Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2017 9:31:30 AM EDT
Weird question but does anyone have a tube that's giving off a slight chemical odor?

I have an old MX10160 Gen3 tube that works okay but is giving off sort of an ammonia smell. Bad omen?

TIA
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]
If it smells only when it is on that is bad. It is ozone produced by high voltage sparking and it has only a few minutes/hours left.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it smells only when it is on that is bad. It is ozone produced by high voltage sparking and it has only a few minutes/hours left.
View Quote
Sorry. Should have noted that I haven't powered up the tube in months. And the unit has been stored without batteries.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#4]
It might have been smuggled out in a prison wallet. And no it doesnt serm normal.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't imagine it's your tube if it hasn't been powered up in a long while, that said, both lithium grease and lithium batteries give off a funky smell. It could be the smell of the o-rings or the leftover smell of the batteries in the battery compartment? Unscrew the back of a Surefire flashlight and see if it smells similar?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can't imagine it's your tube if it hasn't been powered up in a long while, that said, both lithium grease and lithium batteries give off a funky smell. It could be the smell of the o-rings or the leftover smell of the batteries in the battery compartment? Unscrew the back of a Surefire flashlight and see if it smells similar?
View Quote
There is an odor that's reminiscent of lithium batteries. At first that's what I thought it was. But then I remembered there are no batteries stored with the unit.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd start by making sure my upper lip was clean just to make sure. After that, look listen and smell. do you hear any arching and sparking or weird noises other that a hum.
View Quote
No tuna smell on lips these last few days.

The device seems to function fine. No flickering or sounds.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#8]
My night vision doesn't smell bad, but the front lens of my thermal scope (reap-ir) smells like absolute butt-hole at all times. It's almost mustardy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My night vision doesn't smell bad, but the front lens of my thermal scope (reap-ir) smells like absolute butt-hole at all times. It's almost mustardy.
View Quote
See the previous comment...

You guys live in humid climates? A lil alcohol goes a long way.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

See the previous comment...

You guys live in humid climates? A lil alcohol goes a long way.
View Quote
That my scope was smuggled out of a prison?

Also, I probably won't be taking an alcohol swab to the front lens of my thermal scope.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Also, I probably won't be taking an alcohol swab to the front lens of my thermal scope.
View Quote
I guess the joke was missed or you didn't find it funny or both.

I meant to try cleaning the tube with some alcohol. You can use alcohol on germanium as well, just be careful about scratching it. Check the FAQ
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I meant to try cleaning the tube with some alcohol. You can use alcohol on germanium as well, just be careful about scratching it. Check the FAQ
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha, I completely miss-read the joke. But good to know about the alcohol on the front lens. I was always told that the germanium lens was one of the most expensive parts, so i never thouch that guy.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ha, I completely miss-read the joke. But good to know about the alcohol on the front lens. I was always told that the germanium lens was one of the most expensive parts, so i never thouch that guy.
View Quote
You can clean it like many other lenses, but germanium is a bit softer than glass and easier to scratch, nothing magic about it, but the less cleaning you have to do the better.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Off my tube goes to Nivisys in El Paso. They are going to check it out for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top