Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2017 10:08:17 PM EDT
After an exhaustive and fruitless search for a 1x lense for my ATN night spirit xt3 I am debating a different approach.

I am thinking about buying a full PVS-14 housing from a vendor here but want to make sure my tube will fit.

When I opened the side of the housing the connections look different than the ones from assembly videos. Mine are just 2 wires sodered to the tube.
Attachment Attached File

I pulled the eyepiece and found the number 273358 35 stamped in the tube with s/n 131001669
Attachment Attached File

I have been told my tube has a very decent spec sheet (minus the zone 1 blem). I just want it to be more versatile for mobility purposes. I learned quickly that walking in the woods with 3x was painful.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
From the looks of it I don't think it'll work. Save yourself a lot of headaches and just buy a tube that will fit without modification to the housing. You can always save your ATN unit for the kids or sell it and put the funds towards your new build.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#2]
It should work.
Make sure you carefully unsolder the wires from the tube as it is soldered underneath and you don't want that connection to come loose.

If you not electronically handy just cut the wires and carefully file down to bare metal.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a MX-10160 Tube if you can clean up the Sauter it should drop into a pvs 14 housing looks like a decent tube my kids wouldn't be playing with that one
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#4]
If I remember correctly the image will be upside down as it is more like a PVS-7 inverting tube.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the wiring harness come with the complete (minus tube) PVS 14 kits. I was looking at the one from ultimate night vision.com

I am just unfamiliar with how the contact work on these. In the build videos they show mounting a connector on a post. I don't see any posts on mine just 2 ugly soder boogers.

I just learned the pigtail is for manual gain which my tube doesn't have.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I remember correctly the image will be upside down as it is more like a PVS-7 inverting tube.
View Quote
That is concerning and if it is inverted it would make it useless to me. I have taken both the front and rear lenses off and I don't see any prism or way the image is flipped.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks like an MX10160 format tube - especially with the contacts coming off the side like that.

Can you take a picture of the objective lens you have for it? I wonder if I have something in the part box that might fit - or even if someone else does. Going to a PVS-14 housing is one of the most expensive options short of buying a new device.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#8]
uniquesnd is correct the lens flips the image. I guess that's a deal breaker?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I am just looking for a way to have a 1x lens. I could probably deal with the huge size of the night spirit but it is definitely not ideal.

My goal is to helmet mount it for night navigation on my property.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like that is the XT-3. I was expecting something else. Have you tried contacting ATN to see if they make anything in 1x for that?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks like that is the XT-3. I was expecting something else. Have you tried contacting ATN to see if they make anything in 1x for that?
View Quote
Yes, they are worse than useless. Between the never answered emails and let me check and not call you back customer service I am less then amused with them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That is concerning and if it is inverted it would make it useless to me. I have taken both the front and rear lenses off and I don't see any prism or way the image is flipped.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dont confuse an inverting lens( which it]s supposed to) with an inverting image intensifier. The PVS-14 uses an inverting image intensifier.From your picture your tube looks like an ANVIS MX10160 silver bullet. Should work in a PVS-14 housing with gain control.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:41:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Like everyone else said, looks like an MX10160 and will fit a PVS-14 and as you rightly found out no manual gain. But that's not an issue, the PVS-14 housing is the best option. From Armasight & ATN there are some quite good housings, but the price difference is not that big to warrant going that route. I think they are somewhere around $400 for a NVM14 or a N-14, but for not that much more you can get a PVS-14.

The image intensifier flips the image upside down, thus you don't see anything that does it. It has a fiber optic bundle that is twisted 180 deg. It depends on the optics which one you need, one with or without the inverter, but in this case a regular PVS-14 housing will do fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top