far out does this unit detect?  Badlands of Wyoming offer lots of wide open see foreverness...
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I might be missing something here, and I've never owned any thermal, but this thing seems pretty straight forward to me. 

A few palates, reticals, zoom and focus settings. Inputs for peripheral use and that's that. Where exactly does user error come in to play with thermal optics?

I have no clue what Boson is, why it matters or how it works. What matters to me is the image clarity at various distances, the over all quality of the product and an acceptable field of view. Particularly compared to what the next models will offer and if this unit at this price point is worth buying and calling it a day or waiting for the 640 models would be a smarter choice.

The feature set seems more than adiquate to me anyway. I'm not sure what else I'd like from it, with the exception possibly of better zoom capability and I'm not even sure if that would ultimately matter to me.
View Quote
You're not missing anything, sounds like your requirements and the product are well aligned. The are other features like Wifi, GPS, range finding, etc, that other units have that may or may not be desirable to people.

Some of the questions that get raised here are not trolling, but rather trying to fully understand the intentions of the company and product. What doesn't help seems to be the other end of the trolling spectrum which is people (who have zero affiliation with FLIR) posting their personal speculations and having them tacitly approved as fact. This is happening now in FLIR's Facebook post about the PTS233. I believe the same person here who does it has posted two pictures from a from a $45,000 T1K, with a 1,024 x 768 sensor, yet people will assume it is the PTS233 due to context. He even got nasty when someone called him out on it. FLIR should delete those pictures.

So, some who are labeled trolls are really just trying to make sure we all have accurate information before making a purchase. I would hope no one would be opposed to that.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Wow, what an outstanding deal you must have got, Stooxie, a FLIR Hi-Res TK1 for $45K! Please tell us all about it.

That's almost a 50% discount depending on what germanium lenses you got for it.

They do work simply amazing though, turning a dark night into day as you can see my UTV with the remote controlled FLIR Pan/Tilt in front of my feeder and HogBall.

The new uncooled VOx Boson 12 micron microbolometer cores image resolutions are just as good though, simply amazing!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#48]
When will we see NV goggles become this cheap?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Just to be clear, no one here is posting pics they are claiming were taken with the FLIR scope in the OP, that are actually pics from a much more expensive unit?

That is happening on Facebook, not here? Correct?
View Quote
The OP and other authorized vendors are posting correct information-- as far as I know, which is nothing beyond looking for consistency and actual product representation. I am just Joe Average citizen. Out of respect for them I am trying not to derail this thread. However, pictures have been posted in similar threads of non-representative units, absolutely. Look a few posts above, now we can include this thread as well. He doesn't even attempt hide it. Sure, the $2,000 Boson based anything will look just as good as the $100,000 (or whatever) unit. It's like talking about Tesla's Model 3 and having someone post numbers and pictures from the Model S.

I hope the OPs understand I'm actually looking out for THEM and their buyers. I'm in sales, too. Nothing worse than pissed off customers who had their expectations cranked way up.

All that said, $2,100 for this unit seems like a heck of a good price. As I said above, I think FLIR has the best palettes and thermal color rendition. They do a great job with that. I like the compact form factor, too.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top