Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2017 3:49:23 AM EDT
I have used pvs-22's, pvs-27, pvs-26, L3 cnvd and Cnvd-lr and now the pvs-30. I have to say the pvs-30 is by far the best of all of them. I was able to see steel targets at 900 meters with no ir illuminator. With a ir illuminator at 600 yards i could see the bullet in flight before impact on steel. I could also see the impact on dirt on miss shots. Its also shock rated for .50 cal recoil. If you guys are thinking about getting a clip on unit its the best! Amazing piece of gear.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for the review.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol this is NOT helping me say no to the PVS-30!  Was the one you used new production or one of the used/refurbished devices?  Also, did you happen to catch the FOM number on the top of the device, curious if that kind of tube performance is the norm for them or if this was an exemplary unit.  At any rate, thanks for the thoughts on it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
There seems to be a lot of happy customers with those. Super jealous.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#4]
How is the POA/POI shift from day scope to the added clipon?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm considering on of the like new refurbished units myself.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Used it about 4-5 times but the furthest we've set it up to is about 450-600 yards against a tree line/berm.

Buddy's MK13:

MK12: 400 yards

Digging it so far. Waiting on my M110 suppressor to come out of NFA jail.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have a link to the refurb ones?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I am just waking up, took advantage of the full moon last night to hunt the hunter. I've been getting some shots of a black coyote on my trail cams and have found 3 turkey polt feather piles in the last few days, so it was on last night. A few thoughts of when I hunt alone:

I hunt around farms and suburban areas as well as rural. I don't want to ever shoot anyone's dog as I am a huge dog lover. If I am hunting timber I almost always search with a hand held thermal. It's too hard for me to do with NOD alone in the thick stuff. If I am hunting an open area I'll use the PVS-14 and a IR illuminator to look for eyes. Regardless, where the PVS-30 is worth it's weight in gold is target ID. Before I drop the hammer I hit him with the LA-5 and confirm ID with the 30. I had a pair respond to my call last night in a pine thicket. Soon as I saw them I put the FLIR in my dump pouch then I was actually able to ID the one was black with the 30 down a newly thinned row of pines from about 225 yards. I dropped him then got the 2nd on a running shot.

I love the PVS-30. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

Obligatory Jobu pic inspecting the coyote. I always give Jobu run and cigar before a night hunt.

Same coyote on my trail cam

And the 30 on my 20" LMT with S&B 3-20 US

Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure what the max is on these refurb units but I have checked some of the Knights "certificate of conformance" sheets that come with the units and they  have said .50 MOA. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is the POA/POI shift from day scope to the added clipon?
I'm not sure what the max is on these refurb units but I have checked some of the Knights "certificate of conformance" sheets that come with the units and they  have said .50 MOA. 
I had no noticible shift on 2 MRP's at 400 yards.

I bought mine here because it was local and highly recommend these guys. The owner went out of his way and beyond to make sure I was happy with my purchase.

https://www.readymaderesources.com/product/knight-vision-anpvs-30-night-vision/
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info HootieWho!  The ID capabilities of the device are exactly what I am looking for.  Have you used any Vortex or similar price-point optics with it the PVS-30 to see how well it works with day scopes that are not "premium?"  I really like the Vortex PST and Primary Arms stuff I use and wouldn't want to have to swap out everything on several different rifles.  I have heard that the quality of the day scope can be the limiting factor for getting the most performance out of clip-on I^2 units.  That is another reason I really like my L3 LWTS clip-on thermal, since I am essentially looking at a 640x480 TV screen, having super high-end optical quality in the day scope isn't even close to necessary.  I don't think I've waffled on whether or not to make a purchase like this in YEARS!
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info HootieWho!  The ID capabilities of the device are exactly what I am looking for.  Have you used any Vortex or similar price-point optics with it the PVS-30 to see how well it works with day scopes that are not "premium?"  I really like the Vortex PST and Primary Arms stuff I use and wouldn't want to have to swap out everything on several different rifles.  I have heard that the quality of the day scope can be the limiting factor for getting the most performance out of clip-on I^2 units.  That is another reason I really like my L3 LWTS clip-on thermal, since I am essentially looking at a 640x480 TV screen, having super high-end optical quality in the day scope isn't even close to necessary.  I don't think I've waffled on whether or not to make a purchase like this in YEARS!
View Quote
I really think you'll be fine with the Vortex. The only other scopes I've used the 30 with were a Leupold Mk-6 3-18, low end older Kahles, and an ACOG. I honestly would rather have a cheaper scope and have a decent illuminator of some sort for those near no light situations.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love the PVS-30. One of the best purchases I've ever made.
View Quote
I couldn't agree more with this statement. Was running mine 3 weeks ago, no moon, 5 miles from the nearest road and the performance was absolutely awesome. Mine was built with an INTENS tube, I also have no zero shift on 3 different rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top