Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2017 12:27:50 AM EDT
So I finally got to really mess around with this mount and it's acting strange. The mount has a rattle to it and with the bayonet tight in the mount it shuts the 14's off with a little bit of head jerking. Am I doing something wrong or is something off.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to describe the fit issues you're having a little bit better for me to help with that, but insofar as the NOD cutting out when you jerk your head, there's a 99% chance that there's something going on related to the auto-shutoff "feature" of the PVS-14.

Remove the device from the J-Arm and put two little squares of electrical tape over the two gold or silver circular contacts on either side of the threaded hole for the J-Arm so that they no longer contact the prongs on the J-Arm to disable the auto-shutoff function. This will most likely solve your cut-out problem.

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:56:52 AM EDT
[#2]
So messing with it more it is defiantly the cut out feature but on the mount side. The magnet in the Wilcox mount is rattling. If I take something metal and put it next to where the magnet is housed on the Wilcox mount it holds the magnet still and no more rattle.

The 14's work solid with the rhino mount and both these j arms. I could disable the shut off feather but it does not fix the ratting of the magnet.

Edit: so apparently searching l4 g11 rattle comes up with nothing but dropping the l4 part I guess I found the answer. That answer seems to be that the magnet is worthless and to take it out. So I'll get my torq bits in the morning and take it out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Took the magnet out and no problems what so ever. It threw me for a loop cause it's such a crappy design, to be made by Wilcox, with that magnet. It had been sitting in its box for a good bit before I had time to actually use it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#4]
While Wilcox did design the mount, they didn't design the auto-shutoff function, there's probably not a really fool-proof way to design it, polishing a turd and all, sometimes it works fine, and you won't really notice it. Sometimes it will be a never ending pain in the ass until you disable it.

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While Wilcox did design the mount, they didn't design the auto-shutoff function, there's probably not a really fool-proof way to design it, polishing a turd and all, sometimes it works fine, and you won't really notice it. Sometimes it will be a never ending pain in the ass until you disable it.

~Augee
View Quote
Even when it is functioning "correctly", you are relegated to not looking at upper floors of buildings or into trees or even at the stars. A better design would be for the whole pivot detection system to be built into the Lowering Arm so it would only detect the Lowering Arm being folded for stowage. This would not help with people goofing and accidentally leaving the MNVD running when the MNVD is removed from the Lowering Arm for storage so I don't think this would ever make it to production. The "Auto-Off" function appears to be "foolproofing". My design would be primarily intended to aid transitions from one lighting environment to another.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah it's strange design but I get it and plenty fine with it removed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top