Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2017 11:25:04 AM EDT
I've been trying to buy a scout light for some time now. But, honestly do any of you use them in the field?

I rarely turn on my head mounted light, let alone a weapon mounted.
If you do use one on your rifle, which?
M600V?

This is an non home defense outside depredation rifle/use situation.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I would imagine it would be a good idea if you ever actually needed to engage an enemy that didn't have NV capabilities, because the extra flood of light seems to sharpen up the contrast and image a lot in my experience.

But I rarely actually use the M952v on my rifle. Luckily its also a white light so it has usefulness outside of NV stuff.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I like to give a quick splash and scan for eyeballs while hunting.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I do use my X300 on my AK74 in the field when I hog hunt
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what you get for buying a quality set of NODs If you where to be in a no moon/star, ambient light, under a heavy canopy, you will need additional IR light. Also try using a light in a confined area by pointing it up or down as a room lighter vs a spotter. Just like higher power lasers are used for more than just being brighter, you can also use it to punch through smoke mist etc.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's what you get for buying a quality set of NODs If you where to be in a no moon/star, ambient light, under a heavy canopy, you will need additional IR light. Also try using a light in a confined area by pointing it up or down as a room lighter vs a spotter. Just like higher power lasers are used for more than just being brighter, you can also use it to punch through smoke mist etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That WP tho..

Quoted:
Roger that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I use my 952v inside on white mode, and occasionally outside for IR. Usually in other people's houses/yards. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#7]
In my experience if you turn on a white light on a laser tag, paintball or other combat simulation you have about 10 seconds left to play.

However In Baghdad in 2003 I had to go into homes looking for guns. or hidden bombs. there are a lot of dark closets in the world.

So yes a light has a use in house searches outside it is suicidal.

However in self defense the main purpose is to insure the possible threat is a real threat & not a drunk kid you kids let in one night when he was too messed up to go home.

as far as hunting spotlighting is usually illegal.  so check local laws.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use lights when they are needed, and avoid negligently throwing light of any kind be it visible or IR into the environment. Every gun ought to have a vis weapon light, but that does not mean you'll use it every night.

NV Breaks, and if you do not have a back up system handy you're going to have to fall back on one of two options, fumbling noisily around in the dark like a blind kid without a seeing eye dog, or using a vis light appropriately.
View Quote
night vision not only breaks but in urban/suburban  operations it is usually quick & easy to flood an area with light removing the advantage.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
For hunting?...Have once. Worked great. Drove up north to try coyote hunting. My son and I hit the berm, hit the light before I chambered a round and set up only to see two yotes trotting up the tree line across the field. Could not get down and load fast enough to take a shot...
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I suppose it's specific to task, but I not kicking in any doors.

I have a light next to my HD stuff, this was more specific to hunting/depredation.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a 952v and a 300v

the 300v puts out basically the same IR light as the Atpial-c I use, so I put the 952v on instead for longer ranges.

in my area its very dense forest with only a few fields. I try not to use much IR but I do scan the tree lines quickly with IR.
It's so thick that no light makes it in from the moon so a yote could easily hide on the tree line.

Thats where thermal comes in handy also.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a 952v and a 300v

the 300v puts out basically the same IR light as the Atpial-c I use, so I put the 952v on instead for longer ranges.

in my area its very dense forest with only a few fields. I try not to use much IR but I do scan the tree lines quickly with IR.
It's so thick that no light makes it in from the moon so a yote could easily hide on the tree line.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have a 952v and a 300v

Thank you sir, I've got a Q14B inbound since april maybe?? My body is ready.
Please see below about your M300V.

Quoted:
There is always the risk of putting too much stuff on your rifle. 

One good exercise to try with your rifle-

Hold the rifle out in front of you one handed like your pointing a pistol, don't lock your elbow. Beginning that exercise you should be able to hold it up like that for at least 1 minute before switching hands (left doing the same). If you can't maintain that for a minute, you either have too much crap on your rifle, need to work on your arm strength or both. 

Limiting accessories on the rifle to both control weight and also keep balance decent is something often overlooked.
My rifle has become a fat pig. It's also my class rifle and I kind of like it for that reason. After (3) day class last weekend, my body was noticeably worked from man handling that hoss all weekend. TNVC is correct that weight and cost is the flipside to all this technology. I'd guess my rifle is at least 12lbs, but it was already very heavy to begin with.

Now my question to most of you. Keeping in mind that a light will add about another 1-3lbs, M600V or M300V?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes. I use my IR light (hunting).

I have pretty decent Gen 3 NV but illumination is still essential. On moonless nights, I even use my weapons mounted IR light to navigate through thick woods. And once I hit an open area, I will scan dark patches with the IR light. And when using my PVS14 weapons mounted behind an Aimpoint, the illumination is even more important.

Playing around in my neighborhood at night, I still see many dark areas in shadows despite the street lights etc. My hand held vampire light lets me look into bushes and dark areas.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thank you sir, I've got a Q14B inbound since april maybe?? My body is ready.
Please see below about your M300V.

My rifle has become a fat pig. It's also my class rifle and I kind of like it for that reason. After (3) day class last weekend, my body was noticeably worked from man handling that hoss all weekend. TNVC is correct that weight and cost is the flipside to all this technology. I'd guess my rifle is at least 12lbs, but it was already very heavy to begin with.

Now my question to most of you. Keeping in mind that a light will add about another 1-3lbs, M600V or M300V?
View Quote
I feel you. I dont really buy into the holding your gun out for one minute deal, I dont know of anyone who could do that with a rifle.
But its a good point.

I will admit my rifle is heavy as shit, but there isnt much I can do about it because I use everything on it the way I have it configured for my AO.
The only option would be to go with a lighter rail and optic, or a lighter profile barrel. (although I do have a lightweight rifle built I could move lights/lasers to)

At night the rifle is always slung with a two point sling, the only time it comes up is a quick scan with IR or to shoot. so its not a deal breaker. The weight and a comp make follow up shots cake also.

between the M600v and M300v you have to ask yourself a few questions.

1. are you shooting with an IR laser, or a combo like the Atpial-c with built in IR illumination.

2. how far do you need to throw IR light.

3. do you feel your rifle is already to heavy.

if you have an atpial-c the only reason I would consider an m300v is for redundancy and/or white light.
you are not going to gain much if anything from the 300v.

The 600v will throw light further, at the cost of a few more ounces of weight.

bottom line if you need to light anything up further than about 50-75 yards then you need the 600v IMO
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:25:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Using a carbine vs a mid length rig helps with managing the weight you feel while holding your rifle for long periods of time. Also moving your hand back with your elbow also helps vs having a forward C clamp type grip
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I hope that one day, someone will post comparison NV pictures using the various IR lights and illuminators (same background, same lighting etc.) I would love to see the difference between them, especially compared to the 300V and 600V.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I use 952V lights. On the helmet and sometimes on the rifle. Often I tame the brightness with an ND filter, because there always seems to be limbs or other stuff close by to take the brunt of the light and ruin my view.
When the light is on my helmet and I am peering here and there often, I sometimes attach a tape switch to the helmet light and use my teeth to squeeze it. That way, my hands remain free to stay on the rifle and it's IR laser switch to operate those and to eliminate the motion involved in letting go the rifle and reaching to the helmet light. I have a switch without the velcro strip on it just for the purpose. You can mount such a switch on the mic boom if you wear a headset with one, or on the goose neck light of some of the helmet lights that have those. That way, if you're a gagger, with one motion of either arm, you can keep it close enough to get to or move it away from your mouth but still know where it is.
Works for me.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like to give a quick splash and scan for eyeballs while hunting.
View Quote
Hunting hogs?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
snip
View Quote
I run a DBAL i2. It has no illuminator. It's green vis + IR. I guess I cheap'd out when it came to that portion so to speak.
I do have a M1 on my helmet, but like I mentioned it rarely gets used outside.

I thought about mounting it to my rifle, but I'd think I'd want the white light option also.
I guess I just need to pony up the cash and buy a M600V.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I run a DBAL i2. It has no illuminator. It's green vis + IR. I guess I cheap'd out when it came to that portion so to speak.

I thought about mounting it to my rifle, but I'd think I'd want the white light option also.
View Quote
I went back and forth a lot on if I should get a IR laser with a separate light like that, or a unit that does both. I ended up with an atpial and I'm happy with it so far. But I've never seen what a setup like that could do either, this is my only IR experience. I can make out my 250yd gong with my setup most nights, and light up reflective surfaces out further than that.

I think you definitely need a light on your rifle. I use mine mainly scanning for eyeballs, and it's necessary to spot coyotes that way in the sagebrush.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
how far away are you trying to throw IR?

under 75 yards I say go for the 300v.

more than 75 yards go for a 600v or 952v.

If you are working around alot of vegitation/buildings I would say the 300 will feel less obtrusive on objects that are close and IR light splashing back on to you.

I cant count the times ive turned my 952v on to see out to 150-200 looking for eyes only to be blinded by a tree 30 yards away.
The helmet mounted M1 is great for nav.

I personally run an M1 on my helmet for anything 20 yards and under
Atpial-C illum out to 75 yards (or with the ND filter its good up close)
anything further than that I use the 952v

ETA: the aptial-c with no ND filter will put out a "soft" IR light out to about 150-200 but it wont "light it up" like the sun
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but has anyone tried the Solarforce IR light? 

Solarforce IR
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There is always the risk of putting too much stuff on your rifle.
Hold the rifle out in front of you one handed like your pointing a pistol...
View Quote
I can't hold my M60E3 like that, and it doesn't even have any accessories on it. What am I supposed to do if I want to aim it in the dark? 
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I have gen 3 white phosphorous and I use an IR light for hunting. On dark, misty nights it is almost a necessity.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Unless it's a full moon bright kind of night, I almost always use my IR light for coyote hunting. I'll use it to occasionally scan, and will light up a target before taking a shot for a positive ID (don't want to shoot a domestic dog on accident).
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Unless it's a full moon bright kind of night, I almost always use my IR light for coyote hunting. I'll use it to occasionally scan, and will light up a target before taking a shot for a positive ID (don't want to shoot a domestic dog on accident).
View Quote
Same here. For shooting at targets form 25 yards, it's a waste. Now if you're going to go hunting in a big ass field, you'll definitively need it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:56:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but has anyone tried the Solarforce IR light? 

Solarforce IR
View Quote
It's a decent flood light. Have someone that knows how to solder beef up the solder joints if you intend to weapon mount it. I prefer the SolarForce module inside of a SureFire housing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I only use mine when I am hunting at night.

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's a decent flood light. Have someone that knows how to solder beef up the solder joints if you intend to weapon mount it. I prefer the SolarForce module inside of a SureFire housing.
View Quote
Well its only 14 bucks for the bulb so I what-the-hell'ed it and its on its way. 

I already have a Solarforce body to test it out in. Pretty excited I will (hopefully) end up with a decent IR light for about 30 bucks all in rather than the outright obscene pricing found on most other IR lights. 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I only use mine when I am hunting at night.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/NV%20Coyote/NV%20Coyote%202.jpg
View Quote
smart ass 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I guess the answer here is "what is your intended use"?  You're getting answers for hunting, tactical apps, and probably just general butt-holery.

You state it is not for a home-defense situation.  So what exactly do you have in mind?

I use NV as a way of scanning the surroundings around my property at night.  If that's what you have in mind, then having a weapons-mounted light is essential.  You can try IR first, and then use white light when/if necessary.  The point being you need to have positive target ID before shooting.  As someone mentioned, a neighborhood kid could be doing something stupid.  Or raccoons could be in the trashcans.  Who knows.  Unless your ROE's are to shoot on sight (highly unlikely), you need some kind of light.  

As a practical matter, the terrain and weather make a huge difference.  I have been in the woods on moonless nights and NV didn't do shit.  Without an IR light, you might as well put it in your ruck.  Ditto caves, or dark buildings.  You can be the purist and insist on passive only but you will probably degrade your NV capability.  Unless the likelihood of the oppo having NV is really high, I think you'd be well served to use IR light.  For nav, Target ID, IFF, etc.  I would think it would be a rare sit where you would not use any IR light at all.  

So if any of this makes any sense, to you, running a white/IR light on your piece is essential IMHO.

And yes all that shit is heavy.  That's why I go to the gym.  And do a shit-load of ready-ups.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've been trying to buy a scout light for some time now. But, honestly do any of you use them in the field?

I rarely turn on my head mounted light, let alone a weapon mounted.
If you do use one on your rifle, which?
M600V?

This is an non home defense outside depredation rifle/use situation.
View Quote

Get a DBAL-D2 and have it all
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm really needing a more powerful light for longer range scanning. The atpial isn't the best for lighting up eyes at long distances, I'm thinking handheld though so I can drive and scan the fields by hand, then go after it on foot if necessary.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm really needing a more powerful light for longer range scanning. The atpial isn't the best for lighting up eyes at long distances, I'm thinking handheld though so I can drive and scan the fields by hand, then go after it on foot if necessary.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Its big but bright as the sun. That you can't see. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top