Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2017 7:21:12 PM EDT
Just looking for some opinions. Since thermal is so expensive would you be better off buying a upper level night vision instead of say a $4000 thermal. It's going on a AR15 used for hogs and coyotes. Thanks for any advice I'm new to this type of hunting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Meant to add this needs to be a clip on.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What he said. Beat to death.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks will do.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
While night vision is still best for identification ... this too will change.

Night vision isn't going to have significant technology advancements.

Thermal will continue to have technology advancements and larger sensor arrays coming online.

It the not too distant future, thermal will rule for identification.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#7]
^I do believe he's correct. As the tech progresses thermal will be king on both fronts.
That being said high end NVG is amazing technology and in a choice between current (today) available technology I think you're money ahead going with NVG.

It's very much and left and right hand situation though.
Thermal for detection, NVG for identification.

As always, get both.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm looking at clip on mainly because I have a ACOG on the LWRC now and don't want to go back and forth.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm looking at clip on mainly because I have a ACOG on the LWRC now and don't want to go back and forth.
View Quote
Thermal all day every day (night) for what you want. Be ready to shoot the locks off your wallet for a good clip-on though. The dedicated sights seem to be had cheaper, so you might even save money in the end by getting a cheap upper or even rifle to marry with the sight.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I was in your shoes and went with night vision,the new white phospher to be exact couldent be happier with my choice.im waiting on thermal to advance more and costs to come down before I invest too much.right now I think we are on the cusp of big changes coming to thermal sights.just my 02
Pete
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Although the idea of a clip-on seems very appealing in the abstract, we usually recommend going with a dedicated weapon scope for a few reasons:

Clip-ons:
1. Add weight and can throw off the balance of your rifle
2. Are more expensive compared to a dedicated scope
3. In most cases will cause a point of impact shift (although mostly small and repeatable)
4. Usually result in lower image quality and reduced field of view compared to a dedicated scope
5. Thermal clip-ons are usually only useable with low to medium magnification

I understand your hesitation regarding switching back and forth between a day optic and a night optic, but with a quality QD mount like a Bobro, American Defense, Geissele, or my favorite, the ZRO Delta DLOC mount, it's really not that bad. I made a short video to demonstrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH4tWk63uq8

As to the issue of positive ID for hunting, I think the advantages of night vision in comparison to thermal are grossly overstated.

At distances most people will be shooting at night, I would say that current thermal technology is sufficient for positive ID around 98-99% of the time. In those rare instances when you're not 100% sure, you can move closer, observe longer, or simply not take the shot.

Current thermal technology offers some incredible detail at close range and at longer ranges with sufficient magnification. Most of the problems associated with trying to ID an animal at night are because the animal is too far away. The advantage of hunting at night is that you can typically get a lot closer to the animal than you can during the day. Conversely, if you plan to shoot from longer ranges, it's important that you pick a unit with sufficient magnification to ID an animal at that distance. This principle applies to both thermal and night vision.

If given a choice between passing on a shot opportunity on the rare occasion I am unable to positively ID an animal with thermal, versus failing to detect 70-80% of the animals with NV, I would choose thermal in a heartbeat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Although the idea of a clip-on seems very appealing in the abstract, we usually recommend going with a dedicated weapon scope for a few reasons:

Clip-ons:
1. Add weight and can throw off the balance of your rifle
2. Are more expensive compared to a dedicated scope
3. In most cases will cause a point of impact shift (although mostly small and repeatable)
4. Usually result in lower image quality and reduced field of view compared to a dedicated scope
5. Thermal clip-ons are usually only useable with low to medium magnification

I understand your hesitation regarding switching back and forth between a day optic and a night optic, but with a quality QD mount like a Bobro, American Defense, Geissele, or my favorite, the ZRO Delta DLOC mount, it's really not that bad. I made a short video to demonstrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH4tWk63uq8

As to the issue of positive ID for hunting, I think the advantages of night vision in comparison to thermal are grossly overstated.

At distances most people will be shooting at night, I would say that current thermal technology is sufficient for positive ID around 98-99% of the time. In those rare instances when you're not 100% sure, you can move closer, observe longer, or simply not take the shot.

Current thermal technology offers some incredible detail at close range and at longer ranges with sufficient magnification. Most of the problems associated with trying to ID an animal at night are because the animal is too far away. The advantage of hunting at night is that you can typically get a lot closer to the animal than you can during the day. Conversely, if you plan to shoot from longer ranges, it's important that you pick a unit with sufficient magnification to ID an animal at that distance. This principle applies to both thermal and night vision.

If given a choice between passing on a shot opportunity on the rare occasion I am unable to positively ID an animal with thermal, versus failing to detect 70-80% of the animals with NV, I would choose thermal in a heartbeat.
I'll modify my earlier comment with this additional observation many people are somehow not up to speed on:

If you buy night vision, you by definition can only use it at night. If you buy thermal, you can use it both day and night.  If you think thermal doesn't make a big difference in daylight hunting, you need to rent a good thermal scope and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Icecold can I ask what you went with.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
You and I have the same objectives. After my research, I chose a a TNVC WP monocular and mounted it to my head (helmet lol). Then I bought an entry level thermal scope, the Pulsar Core RXQ30V. Walking around, I can see just about anything within the normal 1X human eye field of view using the MNVD. When I get to a field or think I see something run across a trail, I shoulder the rifle and look through the thermal to confirm.

This system works very well for me. Thermal tech is advancing so quickly that I am hesitant to drop tons of coin on the highest end units for fear they'll be obsoleted next year. With NV, that won't happen. And budget thermal is always easy to resell.

Just my Texas two cents.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Just wait for a dual chanel I2 and thermal clip on...
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I went with tnvc and the white phospher tube,couldent be happier picked up a Larue flip to side mount and have the option of running it in my 5.56 and 6.5 G,thermal is in the cards but I'm waiting to see what will pop up in the next couple years.for now I'm good with the night vision.

Pete
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Indeed THIS one works great. Many Hajis have been shot in the face with this... I've also shot some hogs in the face on occasion with the famed Guy from FLIR with this system as well.
View Quote
Very nice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Indeed THIS one works great. Many Hajis have been shot in the face with this... I've also shot some hogs in the face on occasion with the famed Guy from FLIR with this system as well.
View Quote
Available to civilians for a low low price of 999,999.87
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
While night vision is still best for identification ... this too will change.

Night vision isn't going to have significant technology advancements.

Thermal will continue to have technology advancements and larger sensor arrays coming online.

It the not too distant future, thermal will rule for identification.
View Quote
Unless there is glass or a window between the target
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:08:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Except when it gets really hot out there and all the heat signatures start blending in.
View Quote
Since 99% of the folks reading here won't be playing in a sandbox ... kind of moot
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Unless there is glass or a window between the target
View Quote
So maybe only 98% of the folks reading here aren't door kickers ... another moot point.

Or maybe night vision does a better job as a Peeping Tom rig than I give it credit for?

I haven't seen any game hiding behind stray windows in the forest.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Don't need to be in the sandbox or kicking in doors...
View Quote
Well, we've had some pretty hot weather around the States over the last two months and I'm still seeing new thermal videos every single day made out there in all the heat and humidity.

Both conditions can degrade thermal performance and there are lots of thermal scopes out there from more than one manufacturer which can be tuned to offset the problems of daylight hunting with thermal.

Looking through glass is something NO thermal scope can do and since woodland creatures don't use it for camo the only rationale I could see for the other fellow's comment was for those engaged in door kicking.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thermal works great in the Sandbox.....ask me how I know.
View Quote
Having hung out here daily for years, I don't have to ask.

Was thermal effective in daylight in the sandbox?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Pretty sure I will never take a hog through glass, but I did notice the other day that it was pretty difficult to see out of my reap-ir after I had been shooting it suppressed quite a bit. Granted, by "a bit" I mean 4 mag dumps with a binary trigger, but still haha
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well, we've had some pretty hot weather around the States over the last two months and I'm still seeing new thermal videos every single day made out there in all the heat and humidity.

Both conditions can degrade thermal performance and there are lots of thermal scopes out there from more than one manufacturer which can be tuned to offset the problems of daylight hunting with thermal.

Looking through glass is something NO thermal scope can do and since woodland creatures don't use it for camo the only rationale I could see for the other fellow's comment was for those engaged in door kicking.
View Quote
Not all ground is the same. Where I live we have so many rock outcroppings that sit and absorb heat all day and I can assure that it makes using thermal in the day hard at times, heck even at night there are issues at times.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not all ground is the same. Where I live we have so many outcroppings that sit and absorb heat all day and I can assure that it makes using thermal in the day hard at times, heck even at night there are issues at times.
View Quote
Just checked to make sure you don't live near Yellowstone ...

', '' );" target="_blank">
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:32:19 AM EDT
[#32]
As a very general rule, what's the lifespan of a decent thermal optic? 

Do do they eventually crap out (for lack of a better understanding)? What's the life expectancy if kept in good condition?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:34:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Do do they eventually crap out (for lack of a better understanding)? What's the life expectancy if kept in good condition?
View Quote
My understanding is the biggest "wear" factor is recoil. The higher the recoil, the more "wear" (nonfunctioning pixels) on the sensor array.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Normally about 20,000 hours for 95% MTBF for the microbolometer, meaning 5% will need repair during that time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Thermal and I^2 do different things.  It is very hard to walk with thermal, as grass and sticks go to ambient quickly.  I have heard navigation is equally messed up.  That said, natural camaflage seems to still camaflage I^2, I can see and identify warm bodies with thermal that I can not even find with I^2-even knowing exactly were they are.

i take three units hunting.  I scan with a thermal monocular and I^2, but other than battery life, thermal wins except for walking.  I use a thermal scope (with optical magnification) to shoot.  Hard to scan with magnification.  I would not be leaving much on the table if I left the I^2 at home.

someday they will come out with fusion that is light enough to wear as sunglasses.  Got to dream.  Till then, headlights rule.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I have both and have hunted with both. Thermal is king!!

There is is also a time everyday that it is not dark enough to use night vision but  it is to dark to see with naked eyes.

Thermal works 24/7

Spotted game many times with thermal day and night that I would have never seen otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thermal and I^2 do different things.  It is very hard to walk with thermal, as grass and sticks go to ambient quickly.  I have heard navigation is equally messed up.  That said, natural camaflage seems to still camaflage I^2, I can see and identify warm bodies with thermal that I can not even find with I^2-even knowing exactly were they are.

i take three units hunting.  I scan with a thermal monocular and I^2, but other than battery life, thermal wins except for walking.  I use a thermal scope (with optical magnification) to shoot.  Hard to scan with magnification.  I would not be leaving much on the table if I left the I^2 at home.

someday they will come out with fusion that is light enough to wear as sunglasses.  Got to dream.  Till then, headlights rule.
View Quote
What thermal are you using that has optical mag? Are you talking about variable optical mag?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:57:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just looking for some opinions. Since thermal is so expensive would you be better off buying a upper level night vision instead of say a $4000 thermal. It's going on a AR15 used for hogs and coyotes. Thanks for any advice I'm new to this type of hunting.
View Quote

Pulsar has some inexpensive thermals
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top