Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2017 7:00:25 PM EDT
Are there any usable and affordable Laser Range Finders that can be used during the night using Gen 3 NV and also during the day?
It would be used while hunting Coyotes.

Now, I did come across the following, but he's in the UK, and I was wondering if there is an option Stateside....

http://www.customriflescopes.com/shop.html#!/weapon-mountable-rangefinder-plus-universal-mount-full-kit-that-zeros-to-your-rifle-scope/p/52309430/category=15737046
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If I'm not mistaken they are IR light and can be used at night. The only issue is seeing what you are lazing. I have seen people mount their range finder to a spotting scope. If you had a clip on NOD for your spotter you could range with it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The SWR Radius is on clearance at Brownells right now in case a rail-mounted rangefinder would fit your needs.  The price is very, very right.  That being said, I am having a hard time convincing myself that I actually need it since I don't do a lot of unknown distance night shooting beyond 200 yd where it would really matter for supersonic ammo.  I might just buy one anyway, but adding another 18 oz on an already front heavy rifle is something to think long and hard about.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are there any usable and affordable Laser Range Finders that can be used during the night using Gen 3 NV and also during the day?

Now, I did come across the following, but he's in the UK, and I was wondering if there is an option Stateside....

http://www.customriflescopes.com/shop.html#!/weapon-mountable-rangefinder-plus-universal-mount-full-kit-that-zeros-to-your-rifle-scope/p/52309430/category=15737046
View Quote

Why not get someone from the uk send it to you?
Atb
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#4]
The new pulsar thermal line include LRF units. I don't own one but imagine they'd be badass for coyote hunting.

http://www.outdoorlegacygear.com/pulsar-apex-lrfxq38-thermal-rifle-scope.html
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why not get someone from the uk send it to you?
Atb
View Quote
I'm sorted on that front...being an Ex-Pat helps, but I wanted to get feedback and see if there was anything comparable over here.

Do you have any experience with the unit in question?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#6]
hi,

i have bought something similar.
instead of display it has an RS232 interface and can be controlled by a computer of some sort.

i would say this rangefinder is most useful for subsonic use.
maximal distance 300, maybe 350 meters.
beam divergence is quite considerable.

i recorded the spot at 50, 100 and 200 meter distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qr1YQJ_DzA

seeing the laser reflection through tubed NV makes using LRF a lot easier.

here is coupe more vids:

implementing the lrf module in my DIY bullet-drop-compensating-mount project.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBhoGRaUFJQ

difference between normal and fog mode (fog mode ignores near reflections)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ORJj7ivokY
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:46:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I still use this one;

It's pretty basic, and the dot can be seen in the viewfinder and is just above the number display.

I figured there would be a lot of them around by now, but I haven't seen any pop up commercially yet -

David
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I still use this one;

http://aunv.blackice.com.au/userfiles/david-IMG_0054_Custom.JPG

http://aunv.blackice.com.au/userfiles/david-NVLRF.jpg

It's pretty basic, and the dot can be seen in the viewfinder and is just above the number display.

I figured there would be a lot of them around by now, but I haven't seen any pop up commercially yet -

David
View Quote
Details?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Sig Kilo has a red display, so you can see what the beam is hitting with the PVS14 eye and read the range with the naked eye.
Should work with anything else that has an illuminated display like that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Details?
View Quote
It's just a proof-of-concept prototype I knocked together a few years ago, using a laser rangefinder and moving the display to a clip-on housing and then adjusting the output of the display so it was compatible with NV ( with adjustable brightness ).  Nothing too complicated - 

It fitted on the objective of the PVS-14 and was fairly light. Somewhere around 100 to 200 grams if I recall. Push the button and it provides the range to target next to the laser dot ( which was visible in the viewfinder also ).

It seemed a simple improvement on the rangefinder and worked great. Anyway, like I said, it was a POC. I'm working on a next-generation version that can check laser range, include navigation information and make coffee. But I needed to rebuild my lab before I could start... And I only just finished rebuilding it a few weeks ago. 

David. 
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe I'm special(doubtful), but I've had great success just using my LRF(Kilo now; Zeiss PRF previously) with my left eye and either NV or a thermal scanner on my right. My brain just superimposes the LRF reticle over the display of the monocular. I've had success with this to the same ranges that I can range with it during the day. Obviously that implies different techniques of stabilizing the LRF just like during daytime use. With the Kilo's ability to keep kicking out readings while the fire button is held, I'm consistent to just hand hold it on small predators at 500+ yards.
Try it; it may save some coin by enabling you to use equipment that you already have. I'd planned on the SiCo, but FKA is correct, by the time I add up the weight of my fullsize AR with a 22" barrel, can, scope, clip on, mag, battery pack, plus all my calling equipment and a tripod...I'll just keep my Kilo in my pocket or pack waist pocket and rock that instread of adding additional weight where I'll feel it the most.
YMMV
WHBD
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:59:06 AM EDT
[#12]
My Sig works fine under night vision, I just can't aim it worth a damn.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sig Kilo has a red display, so you can see what the beam is hitting with the PVS14 eye and read the range with the naked eye.
View Quote
Is there a particular model you are using?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sig Kilo 2000
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sig Kilo 2000
View Quote
Awesome....thanks..
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]
So the Sig Kilo 2000 and the SWR Radius are within $20 of each other at $380 and $399.  (Damn, that Radius at Brownell's is priced RIGHT).  

Decisions, decisions......
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So the Sig Kilo 2000 and the SWR Radius are within $20 of each other at $380 and $399.  (Damn, that Radius at Brownell's is priced RIGHT).  

Decisions, decisions......
View Quote
Couldn't keep telling myself no, bought a Radius tonight for $360 shipped w/ that coupon and used a credit card that offers price rewind in case the price keeps dropping.  I bought this mostly for use at night, at the very least it should make taking shots with subsonic stuff faster and more accurate.  It will be a couple weeks before I can get out with it though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Couldn't keep telling myself no, bought a Radius tonight for $360 shipped w/ that coupon and used a credit card that offers price rewind in case the price keeps dropping.  I bought this mostly for use at night, at the very least it should make taking shots with subsonic stuff faster and more accurate.  It will be a couple weeks before I can get out with it though.
View Quote
What coupon code did you use?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What coupon code did you use?
View Quote
JNS

LINK
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

JNS

LINK
View Quote
Thank you....
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn it...another $40 bucks off....I bit Ive been using my Leupold with red display for night work but you can only make out its flashing ir laser to about 100 yards. Hopefully this will work better.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:58:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most NV laser range finders use a higher frequency IR laser like 1000-1080 not 850 like NVG's sense
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Radius turned up Tuesday, messed with the visable laser then but it sat in the safe until tonight.  
Hooked up the Simrad and went out back, it is awesome, the continious ranging option is sweet, as I was watching it pulse in the NV.
Pleased so far with the purchase and looking to hit the range this weekend to get it zeroed to my barrel/scope...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#24]
So far I really like the radius, especially at night!  I owned one about 8 months ago and sold it for lack of use, luckily RIGHT before the price dropped like crazy.  Now that I've moved back into a rural area and have had a couple weeks of "vacation," I've gotten to use my new one a bit both during day and night.  First off, IMHO these are pointless unless you intend to shoot outside the point blank range of the load being used.  For example, I don't typically shoot my 5.56 beyond ~200 yd at night (when I find the radius most useful), so I don't plan on using it on any of my 5.56 rifles with 50/200 yd zeros.  If I can find somewhere to safely shoot centerfire 300-600 yd at night then I might.  One of our farms may be the ticket for that BUT it has corn on it at the moment.  Where I can see this being very useful is shooting supersonic loads at long range unknown distance targets at night (duh) and short to medium range with subsonic ammo where simple range estimation is rarely sufficient.  The latter is what I've been having so much fun with, an accurate suppressed 22 LR AR with subs.  For this, the radius has been indispensable at night.  I have pics of it on my spotting scope BUT apparently those pics are too large to upload so will have to retake.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Radius turned up Tuesday, messed with the visable laser then but it sat in the safe until tonight.  
Hooked up the Simrad and went out back, it is awesome, the continious ranging option is sweet, as I was watching it pulse in the NV.
Pleased so far with the purchase and looking to hitting the range this weekend to get it zeroed to my barrel/scope...
View Quote
I really want to know how you hooked it up to a simrad, do tell?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So far I really like the radius, especially at night!  I owned one about 8 months ago and sold it for lack of use, luckily RIGHT before the price dropped like crazy.  Now that I've moved back into a rural area and have had a couple weeks of "vacation," I've gotten to use my new one a bit both during day and night.  First off, IMHO these are pointless unless you intend to shoot outside the point blank range of the load being used.  For example, I don't typically shoot my 5.56 beyond ~200 yd at night (when I find the radius most useful), so I don't plan on using it on any of my 5.56 rifles with 50/200 yd zeros.  If I can find somewhere to safely shoot centerfire 300-600 yd at night then I might.  One of our farms may be the ticket for that BUT it has corn on it at the moment.  Where I can see this being very useful is shooting supersonic loads at long range unknown distance targets at night (duh) and short to medium range with subsonic ammo where simple range estimation is rarely sufficient.  The latter is what I've been having so much fun with, an accurate suppressed 22 LR AR with subs.  For this, the radius has been indispensable at night.  I have pics of it on my spotting scope BUT apparently those pics are too large to upload so will have to retake.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163138/20170822_230936-287968.JPG
View Quote
Does the radius mount return to zero well?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Does the radius mount return to zero well?
View Quote
So far the return to zero has been OK but not great.  I believe the manual stated that it would have to be zeroed each time it was removed and reattached, but not positive.  That being said, I've used it on a couple hosts now and it is pretty quick and easy to adjust it (no tools required).  The unit comes with some stuff to facilitate zeroing it correctly, but so far I've just measured offset and used reticle hash marks to measure where I need to put the red laser.  I get good readings out to well over a thousand yards day and night.  The display also dims easily with the push/hold of a button, great for low/no light.  I must say this really is very nice at night.  I see Brownells is now sold out, I'm glad I finally got off the fence and bought one before they were gone.

Thus far my only complaint would be that the unit has a little bit of wiggle in the zero adjustment mechanism.  It is nowhere near as solid (for holding a super precise zero) as an Elcan style external adjustment mount.  In case SiCo/SWR were to ask me, the improvements I would suggest would be a good return to zero mount (or at least a threaded hole pattern that would accept a LaRue or ADM), take the wiggle out of the adjustment mechanism, and reduce size/weight.  For me it was worth $360.  When it comes to functional NV accessories, that amount of money is a drop in the bucket.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I really want to know how you hooked it up to a simrad, do tell?
View Quote
Please show me where I mentioned hooking the Radius up to the Simrad....?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Please show me where I mentioned hooking the Radius up to the Simrad....?
View Quote
Thats the way I read your original post, it didn't make a ton of sense. So I assume your simrad is on a rifle and the radius is too?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I picked up a radius but haven't had time to do anything with it. My general long term plan is to use it in conjuction with a spotting scope for day/night ranging. I just need to get a spotter with a reticle of some sort, and then figure out a NV mounting solution that doesn't break the bank. I don't suppose there are simrad mounts for spotting scopes .
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#31]
worse comes to worse, use a tripod with the LRF mounted to paint the target while viewing with night vision device

check distance, then simply re-confirm the target with your night vision

it's slow (can be fast with two people), but it works.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I was considering a vortex recon 10x50, and they used to make a mount kit for it, but I'm wondering if I could ask badger to make a large sized simrad mount, or a picatinny to simrad adapter or something crazy like that. I don't have 10k to drop on a PVS-27... And even then you still need a lower power optic to use with a CNVD. Otherwise I Was thinking of strapping together a long P-rail+scope+simrad+ side rails and then mounting that to a tripod somehow.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The SWR Radius is on clearance at Brownells right now in case a rail-mounted rangefinder would fit your needs.  The price is very, very right.  That being said, I am having a hard time convincing myself that I actually need it since I don't do a lot of unknown distance night shooting beyond 200 yd where it would really matter for supersonic ammo.  I might just buy one anyway, but adding another 18 oz on an already front heavy rifle is something to think long and hard about.
View Quote
i just use my radius handheld and look at ir laser with nvg's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top