Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2017 9:16:40 AM EDT
A couple months ago I purchased a Ab night vision mod 3 built off some autogated automatic gain omni 6 tubes by Nightlong Industries. I recently got to take them out in a field on a five-day training operation where I was able to put about the first 10 hours of use on the tubes post this build. They performed excellent until one night while running a single tube, I had taken my helmet and nvd off and sat them in my lap for a period of rest. Upon turning the unit back on I could not get a clear picture. It seems as if the tube was stuck in a maximum brightness function. At 2 am in the morning the entire image was washed out and the unit was nearly blinding me in one eye. I turned it off and back on, switched batteries, all the basic troubleshooting I could think of at the time.

I checked the tube with the other pod and the bridge and it seems that the tube is still stuck in this function and is unusable. Both pods and bridge function normally with my other tube.

After returning to camp I tried some more troubleshooting, I noticed a LARGE fuzzy black spot in the middle of the non-functioning tube. I havent turned it back on since.

I was wondering if anyone had ever encountered a problem like this and had any advice as to how to remedy the situation.

Pics can follow!

Thanks gents
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you have a bad image tube!
If you can post pictures of the unit or you can always send it back to the company you bought it from.

What tubes was it equipped with? Are they 11769 tubes in a gain housing?
Trying to figure out the full gain part
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like you have a bad image tube!
If you can post pictures of the unit or you can always send it back to the company you bought it from.

What tubes was it equipped with? Are they 11769 tubes in a gain housing?
Trying to figure out the full gain part
View Quote
Sounds like 10160 tubes and yeah really failed badly I am guessing. Hope there is warranty for the tubes!

Out of interest, what can lead to that kind of failure? Could a PSU alone be responsible, too little voltage for the MCP and a lot more to the screen? Or are the inner parts touching and causing massive emissions to cause the brightness?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd get in touch with Ryan and talk to him about it. He'll make it right.-
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#5]
That would be PSU failure
I have a tech that can rebuild that however by the sound of it that power supply overpowered the MCP and may have burnt the Phosphor screen also , can't really tell without pics. It would be interesting to know more and see actual pics

I would just contact the seller and let him take care of it , has to have a warranty if just purchased
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would be PSU failure
I have a tech that can rebuild that however by the sound of it that power supply overpowered the MCP and may have burnt the Phosphor screen also , can't really tell without pics. It would be interesting to know more and see actual pics

I would just contact the seller and let him take care of it , has to have a warranty if just purchased
View Quote
My guess as well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's a 11769, that description sounds like the pigtail breaking. 

If it's a 10160, then it's probably a psu failure, though the description isn't a common one.

Vic's right - just go back to whoever you got it from. No need to sweat it out. Any reputable dealer will look after a product they've made.

Regards
David.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top