Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2017 2:17:27 PM EDT
Just a heads up, I bought an ops core bump helmet in Med and a Wilcox G24 from Tnvc.

When I received them, I mounted the Wilcox in the molded shroud of the bump helmet.  The fit was extremely loose.

I called Tnvc and I was informed that the size Med bump helmet has an issue where the shroud was not properly molded and that all size medium bump helmets have this issue.

I just wanted to give you all a heads up so you are not in the same situation.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Main reason I moved away from molded helmets.

Is this listed on the website as a possible problem?  If it is a problem like they told you then you'd think they would announce that, no?

I'm asking out if ignorance.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:55:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Hoo boy.  Here we go.  Mine was a shade too tight; I guess they over-shot the correction?  Man I love OpsCore shit but these guys sure suck at customer relations.  I guess they inform the .gov and perhaps some industry partners and figure civilians can pound sand.  

Man after all that other drama, I'd fix it myself.  No way would I ever send a helmet back to them.  I remember reading a thread where a guy modified a bump to accept a metal shroud awhile back.  That's exactly what I'd do.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#3]
That sucks.  Are they going to fix/replace it?  I'd hope so for that kind of money.  My knock off Carbon Helmet that cost 80 dollars has a bolt on shroud and my Rhino mount fits perfectly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm.......you'd think that would be listed on the website.  

Team Wendy are scumbags and ops core has issues sometimes.

I don't regret getting a Lancer and just rebuilding it with quality parts one bit. Boa retention system is next and I'm done.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no systemic issue with Ops-Core Fast Bump Helmets.

Guys, let's not make a mountain of a mole hill.  While I'm sure your "public service announcement" was done with the best intentions, it has the effect of lowering people's confidence in a great product that is used by special operations units across the globe.  There is nothing wrong with the product, and no blanket statement about all medium Bump helmets being faulty was made. 

Look at this objectively: you have multiple mechanical parts, from multiple manufacturers, built with multiple different machining/molding techniques at different facilities and using different materials.  When you try to mechanically attach these parts together, you may or may not have variances from tolerance stack.  Various methods are available and used by professionals to mitigate this, but nothing is perfect when you have so many different variables. 

Seriously guys: when was the last time the entire AR manufacturer community was able to hold perfect tolerances with the myriad machining, molding, coating, surface treatment, etc between parts from different manufacturers?  There's even a US Military Technical Data Package that provides the exact numbers that need to be adhered to (and even the milspec manufacturer government contract holders can't hold to it). 

So, let's all take a deep breath, remember that Ops-Core and Wilcox are leaders (and have been for over a decade) in the helmet and mount industry, and remember nothing fits perfectly unless it's machined as one part.

And let's take this further and address the fact that no mount and shroud combo will fit perfectly forever (even if it was super tight out of the box).  Every time you mechanically add or remove two parts or assemblies from each other, you are creating surface wear.  Whenever two surfaces mate or sheer against each other, there is minute wear on the surface or the coatings.  So, after a bunch of times clicking your helmet mount in and out of the shroud (whether metal or polymer), it will eventually loosen up - even if you are using a mount and shroud from the same manufacturer!  It's physics.  And this is exactly the reason why Ops-Core includes a little adhesive-backed foam square with their helmets and shrouds to increase tension on the mount when it's installed.

So to recap:
  1. No problems with Ops-Core FAST Bump Helmets
  2. Multiple Manufacturers will never be able to recreate perfect mechanical tolerance stack
  3. Professionals deal with this issue every day
  4. Exercise caution when making blanket "public service announcements" about combat-proven product lines.
We now return to your regularly scheduled Arfcom.
View Quote
Never mind. Between this thread and the locked thread people can see what's going on for themselves.

Pretty bold to come out and call the OP a liar and tell him to "excersize caution" though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The plastic molded shroud on my OpsCore bump fits perfectly, but if I had a fitment issue, I'd belt sand that biotch off in a new york minute and install a metal shroud.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, I just checked back into this thread and I'm surprised by the response.

I was genuinely sharing this information to  save someone the trouble I experienced...This was in no way meant to disparage Tnvc.   That being said, I have no control over how other people reply in this thread.

I can share these details.

- Tnvc promptly returned my money after the issue was identified.
-Chip and Sam were extremely helpful during the buying process.
- before refunding  my money, a representative at tnvc  went through the trouble to check every other medium size helmet for the fitment between the Wilcox mount and the opscore bump.  I was told that all of the mediums had the same issue.
- they attempted to remedy the situation by offering me a foam adhesive insert to place inside the shroud.
- I declined and was promptly refunded my money.

The reaction to this thread is odd to say the least.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah this guy mat have an axe to grind, dunno, don't know him, but there is a kernel of truth in the criticism of OpsCore.  Their customer service for slimy civilians has been uh challenged.  

On this particular issue, I would think a tight shroud would be preferable to a loose one.  At least I have material to fit with.  If you have a loose fitting shroud, you have a manufacturing fuck-up that needs to be addressed.  Whether this is a few that fell outside of the tolerance, or production run.  It sounds like this is just a case of QC missing one.      

Yes, parts wear out, but due to the design of the Rhino latch, it shouldn't matter if the lip of the shroud hits the latch 3/4, 2/3, 1/2, or even 1/3 of it's length.  No wear of the shroud lip, in the vertical plane, should keep the rhino mount from locking up, unless the gap is longer than the latch, which would be a huge fuck up, not normal wear and tear.  We're talking at least .065" useable latch surface (approx. 2/3 of it's length).  I would swap out the Wilcox for a Rhino II and re-check fit.  My medium was a bit tight and was easily fitted.  Besides, a Wilcox on a bump helmet is like 19" rims on a Prius.      

If the lower shroud lip surface is too high or thick, a little strip of 150 grit on top of a small file will remedy it.  We're only talking a few thousands among friends here.  But if it's too low you're kinda screwed.  Field expedient, you might be able to pin and epoxy a small plate extension to lock it up.  But that's a high stress area; might be kind of sporty.  

If the lower lip surface is too thin, then using an adhesive backed spacer would push the mount towards the shroud and hopefully lock it up.        

I find it amusing when one talks about professionals fitting/modifying their kit to make it work.  I think this is essential, but have been taken to task by others for suggesting this.  

Bottom line, I concur, I would epoxy an aluminum backing plate on the inside, grind off the existing mount, rebuild the helmet exterior with epoxy, and drill and mount a VAS shroud.  Throw on a Rhino II, J-arm, MNVD,and go forth and do great things.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Very true, if you stick with Wilcox to Wilcox.

Well one man's screw up is another man's field expedient.  If you did it right, it would be good to have a metal shroud in the long run.  If you did it wrong, then yeah, your comment applies.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:23:11 AM EDT
[#15]
My medium bump locks up tight with my G24 mount.

User error
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#16]
To the OP, first you say that you were informed by TNVC that "all med bump helmets had this issue", then TNVC states categorically that this isn't true, then you say "gee I don't know why people responded this way".  Well that sort of happens when you state that "all med bump helmets have this problem".  So we have two different versions of the story.   Which no one seems to notice.  

Either TNVC told you that all med bump helmets are like this, or they didn't.  If they said that, then there would have been a major issue, and that's because of what you said.  If they didn't, then you are starting a rumor, and then standing back and saying, "what's the big deal?".

It's kind of a big deal if a major mfg has a batch of product that is bad.  What did you think would happen if you said that?  It's like someone yelling out "FIRE", and then saying "why is everyone so exited?".
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#17]
That's exactly what I'm stating.  

Read above...i tried to exchange my helmet before the refund.

I was informed by TNVC  by email that all of the Med Ops Core helmets they had in stock had the same issue w a loose fit with the Wilcox mounts and as a result, I didn't do an exchange ... they immediately returned their current stock of mediums back to the manufacturer.

TNVC promptly addressed this issue directly with the manufacturer.

That being said, there was clearly a batch of mediums that had this issue and I was sharing this information as TNVC is not the only seller of these helmets .

Where this thread gets derailed is where people take the opportunity to lob grenades.

I would not hesitate to do business with TNVC again.

One of their manufacturers had an issue and they resolved it to the best of their ability on their end. However there was an issue... No question.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, gotcha.  I have no problem with TNVC either.  If anything they jump on grenades that the mfg should handle.  I think they take a lot of flak for mfg's problems, when it actually had nothing to do with their actions.  I will say that again for the hearing impaired.  I buy a lot of stuff from TNVC because I think they are a very reliable vendor, of high-end kit.  

The issue at hand seems to be whether OpsCore had a problem with their helmets.  You expressed a bit more candor about it than the retail partner, which is why there was a uh disconnect here.  Your intent was to warn other potential customers, which is commendable.  The retail partner down-played the issue, which is also understandable.

Honest to God I'm not trolling here.  Just trying to get at the truth.  I love OpsCore kit.  And I use TNVC as a go-to vendor.  If OpsCore had a little problem then I'd like to know about it.  Not that it's happened here, but trying to cover up an issue is oftentimes much worse than the original problem.  That's just my opinion, FWIW.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I just put some stick on Velcro in the middle of mine and got a nice tight fit but oh well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's exactly what I'm stating.  

Read above...i tried to exchange my helmet before the refund.

I was informed by TNVC  by email that all of the Med Ops Core helmets they had in stock had the same issue w a loose fit with the Wilcox mounts and as a result, I didn't do an exchange ... they immediately returned their current stock of mediums back to the manufacturer.

TNVC promptly addressed this issue directly with the manufacturer.

That being said, there was clearly a batch of mediums that had this issue and I was sharing this information as TNVC is not the only seller of these helmets .

Where this thread gets derailed is where people take the opportunity to lob grenades.

I would not hesitate to do business with TNVC again.

One of their manufacturers had an issue and they resolved it to the best of their ability on their end. However there was an issue... No question.
View Quote
"However there was an issue... No question"

And that is exactly what was denied. Not only that you were "warned"

Hence me not needed to really say anything. People have eyes. Just like in the other thread that contained photographic evidence.

You guys are obviously free to do business with whomever you like. . I simply don't have the time or energy to deal with people who's words can't be trusted(and then deny it in the face of undeniable evidence). It's easier to simply cut them out completely.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't see it as cut and dried as some others.  Yes, TNVC has made some statements, but I think it was in conjunction with marketing their products, which they have every right to do.  I don't think their marketing rises to the level of being outrageous lies and sundry bullshit; they merely spin the narrative at times to put their products in the best light.  If they shot people for that, how many vendors would be left here?

I don't always agree with them, but I respect them as a good vendor and continue to buy stuff from them.

I don't think in either case the evidence rises to the level of malfeasance as you portray it.  If you don't like them for some reason, then fuck 'em, don't but shit from them.  But don't listen to Sam.  Send that Mohawk to ME.  That'll show 'em.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

"However there was an issue... No question"

And that is exactly what was denied. Not only that you were "warned"

Hence me not needed to really say anything. People have eyes. Just like in the other thread that contained photographic evidence.

You guys are obviously free to do business with whomever you like. . I simply don't have the time or energy to deal with people who's words can't be trusted(and then deny it in the face of undeniable evidence). It's easier to simply cut them out completely.
View Quote
Your EE feedback says enough about you too, rather ironic.

As does that thread about the AIM BCG staking....pretty sure that was you
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]
OP,
What's your explanation of "extremely loose"? I have a Norotos AKA2 a Norotos shroud that have always a slight wiggle since they were new.

FullAutoHound,
Why are you jumping at the gun to trash someone when there wasn't even an explanation of the problem?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hmmm.......you'd think that would be listed on the website.  

Team Wendy are scumbags and ops core has issues sometimes.

I don't regret getting a Lancer and just rebuilding it with quality parts one bit. Boa retention system is next and I'm done.
View Quote
Did you get your pad issue squared away? I know you had some discomfort at one time.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Uh, the BOA is made by the Team Wendy scumbags, right?.  I don't use it anymore because they are douche nozzles.  I can't believe Wilcox puts that on their skull cap.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Uh, the BOA is made by the Team Wendy scumbags, right?.  I don't use it anymore because they are douche nozzles.  I can't believe Wilcox puts that on their skull cap.
View Quote
Does anyone have any experience with the dial-liner from Revision?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The plastic molded shroud on my OpsCore bump fits perfectly, but if I had a fitment issue, I'd belt sand that biotch off in a new york minute and install a metal shroud.
View Quote
That's exactly what I did lol.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Broadband: That is change I can believe in. Please, advise regarding a part number for the aluminum plate. Seriously, that is a nice minimalist modification/upgrade.
View Quote
Mine came from an extra wilcox hybrid shroud I had laying around.

May be able to find other cheaper options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top