Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Posted: 5/25/2017 6:43:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
 Holy crap! Great video Detail
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Like I said, 320 Boson is as good as most current 640 cores.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That one in the video has the 9.1mm objective germanium lens, the 640cores will have a 19mm lens.

Pretty sure the ThermoSight C-Boson collimated Clip-On will have a 25mm objective lens.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Well 10 seconds has just burned a hole in my wallet ...looks sick
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The Q14 320 core Boson I was using had a 25mm objective which provided outstanding detail but I thought half that size lens would be much better on the 320 core, of course it did not have the enhanced software and hardware improvements that the Commerical models all have, the image was still incredible everywhere all the time. The recent hardware/software refinements are definitely worth the wait!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
oh man. That looks good. Most of what I could find up until now was so-so, but that looks great.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you record thru the lens, on an iPhone, a DVR, or internal recording?

Do you know what the fov was...with 9mm I'm hoping its at least 23°

Does it have a manual focus or auto focus?

Most important: WHEN WILL THEY SHIP!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#9]
First videos look good looking forward to seeing the full production units.
It would be nice if FLIR makes the Q14B or a viewer only model based on same type micro housing using a 1.5X or 2X size lens. I would like to have one with a 1.5X or 2X lens for scanning. 1X is very limited range in a rural setting with a 320 core.

I never headmounted my Q14 just wasn't real practical so really 1X isn't any benefit to me personally. Scanning and weapon mounting 1.5X to 2X is much more useful to the average hunter/Outdoorsman
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Yay!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Welp.... looks like I'm going to start penny pinching....

How far away was the highway?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is a short clip of the 320 19mm....Yes their 320 core is smokin'! I do not get impressed too quick with new product, but this new 12um Boson 320 was the wow factor.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrmHDrwWTIc
View Quote
How far to the pedestrian in the lower right quadrant of the reticle at the 12 second mark?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Price?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Price?
View Quote
I preordered mine for less than 2k.

$1,995 back in early April.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Can this work as a standalone weapon sight or a clip-on? Or is it  purely a handheld?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can this work as a standalone weapon sight or a clip-on? Or is it  purely a handheld?
View Quote
Early indicators were standalone and not clipon.
Showed multiple reticles in spec sheet.

Can also be helmet mounted.
Theres a few page thread on it below this one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nailed it right there.  I had a pretty substantial talk about this very thing. The Santa Barbara facility has been extremely hard at work and is the crux of the engineering timelines we are seeing.  Another pic below, many more coming along with more Vids. I will also be answering other questions here as I catch up.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Q14B_A_zps3p0bzlre.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Q14 320 core Boson I was using had a 25mm objective which provided outstanding detail but I thought half that size lens would be much better on the 320 core, of course it did not have the enhanced software and hardware improvements that the Commerical models all have, the image was still incredible everywhere all the time. The recent hardware/software refinements are definitely worth the wait!
Nailed it right there.  I had a pretty substantial talk about this very thing. The Santa Barbara facility has been extremely hard at work and is the crux of the engineering timelines we are seeing.  Another pic below, many more coming along with more Vids. I will also be answering other questions here as I catch up.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Q14B_A_zps3p0bzlre.jpg
Its barely larger then the fricken patch

Wow I want!!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#19]
It feels about the size and weight of a pack of unfiltered Camels.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Hnnnggghh

More videos pleaseeeee
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Early indicators were standalone and not clipon.
Showed multiple reticles in spec sheet.

Can also be helmet mounted.
Theres a few page thread on it below this one.
View Quote
Are there any indications that it can be run in parallel with a PVS-14? All I see so far is "stand-alone" with the #37 mount.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#22]
That one looks like it has a fixed focus objective lens, the one I was using had a manually adjustable objective, which was kind of a PITA as the larger objective provided a narrow depth-of-field that needed to be manually adjusted, the smaller f/1.0 lens will provide a much better depth of field view.

The PVS-14 like glass ocular with rotating manual diopter adjustment was nice, pupil size was large and the microbolometer view looked just like my much more expensive FLIR M-18's do.

The freaking awesome  black hot Urban Glow is going to be my GoTo palette.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:22:50 AM EDT
[#23]
What's the detection range like on these?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:28:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Holy.... thats awesome. Thats just not something you are going to get with those $600 leupold or Flir handhelds, but thats the kind of smooth, crisp, free flowing image the people think thermal should be. Up until now, that was going to cost you around 5 grand. But 2 large for that kind of performance? Thats really cool, it'll be very interesting to see how they do when they get released into the wild. I'm keeping my eye on this one.

Now..Vic... Since you're out there with the eggheads, tell them to stop fartin' around and make an affordable COTI with these new tiny cores, that we can all slap onto our already owned NODS!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pretty tough to answer, are we looking for coyotes or Freight trains?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the detection range like on these?
Humans
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Any idea when the first Q14B's and FLIR pro scopes using boson 320 cores will start shipping?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Coyotes/hogs
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#30]
So will production units be helmet mountable? What kind of mount interface?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
So far, I have seen reference to using the #37 Mount that will interface with a Standard Bayonet Socket such as is used in the RHNO and RHNO II, etc. The #37 leaves something to be desired adjustment-wise, so I will be looking to retrofit a Standard PVS-14 J-Arm at the very least (I did a retrofit like this to an Armasight Spark that has the same integral rail and that also uses the #37 Mount).
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Traveled to FLIR for a relaxing meeting and enjoyed some good Cuban cigars along with playing with the new line of 12um Boson goodies. Hands down the best 320 I've seen to date! At first look, it was hard to believe this was a 320 system.  Took some quick pics and vids. Game changer for sure. More to come with pics and vids stay tuned...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_4K12XBjcM
View Quote

TNVC of all people smoking commie Cubans...... dafuq?

Is there going to be an insta alert type pallets for colors?

Is it simple enough I can hand it to an untrained person with insta alert on and they can find a body hiding under some bushes?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It will have adapters for both bayo and dovetails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you know the part number for the Dovetail Adapter so we can try to get sorted before the units arrive? Is it something you already have in stock?

EDIT: Is this the #172 Adapter? If so, is it optimized for Norotos or Wilcox Dovetail Arms?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View from the button side. The design of the monocular itself is ergonomic and functional. No issues with any manipulation of the buttons with one hand and wearing gloves will be no issue. More to come, playing catch up a bit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Q14B_B_zpskh5gw4lq.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you record thru the lens, on an iPhone, a DVR, or internal recording?
That what's so impressive about these. Even though the video was shot with the units internal recording, it's still VERY impressive.  Keep in mind you have approx. 20-30% loss with video transfers, this is normal for any internal Vid transfers to other media. Bottom line, wait till you see what the real time images look like! As stated, I did NOT believe I was looking at a 320 system, and thought it was 640.

Do you know what the fov was...with 9mm I'm hoping its at least 23°
Not final, but presently approx. 24deg.

Does it have a manual focus or auto focus?
It has fixed lens with diopter focus. The images snapped into focus using the diopter for me.

Most important: WHEN WILL THEY SHIP!!!!!!
I am shying away from releasing any official dates.  I learned that a long time ago. I know they are close.
View from the button side. The design of the monocular itself is ergonomic and functional. No issues with any manipulation of the buttons with one hand and wearing gloves will be no issue. More to come, playing catch up a bit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Q14B_B_zpskh5gw4lq.jpg
I haven't drooled this much since my first gen 3 purchase.

I am gonna start with the 320 core q14b...then pony up and get a thermosight pro with 640 once they come out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I picked up deer and hogs at 800 yards with mine and Positive ID was good at 225 yards.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I picked up deer and hogs at 800 yards with mine and Positive ID was good at 225 yards.
View Quote
Impressive.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks, Vic

Skypup indicated the video I asked about was shot with a 19 mm lens, is that correct?

If it was a 19 mm, does my math check with a FOV of approximately 11.5 - 12 degrees?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Dumb (technically challenged) question - given the size of the optic and small eye piece, I'd imagine this would be extremely difficult to see through on a weapon or helmet mount. Is there an adaptor that can lengthen the eye relief so you aren't literally an inch away from a recoiling scope? Sorry if my question seem to naive or uneducated. Just seems like logically speaking this is toooo small for hunting purposes except to scan?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Link to preorder?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Dumb (technically challenged) question - given the size of the optic and small eye piece, I'd imagine this would be extremely difficult to see through on a weapon or helmet mount. Is there an adaptor that can lengthen the eye relief so you aren't literally an inch away from a recoiling scope? Sorry if my question seem to naive or uneducated. Just seems like logically speaking this is toooo small for hunting purposes except to scan?
View Quote
It is not a primary standalone TWS, that is just one of its numerous applications, and at that it is a short to medium range TWS when used for that objective. It does, however, work extremely well as a helmet mount as I did use it for that like I do my M-24s, for that purpose it is excellent and super lightweight. The ocular is also quite large and definitely much larger than a human pupil at night or during the day (3-4mm day and 7-8mm night) making the view superb.

There are other iterations of Boson equipped standalone TWS and Clip-Ons TWS that would fit your application better as a standalone TWS for a weapon mount that are not primarily hand scanners or helmet mounted

That said, it does have a huge image viewer with a very clear view through the ocular and may be used for that purpose quite effectively on most weapons.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Gotcha. Is this where the other scopes are listed? The prices go up quite a bit from there! Looks like the q14b is really the only standout here. The other RS series would probably not be as competitive as a XP50 or REAP IR?

http://flir.com/thermoSightR-Series/mobile/phone/index.html

Quoted:
Link to preorder?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#46]
No, Boson specs on new models have not been updated yet, those are the specs on the TAU2 microbolometer cores.. There are over 30 new products being outfitted with the Boson cores.

If you want a Pulsar or Truijicon IRD you can try to get one of those now, otherwise you'll have to wait until end of summer for the new FLIR Boson TWS and Clip-On scopes. Plus, you could always get an ATN too!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quick question. 

I think you said those videos are recorded to internal memory. 

Just want to clairfy. That's digital internal video not analog that's been wired out to a traditional DVR? Is there a provision for a microphone?

Those videos look similar to what the internal video on my flir vue pro 640, which records internally as a higher quality digital video. But the only way I can view live streaming from the vue is by way of a lower quality analog video jack to a monitor or display. So for the vue, it's analog live and digital recording. 

I know you said the image looks better than these videos. Does this mean through the Q14 viewfinder for live imaging is also digital but at some even higher rate?

that would be a big step up in my opinion. I always thought if there was a way to make my vue display at the same quality that it records internally, it would be perfect. 

I'm sure my lack of technical terminology has completely botched my questioning. Hope this was simple enough?

Thanks. 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wilcox and Nortoros dovetail mount works best.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top