Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/23/2017 5:28:44 PM EDT
I have been shooting NV as a civilian for about 6 years. In that time I think I've shot with friends <5 times, and taken a Telluric course once. Every other time has been solo, and I shoot under green film at least monthly. My friends that do have NV are fully content on going 2x a year. I have property and do all sorts of crazy shit; I thought the impetus to getting people out there would be getting them NV - but I have 4 buddies that I put on to TNVC Sentinels and they are perfectly content just playing with them in their garage at night 363 nights a year Who spends nine grand to do instagram photoshoots?

How often do you guys get out and shoot with other people? Where do you meet nightvision buddies? What do you do when you're not hunting? I try to shoot steel. Once we set targets out at 50 yard intervals with our IR Lasers to see how far we could be effective with them (200 yards was a streettcchhhh) I practice reloads, drills, all the stuff you do during the day when you shoot. Lately we've (I say we - it's really I) have gotten into shooting from unconventional positions and in vehicles. It's a whole nother animal when you've got NODS hanging off your face and you're in a confined space. It's a lot of fun, but it's lonely.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you need a shooting buddy!    I am in the opposite boat, looking for a place to night hunt hogs, and trying to convince my private range to let me shoot at night and suppressed.....  around here, even the "serious" shooters do not care about night shooting     I guess i am gonna have to buy some land     LOL   woe is me.....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
You close to AZ?!  I don't have too many places to shoot at night so it's instagram photo shoots with my dual 14's for now. Lol
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Funny how many others want to make videos and be fan on Utube, instagram and FB but they do not know what their missing...   Glad to see a REAL user using kit as it was intended and at times shooting shit in the face.
View Quote
Yeah - one of the guys in my group won't even take his Sentinels in the rain. Maybe the .mil helped me realize just how durable this stuff can be, but why buy top tier kit and then baby it? Not my elephant, not my circus but subjecting your gear to realistic environments is when the fun really happens.

A video of what we usually do. Zero ambient light and the youtube upload killed some quality, but you can get the gist of it. We had one guy setup steel BGs in the woods and then had him remain silent as to the location. We patrolled looking for the BGs and then formed an L shaped ambush followed by a retreat back to the vehicles. Good comms and IR chemlights are a must doing stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDx2Da6N2fU

(Hmm, looks like I can't embed it?)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have been shooting NV as a civilian for about 6 years. In that time I think I've shot with friends <5 times, and taken a Telluric course once. Every other time has been solo, and I shoot under green film at least monthly. My friends that do have NV are fully content on going 2x a year. I have property and do all sorts of crazy shit; I thought the impetus to getting people out there would be getting them NV - but I have 4 buddies that I put on to TNVC Sentinels and they are perfectly content just playing with them in their garage at night 363 nights a year Who spends nine grand to do instagram photoshoots?

How often do you guys get out and shoot with other people? Where do you meet nightvision buddies? What do you do when you're not hunting? I try to shoot steel. Once we set targets out at 50 yard intervals with our IR Lasers to see how far we could be effective with them (200 yards was a streettcchhhh) I practice reloads, drills, all the stuff you do during the day when you shoot. Lately we've (I say we - it's really I) have gotten into shooting from unconventional positions and in vehicles. It's a whole nother animal when you've got NODS hanging off your face and you're in a confined space. It's a lot of fun, but it's lonely.
View Quote

Move to Ohio....I'll come over weekly and I got my own NV!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You close to AZ?!  I don't have too many places to shoot at night so it's instagram photo shoots with my dual 14's for now. Lol
View Quote
Are you in AZ?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish I had a friend like you. The closest thing I have to open BLM land is over 2 hours away. A couple of local ranges have night shoots, but always when I can't go. There is club that does once a month night shoots but only after summer is over due to the sun setting past 700-800 pm. Next year should be better for me, but that's over a literally 1 year away and the way that the parks and rec department (ran by a Liberal) has been closing ranges here it's a race against time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I hear you.  It's not a habit for the lazy and you have to love it because people will give funny looks when they find out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are near northern Indiana or the gulf coast of Florida, let me know I go out every chance I get in either locale.

ETA:  Most of the time I night shoot in Indiana I am shooting AR500 steel targets at varying distances w/ IR laser.  I must say, my favorite activity is suppressed 22 LR subsonic at 100+ yd because, depending on atmospherics, you can watch the bullets fly downrange through thermal (or NV w/ illuminator).  45 ACP is also a hoot to watch through thermal.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:23:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah - one of the guys in my group won't even take his Sentinels in the rain. Maybe the .mil helped me realize just how durable this stuff can be, but why buy top tier kit and then baby it? Not my elephant, not my circus but subjecting your gear to realistic environments is when the fun really happens.

A video of what we usually do. Zero ambient light and the youtube upload killed some quality, but you can get the gist of it. We had one guy setup steel BGs in the woods and then had him remain silent as to the location. We patrolled looking for the BGs and then formed an L shaped ambush followed by a retreat back to the vehicles. Good comms and IR chemlights are a must doing stuff like that.

(Hmm, looks like I can't embed it?)
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#11]
It is a lonely world, and a funny one at that.  Now that I have the money to afford NV, I hardly have the time to use it for hunting.  I just came in from watering the grass with my NV, and last night I went for a late night ride with it.  For years I hunted with a buddy (maybe he will chime in) that had NV, but all I could afford was a Photon scope.  Hunting like that becomes a least-common-denominator situation.  I basically stumbled around behind him in the dark and he told me when he saw stuff.  

Sounds like you've not had much luck getting your existing friends to really use their NV.  If I were in your shoes the next thing I would do would be to look for people in your area who are already using NVG, and decide if you want to make friends with them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:33:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are you in AZ?
View Quote
Queen Creek.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:38:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm the scumbag of the Az night scene, I've had numerous invite to go play... and have always had to cancel.  

I mostly go out and fudd around. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:40:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What part of Ohio? I've been looking for a place I can shoot at night.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:03:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Queen Creek.
View Quote
I'm also in the valley.
We should organize an ARF NV shoot.
I know at least one other ARF NV guy that will come play NV with us.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Just to give an example of what I deal with (and the reason for this thread) - last weekend I shot NV on Fri, Sat, and Sun nights. I invited my buds. They all said no and one even said "Nah, it looks a little muggy with all the rain we've had I'm worried how it will affect the electronics". When I got done shooting, I noticed two of them blew up their IG with NV shots of their rifles laying on the ground in their garage with a "Training doesn't stop when the sun goes down" caption. That means one of them actually packed his NV kit in his car and drove the 5 minutes down the street to have a little NV photoshoot when he could've driven 40 minutes further and blasted through some ammo. I've been shooting NV for a decade at this point and have enough formal training to say that wandering around your garage like you're in the movie Step Brothers is ineffective training.

This weekend I will shoot tonight and probably tomorrow night, and I'll shoot every night of the 2nd - 5th. The guys said they'll come the 5th. We'll see. Maybe I smell and I'm not nice to be around

Quoted:
If you are near northern Indiana or the gulf coast of Florida, let me know I go out every chance I get in either locale.

ETA:  Most of the time I night shoot in Indiana I am shooting AR500 steel targets at varying distances w/ IR laser.  I must say, my favorite activity is suppressed 22 LR subsonic at 100+ yd because, depending on atmospherics, you can watch the bullets fly downrange through thermal (or NV w/ illuminator).  45 ACP is also a hoot to watch through thermal.
View Quote
I am on the gulf coast of FL. Would love to have anyone out for NV shooting but depend where it is done and what time it is, it will have to be 100% suppressed. It's tough shooting in the summer unsuppressed at night because it doesn't even get dark until 9:30 or so.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just to give an example of what I deal with (and the reason for this thread) - last weekend I shot NV on Fri, Sat, and Sun nights. I invited my buds. They all said no and one even said "Nah, it looks a little muggy with all the rain we've had I'm worried how it will affect the electronics". When I got done shooting, I noticed two of them blew up their IG with NV shots of their rifles laying on the ground in their garage with a "Training doesn't stop when the sun goes down" caption. That means one of them actually packed his NV kit in his car and drove the 5 minutes down the street to have a little NV photoshoot when he could've driven 40 minutes further and blasted through some ammo. I've been shooting NV for a decade at this point and have enough formal training to say that wandering around your garage like you're in the movie Step Brothers is ineffective training.

This weekend I will shoot tonight and probably tomorrow night, and I'll shoot every night of the 2nd - 5th. The guys said they'll come the 5th. We'll see. Maybe I smell and I'm not nice to be around

I am on the gulf coast of FL. Would love to have anyone out for NV shooting but depend where it is done and what time it is, it will have to be 100% suppressed. It's tough shooting in the summer unsuppressed at night because it doesn't even get dark until 9:30 or so.
View Quote
Small world, I am near Sarasota IM and email sent.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm around the canton area.  I dont have anywhere to shoot at night currently....I just have the toys.  Been looking for some land just haven't found anything quite right yet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the same problem I'm usually stalking varmints in NV solo

I think the heat in Southern Louisiana gets to people most don't wanna deal with the heat and humidity you start wearing nods and gear here it feels like a jungle. The other issue is there's really no place to shoot at night here unless you know someone with a big enuf property. I wish there were more nightvision ranges in the U.S it's sad and lonely like you said. You wanna share this badass fun addiction and run with someone but it's rough.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah I feel ya man, I don't use my NV as much as I thought I would. I almost always go solo and it's not as much fun as day shooting with friends. My friends need to get more into shooting and buy their own NV gear, haha. Still think it's badass tech though. I have a place to shoot hogs even, but going in the middle of the night to hunt alone isn't the most fun. So I probably only go once or twice a year or so. A lot of times I just wonder around the house in the dark, haha. Or I'll take it out to look at stars at night.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in the process of trying to get people to go shooting tomorrow night.  Half a dozen friends with NODs and only one taker.  This is typical.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#22]
There are other people in the valley with NV.
ARF shoot would be interesting.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Gas blowback airsoft in my backyard is how I get to shoot every night.
I haven't found any ranges in north Virginia that do night shoots.

But I've shot a ton on BLM or National Forest land out in WY, MT and ND.
I really need to move out west.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Sigh.....
Same problem here.
I live 1.5hrs away from where I can shoot... on a friend's farm. I'm the only one w NV/Thermal and suppressors. My buddy love the toys and wants to buy but usually has a reason not to. So, we use my stuff on AR500 at different stretches, 50yds up to 300yds or so. Sadly there are no hogs here. But I'm hoping to travel out of state one day. I need to buy land too......
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I shoot the hell out of airsoft but airsoft is heresy to Arfcom. I also shoot suppressed Pre-Charged Pneumatic air rifle at night. It's great for nocturnal pests.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm also in the valley.
We should organize an ARF NV shoot.
I know at least one other ARF NV guy that will come play NV with us.
View Quote
I think I have another guy who would too.

I'd love to do this. We need to work in this asap. But what about fire restrictions?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hope you blew his poser ass up in the comments!  I would have busted his balls big time.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use to live in Tampa. Loved it except the humidity. Too bad I would have rolled with you for sure. I've got duals just aching to get used.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I shoot the hell out of airsoft but airsoft is heresy to Arfcom. I also shoot suppressed Pre-Charged Pneumatic air rifle at night. It's great for nocturnal pests.
View Quote
You still do it?  I'd get into that in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I have to say, for serious practice, I prefer to shoot by myself.  I just finished a night shoot in mid winter overcast and had a lot of fun.  Before the event I spent about five nights out shooting steel in the rain and get in 200 rounds in an hour per night.  

My biggest problem is fogging in the humidity and rain.  How do you guys in FL and LA deal with the humidity.  I sweat profusely and my glasses fog making it harder to place the laser.  The other problem I am having is the laser "splashes" on the target and hides it.  So far I have been pushing the laser low to illuminate the target and then bringing it up til the target disappears and shooting.  Works ok but there must be better methods.  Looking forward to some other experience here.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have to say, for serious practice, I prefer to shoot by myself.  I just finished a night shoot in mid winter overcast and had a lot of fun.  Before the event I spent about five nights out shooting steel in the rain and get in 200 rounds in an hour per night.  

My biggest problem is fogging in the humidity and rain.  How do you guys in FL and LA deal with the humidity.  I sweat profusely and my glasses fog making it harder to place the laser.  The other problem I am having is the laser "splashes" on the target and hides it.  So far I have been pushing the laser low to illuminate the target and then bringing it up til the target disappears and shooting.  Works ok but there must be better methods.  Looking forward to some other experience here.
View Quote
If you look at the video I posted above you'll see there's really nothing you can do - When shooting suppressed in the rain (as in that video) or high humidity the smoke obscures the IR illuminator and in some cases the laser as well. It's a huge pain in the ass. My buddy is filming and you'll see when he shoots with the illuminator on it just turns into a big glowing cloud.

The glasses get cat paste put on them and it doesn't fog at all - I've never had fog on my PVS14s. Yeah sweat sucks especially in armor. You just have to accept that you're going to be wet and miserable.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The glasses get cat paste put on them and it doesn't fog at all - I've never had fog on my PVS14s.
View Quote
What is this cat paste and where do you get it?  I am using PVS 14's and they don't fog, it is my glasses.  The NV pushes up against the glasses and then the fog starts.  I cut up spongy ear protectors and taped them to the glasses to keep them away from my face but it wasn't enough.  I have been thinking of going powered to keep clear.  I was shooting pistol with no illuminator and the suppressor kept smoke to a minimum.  Max target distance was 25 meters with most steel at the 15 - 18 meter range.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I went to a night shoot lsst night. Was about 14 of us, but no one else had nods.
Was still very cool.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Cat paste?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fogging is a serious bitch down in Florida, at least for me.  If I don't remember to get the NVD to ambient outside temperatures before leaving my air conditioned home, it is completely unusable for a while.  The hotter and more humid it is outside, the worse the problem is.  So far my thermal has been completely unaffected by this.  I don't routinely run into that problem when doing the same stuff in Indiana, but for where I shoot up there I am typically outside a while before even getting behind the NVD.  Speaking of FL heat, the Crye Nightcap is a huge bonus when the temp and humidity are obnoxiously high.  There is nothing like lighting up a steel plate with suppressed 5.56 or 308 after the rest of the county is asleep though, shitty temperatures or otherwise
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Cat paste?
View Quote
It's actually called Cat Crap and works great! Ebay and Amazon have it.............
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's actually called Cat Crap and works great! Ebay and Amazon have it.............
View Quote
There it is. Oops! I will be frank though - often when shooting under NV I don't wear glasses. Shame shame - I know. But it's the truth. When I do though and it's a Florida summer (March - November) the glasses get cat crap. The humidity during the day is NOTHING compared to 2300-0300.

Fordkicksass I got your PM. You're pretty close to my AO. I'll email you shortly.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have been that thinking of getting a good pellet gun....deciding between break barrel and the ones where you charge them and get so many shots.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#39]
It's the universal problem. People with the money to buy things are people who work and have responsibilities. It's always hard for the duty-minded to coordinate activities.

Add to that an aversion to blabbing to the revolutionary class any mention of what equipment is on hand at your place.

When I shoot at night, I almost always drop in the 22LR conversion and shoot silenced - not exactly the same, but close enough ...considering. The wife doesn't notice. The deer don't care. And the neighbors don't have a clue.

I have never seen the marketing statistics, but I bet NV and thermal are FAR more ubiquitous than most people suspect. Just like silencers. If it wasn't stupid to do it these days, and if there was a Farmers Only Dot Com for NV shooters, I think we'd have trouble keeping a night free for staying inside and sleeping now and then.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's the universal problem. People with the money to buy things are people who work and have responsibilities. It's always hard for the duty-minded to coordinate activities.

Add to that an aversion to blabbing to the revolutionary class any mention of what equipment is on hand at your place.

When I shoot at night, I almost always drop in the 22LR conversion and shoot silenced - not exactly the same, but close enough ...considering. The wife doesn't notice. The deer don't care. And the neighbors don't have a clue.

I have never seen the marketing statistics, but I bet NV and thermal are FAR more ubiquitous than most people suspect. Just like silencers. If it wasn't stupid to do it these days, and if there was a Farmers Only Dot Com for NV shooters, I think we'd have trouble keeping a night free for staying inside and sleeping now and then.
View Quote
Given the cost and the fact that 95% of the "normal" people I tell/show didn't even know nv existed I respectfully disagree.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have the same problem I'm usually stalking varmints in NV solo

I think the heat in Southern Louisiana gets to people most don't wanna deal with the heat and humidity you start wearing nods and gear here it feels like a jungle. The other issue is there's really no place to shoot at night here unless you know someone with a big enuf property. I wish there were more nightvision ranges in the U.S it's sad and lonely like you said. You wanna share this badass fun addiction and run with someone but it's rough.
View Quote
Yep. Don't feel like swiming through the woods at night.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Wish I had access to land or someone who had NV as well.

Unfortunately I live in the city so either I have to take a class, or travel to the other side of the state to shoot in my dads back yard, he lives in the country but has neighbors on each side of his property so im limited to suppressed subsonic 22lr.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#44]
If I had access to property I'd buy the gear.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Cola Warrior is about the only time I shoot at night. There is forest and BLM land here, but I haven't gotten a good answer from the fish cops about shooting at night here. I don't give a shit about blasting Bambi, I just want to kill steel but I don't want NM to take my stuff.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you look at the video I posted above you'll see there's really nothing you can do - When shooting suppressed in the rain (as in that video) or high humidity the smoke obscures the IR illuminator and in some cases the laser as well. It's a huge pain in the ass. My buddy is filming and you'll see when he shoots with the illuminator on it just turns into a big glowing cloud.

The glasses get cat paste put on them and it doesn't fog at all - I've never had fog on my PVS14s. Yeah sweat sucks especially in armor. You just have to accept that you're going to be wet and miserable.
View Quote
That's why you displace after constantly.  I prefer to work alone.  Hours of 'hear your own heartbeat and breathing silence', followed by a single suppressed shot if I'm doing it right.That's day and night.

If I want a social activity where I can flatter my own skills, I go to the bar.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Have been that thinking of getting a good pellet gun....deciding between break barrel and the ones where you charge them and get so many shots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PCP guns are the way to go for guys like us that just want a clean transition from firearm to airgun. You can't hold a spring gun like you would hold a firearm and still expect to get good hits.

The Benjamin Armada is railed on the top with M-Loc on the sides and bottom so you can add whatever Night Vision accessories you want. The .22 caliber variant holds 10 rounds in the magazine and will serve air to about three  magazines before needing to be repressurized.

I use a KAC 600m iron on the rear and a Troy round style flip up on the front. The day optic is an ACOG TA31RCO-M4 and the night optic is an AN/PVS-4. I also have a laser to use in conjunction with the PVS-14. It's about as universal of a precision rifle training aid as I could imagine and it comes with a built in suppressor so I can shoot it whenever I want.

PM me if you want me to walk you through it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Did anyone even watch my video
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Get out at night and have sum fun!

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I subscribe to Thoreau's philosophy - if no one else wants to go then I just go alone. There are safety issues that are exacerbated by traveling alone in the desert but I can't sit waiting for other people forever.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top