Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2017 8:50:53 AM EDT
If you could have only the following two options, which would you select and why?

Option 1: PVS14 with Harris Pinnacle tube plus BE Meyers MAWL C1

Option 2: PVS14 with L3 Chrome Filmless tube plus DBAL A3
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you're going to be pressed to find many users with hands on usage with that new MAWL-C, so Sam's expertise should weigh pretty heavily here. I can tell you that on my end, there isn't a huge impact from going to the Pinnacle tubes to the Chrome tubes. You will notice a difference, but you might not have the kind of wow factor you would going from like Gen 2 to Gen 3. That being said, I am unsure of the wow factor of going from the DBAL to the MAWL-C.

You would also likely be well served by the Pinnacle tube with the DBAL, as there are users rocking that combo with great success.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Sam is right, I love the MAWL-C on my KAC-15 SBR and my AA 6.5 Grendel. IR laser and IR Illum is perfect for what I do on Medium setting, which is primarily wacking hogs and dogs in thick wilderness out 200 yards with ITT Pinnacle PVS-14s.

Medium setting 125 yards:

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Skypup, how does that compare to some of the other IR illum / lasers you've used in the past and what else have you used to compare it to?

I've heard the IR illumination on it is outstanding.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#5]
It is outstanding primarily due to both laser and IR  Illum being perfectly centered all the time at all three settings and it is much lighter weight than any of my DBAL-D2s.

Low setting is kinda useless for me with the Illum on since it lights up everything from your feet out to 100 feet in a real wide arc, however medium setting is fantastic for 25 -250 yards. High setting is really too much for anything I do.

It is like having my LDI SPIR perfectly centered around the IR laser!

Second best for me is my DBAL-A4, at the ranges I engage it comes in second.

Third best is DBAL-I.

I have a couple of nice EagleTac flashlights mounted on my helmet with the Osram 3.4 Watt IR Leds for being mobile and scanning around out 300 yds, then all I have to do is flip on the MAWL.

It also works great from any of my shooting blinds setup over my food plots out 250 yards!

Perfect setup for my KAC-15 11.5" SBR and my AA 6.5 Grendel 12" SBR, easy to cowitness through the ACOGs.

Just disc'ed up all the food plots and planted them, damn hogs are ripping them up now.

BTW, I kill a lot of hogs with the visible green laser during the day too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you could have only the following two options, which would you select and why?

View Quote

Option 2 simply because I avoid using IR...so I want the tube that performs better in low light.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Option #1 will serve you well into the next decade or more.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Those options?  Neither. Just me. I'm with the poster above me. Try to use the least ir I can.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those options?  Neither. Just me. I'm with the poster above me. Try to use the least ir I can.
View Quote
So the general consensus to OPs question as to which NV/laser combo is best in the field is that he only needs NV and maybe a couple of frag grenades?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Zeroing the IR lasers by banging 8" steel plates at 200 yards at night keeps them deadly.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

IR Lum on the B.E. Meyers Class 1+ meets and greets with a full power ATPIAL (left) MAWL C1+ (right).  Distance to tree line if I remember correctly 350 yard+.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/ATPIAL_MAWL_C1_zpsq05aqphv.jpg
View Quote
MAWL looks to be kicking the crap out of it lol.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So the general consensus to OPs question as to which NV/laser combo is best in the field is that he only needs NV and maybe a couple of frag grenades?
View Quote
Your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter lol.

The BEST would be WP and the MAWL. But imo the MAWL is WAY overpriced compared to a $1000 D2.

Now I know the MAWLs illuminator has multiple modes and it does this and that but again, just my opinion and what I've seen, and my use, it isn't worth the extra $1500. Of course, of course if I had tons of money I'd buy a MAWL.

Of course the V2 a4 with the white light really looks awesome to me. I'll probably buy that ifvthe projected price is correct.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

WP>NE
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter lol.

The BEST would be WP and the MAWL. But imo the MAWL is WAY overpriced compared to a $1000 D2.

Now I know the MAWLs illuminator has multiple modes and it does this and that but again, just my opinion and what I've seen, and my use, it isn't worth the extra $1500. Of course, of course if I had tons of money I'd buy a MAWL.

Of course the V2 a4 with the white light really looks awesome to me. I'll probably buy that ifvthe projected price is correct.
View Quote
I purposely left out the A4 as a choice for my question because,

A. It is huge and this is for an SBR.
B. This is going to be used for LE and I would prefer to avoid a large visual indicator from an LED.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Then MAWL is the way to go for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top