Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2017 1:16:32 PM EDT
How do new Digital units compare to Gen 1 analog units in the $250 price range? Specifically I'm looking at micro digital (Solomark, Carson, Xgen), optical digital (Bushnell Equinox, Bestguarder), and Gen 1 analog (Firefield, Sightmark Ghost Hunter, Yukon, Night Owl).

I'm aware under $250 units have limitations and that more expensive units are better. I'm trying to compare Digital to similarly priced analog units, as well as the $100 micro digital vs $250 optical digital units. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged, looking for an inexpensive night vision for storm watch at night.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I'd say that if you buy Gen1 or Digital *over* $250, you're not going to get any additional value. I'd even recommend setting your sights for under $200.

However...

Storm watching was mentioned.

While you can't see dark clouds with a Gen1 like you can a Gen3, a Gen1 will see lightning far better than a Gen3. Just use a dark blue light to focus your lens to a good distance before the storm if possible for best results. 

And if it's mentioned, a S20 photocathode would be better than a S25 for Stormwatching with Gen1. 

Regards
David.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I got a killer deal on a Carson so decided to try it. It is smaller than a deck of cards, very cool for the size and cost. Without the IR illuminator, it lets you see into areas too dark to see with the naked eye, at least in a mixed light environment where your eyes can't get completely dark adjusted. With the IR illuminator, it's like having a flashlight shining. While the light reception is better than naked eye, the resolution is poor and view is narrow.

When you turn it on, it automatically turns on the IR illuminator, so this would not be a good detection device if other people are using NOD.

I may compare a Gen 1 analog or thermal (Flir Scout or Leuopold), I'll update if I do.

(This would work for confirming there's dark storm clouds, but would not be an enjoyable watching experience due to low resolution and view angle).
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Reason I asked is we are with our local EMA team on storm watch, chasing tornado activity at dark is risky, we use RadarScope in the vehicle and the comm center to track storms via 2 way, but another ESDA group mentioned that he is looking into using night vision to watch cloud activity, our backdrop would be against a major city's ambient light, so not knowing a lot about night vision gear, and before I blew $$ on gear I would like to know if it would work for what we wanted or not.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#5]
A pair of 7x50 binoculars will do better than the naked eye, just because it's collecting more light. The 6x50 NV models should have that benefit, plus whatever light amplification they provide. In a mixed light environment with light pollution illuminating clouds, I would think you would have a decent view of clouds with one of these, at least better than naked eye.

Big question I'm trying to figure out, how does a 6x50 gen 1 compare against a 6x50 digital. I've seen some saying digital is worse than gen 1, and others saying digital is between gen 2 and 3. Wildly differing reports. Anyone?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Digital is a narrower FOV than Gen1. This is he biggest difference.  Usually, it's about 1/3 to 1/4 in size compared to Gen1.

This means it usually has very good angular resolution, and uses much smaller lenses, but the price you pay for this is a very narrow FOV.

This is probably the main difference between Gen1 and Digital. That and battery life. Digital doesn't last very long, while Gen1 has a long battery life.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Hawk, that's exactly what I was wondering. Are there specific models that you've tried? Like are you comparing a small digital Xgen vs a 50mm analog? I'm wondering if the larger lens digital like a 6x50 Bushnell Equinox would have better light collection due to the big lens.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems Bushnell doesn't give out either the sensor size or the focal length of the objective lens, but I would guess the sensor is at maximum a 13.2mm wide one and from that the objective lens might be around 70mm focal length meaning F/1.4. That'd be quite good in terms of light gathering so all good on that front, but these digitals will be restricted by the sensor no matter which lens it sits behind. I have very little first hand experience with these, but depending on the ambient light, and not using supplemental IR, you might see better with just regular binos with the lens size. Just saying I think the light gathering ability is a little moot as the sensor will not be able to do much anyway. I would like to be very wrong on this though :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top