Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2017 8:01:46 PM EDT
with tubes becoming as scarce as i've been reading into should i try looking into a new tube still or try and have the power supply fixed?

i have a pair with one dead tube and i'm looking into converting them into a more modern binocular looking setup.

any recommendations y'all can give me or should i just salvage the one useable tube and cut my losses.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not had any luck finding aftermarket housing that could use a PVS-5 tube.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#2]
also i'm fairly new to everything and i'd like to do as much as i can myself so any items i can use to update or convert. let me know.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I have recently made 3d printed housing that accept PVS-5 lenses and tube housing. If testing go ok I will share some pics. Otherwise if you have PVS-5C version you can use dual PVS14 mount.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]
also i have the very small objective lenses. i've seen several photos with the larger pvs14 size lens. is this a simple conversion as well?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
also i have the very small objective lenses. i've seen several photos with the larger pvs14 size lens. is this a simple conversion as well?
View Quote
The small objectives are on the non-lettered and A models. You are talking about PVS-5C objectives, not PVS-14 objectives. And if you can find them its a simple swap, but they will likely be spendy since they are very good glass.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:09:11 AM EDT
[#6]
That's true, chances for catching PVS-5C lenses are low, and it would be expensive. You can try contact Nightsite they have best PVS-5 lenses f 0:95 with fast focus, but with a little smaller diameter than PVS14 focus stop ring. I think in this case smal adapter 3d printed or made from pipe would work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks guys. on a pretty steep learning curve here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
got bored last night and tore everything apart. just going to go the single monocular route and try and found a housing thatwill accept the mx9166 tube.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
got bored last night and tore everything apart. just going to go the single monocular route and try and found a housing thatwill accept the mx9166 tube.
View Quote
You just need to add 3V to your existing working housing. I would reinforce the wire points with some extra glue or something first. (easiest way is to get a 2xAA battery box with a built in switch) IIRC I saw a "upgrade" kit on ebay for a PVS-5 can not long ago with a switch etc. Be aware getting the actual tube out of the can is a total bitch (which is why most guys just add the 3V to the whole can).
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:00:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
with tubes becoming as scarce as i've been reading into should i try looking into a new tube still or try and have the power supply fixed?

i have a pair with one dead tube and i'm looking into converting them into a more modern binocular looking setup.

any recommendations y'all can give me or should i just salvage the one useable tube and cut my losses.
View Quote

You should talk to Edward Wilcox at Wilcox engineering and research
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top