Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2017 2:36:11 PM EDT
Several here use the two.  Any and all details appreciated.  Trying to not walk as much and the ute is way to loud.  So what model cart do you use?  What accessories do you think are needed?  How far can you go on a charge?  Do you get stuck at night driving around water?  Ect.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you look into a different exhaust for the UTV? I can't see a golf cart going anywhere close to where a UTV will be capable of going. I've seen some tricked out golf carts though so I guess anything is possible.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have spent time with NV and thermal on several golf carts and they're the absolute tits if you need to scan fields and run trails.  ATVs/Rangers/Dirtbikes are loud as hell and completely defeat the stealth you achieve with NV/thermal.  Driving the truck blacked out works so-so, but only if you add a switch or cover to disable the brake lights.  The truck also has windows and doors that get in the way.  Golf-cart is nice and wide-open.  

We never took the g-cart anywhere crazy.  Honestly it was mainly on pasture roads that were pretty smooth.  None of the g-carts I've hunted from were my personal carts so I can't help OP with those choices, but we never had a problem making it a full night on a charge.  

If I ever got a hog lease close to home, a golf cart would be one of the very first things on my purchase list, after a hog ball feeder, some pig pipes, and a cellular game camera.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j3uni59kgh00zk8a0104w&mi=11469&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcategory%2FBad-Boy-Buggies%2F106057080.uts

My dad had one.  It was quite...its battery powered...its basically a tricked put golf cart with off road tires.  He used the shit out of it, it could almost get to anywhere his ATV could.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks fairly neat. What sort of range does it get?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks fairly neat. What sort of range does it get?
View Quote
I remember it seamed to go a while on a full charge but I didnt pay enough attention to actually hours or distance...the biggest downfall was weight....all those batteries are heavy.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I remember it seamed to go a while on a full charge but I didnt pay enough attention to actually hours or distance...the biggest downfall was weight....all those batteries are heavy.
View Quote
Im surprised it doesnt use lithiums...
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They might have new stuff out...this was 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#8]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIAX2JkxkuM

I use my truck with Rigid D2 IR fog lights.

It's just way too swampy here to use a Golf Cart from June-November. There is no way even a gas powdered cart (we have some) will get anywhere unless it's freshly grated trails with crushed shell on top.

Apologies in advance for the music
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a Polaris Ranger EV Li Ion and NV, but it cost 23K-and you thought NV was expensive.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I got into the cart world as an off shoot of the NV world.  My hunting buddy is about 15 years older than I am and hates walking a lot more than I do.  He bought a 2006 or 2007 Bad Boy Buggy ("BBB") Classic about 3-4 years ago.  The frame, steering wheel, wheels, plastics and roof are still original.  One of the motors is original.  

Lots of new tech in the golf cart world.  Yamaha came out with an AC electric cart that still uses lead batteries with an IRS a year ago.  The aftermarket lift kits are just starting to show up.  Yamaha also introduced a gas cart with EFI that has a "quiet tech" option available.  Not as quiet as electric carts, but pretty damn quiet.  Same issue with the lift kits on it- I've been in the market for one for 2 years waiting on lift kits for the AC or Quiet Tech carts.  From my research, the new Yamahas are just the best two wheel drive option out there.  

From using the BBB to hunt out of the last couple of years, I've noticed that the ATV tires make more noise on gravel than the rest of the cart does.  The Yamaha Quiet Tech's I've test driven on pavement are quieter than the BBB on gravel.  

For anyone even contemplating a used BBB, you need to own a welder and lots of tools.  BBB started out buying fleet carts from EZ GO and then EZ GO bought the BBB company.  Wiring diagrams are extremely hard to come by, and most I've actually been able to get are hand drawn.  There are two types of the older models- one version has one motor that powers all four wheels and the other version has one motor for each axle.  The main computers are called controllers and they are freaking expensive.  On any cart, lifting it and adding larger tires almost requires an upgraded controller, solenoid(s) and battery wire gauges.  Oh, and they're freaking heavy.  The BBB we've been using uses 8 six volt batteries that are a little bit larger than a half ton's auto battery.  About 700 pounds just in batteries that require careful regular maintenance.  The BBB, at least the one we've been using, is the torquiest thing I've ever driven, and it will literally drive up a tree.  That being said, its replacement WILL be 2x4.  

Club Cars and EZ-GOs have a lot more aftermarket stuff available than the Yamahas, including a very aftermarket posi-trac system and lots of very capable lift kits.  

If you want to go completely custom, there are a lot of guys using recalled Nissan Leaf Lithium battery packs to retrofit (or even frame off) existing carts.  Lots of information available at Buggies Gone Wild . com.

For the best custom build I've seen: Yamaha Lithium and More Yamaha Lithium
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#11]
A badboy buggy is no where near a golf cart as far as offroading.  They are 4x4 and made for off road. They make a diesel electric that will charge the batts when running motor and you can switch to stealth mode (motor off running on battery power). Never had one but looked into them a few years back.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a Polaris Ranger EV Li Ion and NV, but it cost 23K-and you thought NV was expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet its bad ass though.  Gotta love the ability to be stealthy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Several here use the two.  Any and all details appreciated.  Trying to not walk as much and the ute is way to loud.  So what model cart do you use?  What accessories do you think are needed?  How far can you go on a charge?  Do you get stuck at night driving around water?  Ect.
View Quote
I have an old EZ Go Golf cart with 36V system.  My batteries are around 3 years old now and the thing still goes all over the neighborhood without any signs of needing a charge.  We really racked up some miles on it this last weekend.  No idea how many, but think about it, it is going to do at lease 18 holes on a not-so-flat golf course.  I would guess we did a minimum of 10 miles. 

Maintain the batts and all is good.  You will never get a gas UTV to be as quiet as an electric cart.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.  A UTV in a 4 WD.  I wanted the Lithium because I did not want the hassle of changing charging algorithms (to prevent battery boiling), acid corroded battery trays, watering systems, and a three or four year battery life.  IF and I say IF the Li batteries last 10 years like they say they will, the cost in battery replacement will make the lead acid version (EV) the same as the Li Ion version, BUT, you have to come up with the $$ up front.  I keep mine in a garage under my bedroom of my house no noise when charging and zero battery fumes like LA batts.  I hit the garage door opener, back out close it and I'm gone.  same upon my return.  Then up the basement stairs to the house-couldn't be better.

Polaris did not do a very good job of keeping mud out, but some black ABS sheet, a saw, and heat gun and I now have crudely fabricated inner fender guards.  I had one minor issue where some Einstein engineer suspended a fuse with a terminal post soldered on either end and left the fuse unsupported.  The vibration makes the solder break, and the whole machine takes a crap.  Polaris has re-designed the fuse Buss bar so the fuse is supported from underneath, and did so under warranty.

Polaris claims like 50 miles on a charge, but under real world circumstances 20-30 is more realistic.  That is more than enough on my 471 acres.  Would I want one on a 15,000 ac ranch with no electricity for charging?  Probably not.  One reason for the increased range is the Li batteries are a LOT lighter than the lead acids.  They are sealed, require no maintenance other than charging and take a lot more charge cycles than the lead acids.  So far, I like it except for the price.  Some guys buy used EV's and convert them to Li Ion, but the conversion costs like 8K.  Me I am not an Electrical Engineer, and don't want to be.  I just want a machine that can do what my legs cannot (I am disabled), and is clean and quiet.  I have that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure how well this works, but just searched and came across this:
https://www.atvsilencer.com/

I was wondering if there was a way to put auxiliary electric motors on my RZR at one time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not sure how well this works, but just searched and came across this:
https://www.atvsilencer.com/

I was wondering if there was a way to put auxiliary electric motors on my RZR at one time.
View Quote
I had one on a Yamaha Grizzly 660 about 10 years ago.  They help a little, but not much.  The increased backpressure caused premature plug fouling on mine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top