Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2017 6:57:21 PM EDT
Got this:

- TNV/PVS-14 Harris Gen3 PINNACLE, with Basic Kit
- Steiner DBAL-I² Class 1 / 3R IR Single Spectrum Laser (Steiner PN 9007)
- Ops-Core FAST Bump Helmet
- Wilcox L4 G11 Mount
- TNVC Base Jump Lanyard

Looks like it should all get here on Wednesday.

So, once I get it, then what? What are some ideas for fun stuff to do with it aside from night hunting (which is what I primarily bought it for but won't be able to go for a few weeks)?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the stars after the moon sets.
Go hiking
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Got this:

- TNV/PVS-14 Harris Gen3 PINNACLE, with Basic Kit
- Steiner DBAL-I² Class 1 / 3R IR Single Spectrum Laser (Steiner PN 9007)
- Ops-Core FAST Bump Helmet
- Wilcox L4 G11 Mount
- TNVC Base Jump Lanyard

Looks like it should all get here on Wednesday.

So, once I get it, then what? What are some ideas for fun stuff to do with it aside from night hunting (which is what I primarily bought it for but won't be able to go for a few weeks)?
View Quote
I see this question a lot. The quick answer is for you to do whatever you want to do - only you will be less limited by the dark. This is especially useful for us to get out of the AZ Summer Sun. I can hunt, hike or scout areas at night without getting seared by the Sun.

I recommend that you take a look at the thread that TechOps and I ran: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/473973_Do-s-and-Don-ts-of-NVG.html

I recommend that you get a steady mix of short bursts of usage and some longer sessions. Keep usage regular. It takes some time for users to adapt to NV and steady use is what gets the job done.

Consider what you want to do, experiment, find the failure points and get back to us for solutions. Make sure the helmet is comfortable. Make sure all of the gear integrates well for you.

My first critical advice: Get used to donning the MNVD and getting the lanyard attached while sitting Indian Style so if you drop it that it falls two feet into your lap and not six feet onto the concrete.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Although you probably won't ever be in a combat scenario, you need to get used to the function, geometry, and controls of your gear. I switched from a PVS-14 to a PVS-23 which are two completely different animals. After building muscle memory with the 14, I find myself reaching for the control toggle under my eye instead of on the side of my nods. I also keep trying to reach up and adjust my INVG when I have an ANVIS mount now. If you're hunting with it, not being able to don the 14 quickly enough could be the difference between getting off a shot and going home empty handed. Just go stare at the stars or walk around your yard at night.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Mind if I ask when you ordered? I'm still waiting on a DBAL-I2 from March
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a setup like yours in trade a month ago and I've gone out every weekend since at a friends to try and get coyotes. Driving with it is pretty cool, showing it off to buddies has got a few of them super interested in buying something too. The place I go for coyotes has a stand and between calls I lay back and see shooting stars you wouldnt see otherwise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top