Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2017 6:43:18 PM EDT
Had my pvs-14 housing kit for a week or so now, tube was supposed to be delivered today but I missed it and have to go pick up the package at the post office tomorrow, other than that Im squared away and ready to assemble but have some questions about setting the infinity focus.

Ive read to set infinity focus ring and then lock it in with a grub screw. My kit came with a tiny grub screw in the bag and assuming this is what it is for.
Im not sure of the proper way to set the focus ring and cant find any guides,info,videos, or info on this topic.
Is it as simple as just finding the right focus for my eye on the eyepiece and then pin the ring with grub screw?

Anyone have suggestions on this?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Had my pvs-14 housing kit for a week or so now, tube was supposed to be delivered today but I missed it and have to go pick up the package at the post office tomorrow, other than that Im squared away and ready to assemble but have some questions about setting the infinity focus.

Ive read to set infinity focus ring and then lock it in with a grub screw. My kit came with a tiny grub screw in the bag and assuming this is what it is for.
Im not sure of the proper way to set the focus ring and cant find any guides,info,videos, or info on this topic.
Is it as simple as just finding the right focus for my eye on the eyepiece and then pin the ring with grub screw?

Anyone have suggestions on this?
View Quote
I have some that are not even set with a set screw. It's not critical. Adjust the ocular lens then adjust the objective lens. Run the objective just a hair past perfect focus for the stars. Adjust the ring so you can't focus any further. Set the set screw. I like to be able to run the objective a hair past infinity so I always know that I was able to get to infinity - if you can't pass it then you really never know whether or not you were there. Once calibrated, I can set to infinity without even looking through the tube - I just screw the objective in and back it out a hair.

EDIT: There is adjustment required for the ocular, also. Are you squared with that?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like to be able to run the objective a hair past infinity so I always know that I was able to get to infinity - if you can't pass it then you really never know whether or not you were there.
View Quote
I am glad I am not the only one who thinks like that.  That is exactly how I set mine.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have some that are not even set with a set screw. It's not critical. Adjust the ocular lens then adjust the objective lens. Run the objective just a hair past perfect focus for the stars. Adjust the ring so you can't focus any further. Set the set screw. I like to be able to run the objective a hair past infinity so I always know that I was able to get to infinity - if you can't pass it then you really never know whether or not you were there. Once calibrated, I can set to infinity without even looking through the tube - I just screw the objective in and back it out a hair.

EDIT: There is adjustment required for the ocular, also. Are you squared with that?
View Quote
So infinity focus is basically just where the objective lens is at best focus for distant viewing? Just bring it in focus and go past that a hair and set it there?

Go ahead and give me your ocular setting process as well if you dont mind lol.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Just look at the stars. They are close enough to infinity away for our purposes.

When you have a sharp focus, then a touch ( maybe 5 degrees ) past this point, and lock it in with the lock ring.

That should do it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So infinity focus is basically just where the objective lens is at best focus for distant viewing? Just bring it in focus and go past that a hair and set it there?

Go ahead and give me your ocular setting process as well if you dont mind lol.
View Quote
Yes. Infinity Focus is just that - focusing on an object an infinite distance away. You want the MNVD set to be able to focus as far away as the stars. The Infinity Ring is just a stop so you don't waste your time during use focusing past what the system is optically designed to focus. When calibrated properly and adjusted to Infinity the MNVD should have a Depth of Field from the stars up to about 15 feet away - any closer than that and you need to adjust accordingly. Infinity is your standard focus for navigating so you have a relative focus on nearby objects and focus to distance at the same time. I would estimate that I set my ring only one or two degrees past Infinity whereas David suggested five degrees.

I see David is lurking. David, do you have the Ocular Lens calibration method handy for our friend. I have not done one in a while. As I recall, you want to thread the Ocular Lens onto the rear of the Main Housing until the image is in sharp focus at "0" for a perfect eye - then you lock the ring. If you know your correction for your personal ocular pathology then you could dial your ring to that correction and adjust accordingly - setting the Locking Ring at your calibrated focus point. I remember there is more to it, though. If no one else chimes then this will get you close.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:36:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Along with the above from SOT, the eyepiece diopter adjustment should not go much past +2. If it does, unthread the lens cell and and rotate it so that it jumps to the next threads and check again. For a monocular that mainly you will be using the next is not important, but the TM says when installing the ocular and setting diopter, rotate the focus ring in a counterclockwise manner to 0 and not go past it due to backlash, so if you go over, go back clockwise and then again back to 0. Keep it at 0 and screw the whole thing in until you got a good focus. Probably won't stay steady at 0 so when threading in the eyepiece for a good focus, reset it to 0 always from the same direction (counterclockwise).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top