Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2017 5:27:33 AM EDT
This is a long shot seeing most of you guys run the xp50.

Anyway, this is my 2nd replacement thermal in under 2 months. My current Thermal has developed the same issue as the first thermal. On the 2nd night on boot up the disply has a now prominent vertical line.

My first replacement developed a fault with the Wifi after a software update about 3 weeks ago. Where the unit showed ( wifi ) 0.0.0 to which the Importer/distributor said it has to be returned to Pulsar for them to fix. So they just replaced the unit, with the current one I have now.

Saturday night, the vertical lines appeared, reset factory settings then the scope had a meltdown. We're the scope went very dark and noting worked. I ended up pulling the B pack ( hard restart ) similar to a couple other optics when this happens.

Anyway, the unit has got the bloody vertical again, black hot is what I mostly use whilst shooting. For now till next month, I am going to have to Shot in white hot. Untill more stock arrives, in which I will recive a 4th unit. I must have the shitted off the NV gods in some way to have gone through 3 scopes since the trail had been released. Guess it's a way of telling me I shouldn't of sold the gen2-3 scopes to find the thermal.

Reason of starting the thread is has anyone else had any issues mostly from the xq uses of the scope as I can not find any issues from XP users.

Xp is off the cards as I don't like the 1.6x nor the $7500 price tag. I shoot rabbits and foxes so the 2.7 optical is better suited for my use.

Vids on my channel, but here one from the second night of my 2nd replacement optic.

Warning some language in Vid, as I'm am quite frustrated. Givin my run of luck.

https://youtu.be/YiY3103IMts

I've tried everything I could think of, the importers/distributors here in Aus have been great to deal with. They are as dumbfounded as I am and not to mention the luck of having 2 scopes produced the same fault in roughly the same amount of hours usage when the fault occurred.

The 1st scope was good had about 20-30hrs of field use. Shame the wifi went kaput after a update. ( need wifi for some functions but mostly needed for updates ) why Pulsar didn't let you update via USB as a back up is beyond me also the pulsars do not have a factory system reboot to default of software. ( so a major issue like the WIFI failing ) as a software update.... will require to be sent Back to the factory.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Zero issues for me with XP38 trail. The lines sound like a OLED issue to me, I've seen that in the past with different model thermals and most of the time they ended up replacing the OLED.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zero issues for me with XP38 trail. The lines sound like a OLED issue to me, I've seen that in the past with different model thermals and most of the time they ended up replacing the OLED.
View Quote
I had a similar experience...same type line on one of the edges...and same thing...they ended up replacing the screen.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear El-Skippo.

I'm sort of in the market for something like the Trail, hope this thread doesn't get deleted and turns into a success story for you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I suspected the amoled screen at first but if it was the display then that vertical lines would be there even whilst digitally magnifying the image.

It's only there on the native base optical magnification of 2.7x

Which has me suspecting the issue is in the FPA, a guess at best but only one I can think of.

As two the thread deletion then that would be a sad state of affairs, all new products have teething issue but to get 3 warranty issue on 3. Different scopes in less then 2 months someone somewhere mush have come across a similar issue or others.

I'm suspecting it's something with the 384 line as by all reports and almost everywhere I looked practically no XP units have had a issue or none yet to be reported.

I've spent good hard earned on the optic $5550 xp is $7500 here in Australia. The things should be bullet proof.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the brightness setting on 2-3 and contrast at 18.

But turn the brightness to full it blends in. But still brighter then the rest of the Disply. If you watched the vids, you'll see the unit auto calibrating.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't fret yet mate. I just just got the XP38 and having a similar but yet different issue. I get a white vertical line on the right hand side of the display but under different conditions than yours. If my sight in "x" value is an integer value all is fine but if there is any fractional part and if I am using white hot then a bright vertical line I think to be 1 pixel width wide appears in the far right hand side of the screen. When I switch to black hot the line switches to black so very hard to discern it's there. I have spoken to others that confirm the same observation with the XP38. My "Y" position can be any value and seems to have no effect.

Your system appears to be reacting differently and saw a video where you changed the "X" value but not the "Y" value. Try setting the "y" value as well as the "x" and "y" to an integer values only, no fractional part, and see what happens.

I have talked to the Pulsar Rep here in Texas describing the issue and he will report it to Pulsar in hopes of getting it fixed with a firmware update. I am just wondering what setting you changed in the menu setting to cause the line to appear and if you set it back all will go back to normal. Your unit showing 2 pixels thick would make sense due to your core being a 384 instead of the 640 so they maybe doubling up with the 384 cores used with the 640 oled display.

If you find that the issue is just setting related than I would just hold on to the unit and just wait for the firmware update fix but let me know the results of your testing and I will report the issue to the rep here in Texas for you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#8]
This is the of thing.

The first night out with the unit I zeroed it. And all was fine, worked flawlessly as it should.

Upon the second night the white line happened ( black hot ) Grey in colour at white hot. This occurred a few seconds upon boot up. Without touching any settings etc just appeared in a similar fashion to my first/ original scope after a few hours use.

My 1st replacement scope didn't get this issue and was the same model all scopes use on the same rifle a Ruger American Ranch in 300blkout.

If it was as stated a couple times the image moving white the retical then why was it not prominent after the scope had been zeroed? The first scope had this white lines as a gradual thing. This current scope it happened instantly.

Im holding onto it till the guys get more stock next month.

1st scope same issue, 2nd scope Wifi failed no issue with screen 20-30hrs use of the scope on many nights. 3rd Current scope, same issue as 1st scope. at roughly same amount of hours use and again after the first nights use with no issues 100% perfect.

Just a odd one.

Skip
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok I may have a win here.

Becouse the scopes no longer on the rifle and I was going to zero it again seeing as I've been told hold onto it.

I believe this is a software issue or bug. My Zero settings on the scope for the rifle was x00.00 y0.7.50 so it was pretty bang on in center.

Now I moved the retical to all four corners to which the retical stays in that location. And dosnt returnen to center. But at the bottom left and right corners the line goes away.

But move the retical back to center and top left and right of the screen the bright line appears.

Edit: see vid below, possible solution/temp fox as upon recording I had different results as previous before I recorded and posted this comment.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#10]
After a bit of mucking around I may have a possible solution. It's pretty random as the results are not a constant. Prior and during the Vid. So your mileage may Vary.

https://youtu.be/QB6SnEpMe3Y

I will keep updated as to how the issue progresses or if any further issues pop up.

Regards

Skip
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Skip, saw your video and good results. Try setting both the "y"  and "x" coordinate to integer values only, 1.00, 2.00. 3.00 ..... , where there are no fractional parts. Your "y" value still has a fractional part of .50, "7.50" . Set "y" at 7.00 or 8.00 not 7.50 . If this works your zero will be shifted very little. Do this by setting the magnification level to 2X before adjusting the x/y positions.  Your adjustments are .50 increments at magnification of 2X and .25 increments at magnification of 4X. This is done by selecting the icon just above the FREEZE function in the zeroing menu then setting the magnification level before going up to set the coordinates.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#12]
That thread is a lot of wow!  I'm glad they are going to make sure to make it right.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Skip, saw your video and good results. Try setting both the "y"  and "x" coordinate to integer values only, 1.00, 2.00. 3.00 ..... , where there are no fractional parts. Your "y" value still has a fractional part of .50, "7.50" . Set "y" at 7.00 or 8.00 not 7.50 . If this works your zero will be shifted very little. Do this by setting the magnification level to 2X before adjusting the x/y positions.  Your adjustments are .50 increments at magnification of 2X and .25 increments at magnification of 4X. This is done by selecting the icon just above the FREEZE function in the zeroing menu then setting the magnification level before going up to set the coordinates.
View Quote
Thanks for the tip, in regards to getting the .50 away, I had thought it was odd with the y going in .50 where the X was going 1.00.

Set the image at 2x as you mentioned and moved the Y to 8.00 so both the x and y have no fractional units.

So far booted it on and off at random yesterday Arvo and this morning the 2x vertical lines haven't re appeared yet. But will keep it all updated as to how it progresses. As it seems from my experience with the 1st and 3rd unit is it happens upon boot up and after its calibration. When the lines show up they will stay there even if you turn it on and off again. And the general setting resetting only changes a few settings back to Default. Not everything.

It's a small win, and not positive it's a solution to the problem as I mentioned in the above post and in the video I had completely different results as what I had done before the recording and upon  the recording yielded different results that gave a unexpected result. Thus this seems a intermittent issue and not a constant that can be replicated exactly.

A small win, that seems to work. Just unsure as to how long the ( temp fix ) would last.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top