User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hard_ware. 

Thanks for this explanation. So would it be fair to say the following is also true about the Q14B:

But the way you explained it doesn't really sound like a negative? And depending on the power of the processor and software may even be desirable?

For the record, I am thrilled to know that FLIR is now using a better display to match their potentially superior core processor. 

Thanks. 
View Quote
Better "True" resolution is better than equivalent "Processed" resolution. The "True" image is what the sensor actually sees - the "Processed" image is what the sensor thinks is there based on what it sees. In some instances what you would see at the user output might be exactly the same but, in some instances, a system with better "True" resolution might see something that a "Processed" image might not see.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Hardware.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The pixels that are software generated are not randomly made they will be values within the values the sensor generates. So what is detected will be displayed. The interpolated pixels will not reduce the clarity. If several sensors are outputting a black pixel to the display the interpolated pixels will be black as well. The image will have all the detail of the sensor. It's just the display is capable of higher resolution. But this does not reduce the performance of the sensor, quite the opposite as to what occurred with the early ps scout units.
The ps24 units were sold as 240 cores and some people could see the improvement with the ps32 320 core.
What is funny is no such core 240 exists it's a 320 core same as the ps32. I have a ps24 and a ps32 paired up as a bino setup. If the sensors were different the FOV would be different and the two images would not superimpose.  Both units use the same 19mm lens and produce the exact same images, the ps32 has digital zoom and the ps24 has freeze frame. All the new thermals have stepped up the image quality. The size and color palettes the boson is capable of is what should make it stand out. 18650 battery capability would be nice as 5+ hrs runtime would be possible . I am looking forward to getting one after some more videos show the features.

I will use it helmet mounted over right eye as to not effect my other eye.
The right eye will be used for MKIII 60mm scope or q14b. Left eye will have pvs14 if needed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The view for a 320 core is outstanding, never seen one this powerful.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If this was already covered, I did not see it so please point me there.

How are you night-hunters who already have NVDs planning to integrate this device into your routine?
View Quote
Throw the thermal on my helmet and this.
I ready have it planned out and am building the rifle.

Waiting for geissele parts to finish.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Waiting for a 320 Clip on for this 6.5 SBR.  Patiently...........

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Throw the thermal on my helmet and this.
I ready have it planned out and am building the rifle.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2i765ib.jpg

Waiting for geissele parts to finish.
View Quote
Don't forget the suppressor, without one the fireball and smoke will blind you for (time depends on how fast wind is blowing). This is where thermal is nice, no loss of target while sending pills downrange .

Other option is 45 degree rail on rifle to move helmet mounted boson to rifle for backup, and turn on the cross hairs.

Depending on the diameter of the lens on the q14b a GGG pvs14 mount will allow fast swapping to a rifle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#7]
From Vic's post on another board the Q14B does not have an adjustable reticle.

it just came of my must have list.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't forget the suppressor, without one the fireball and smoke will blind you for (time depends on how fast wind is blowing). This is where thermal is nice, no loss of target while sending pills downrange .

Other option is 45 degree rail on rifle to move helmet mounted boson to rifle for backup, and turn on the cross hairs.

Depending on the diameter of the lens on the q14b a GGG pvs14 mount will allow fast swapping to a rifle.
View Quote

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From Vic's post on another board the Q14B does not have an adjustable reticle.

it just came of my must have list.
View Quote
What does that mean? You can't sight it in?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Really? Did I just dream it up at the Q 14B was a handheld/helmet mounted scanner with weapon sight capabilities assuming it had the appropriate rail mount attached to the bottom?

I guess I need to work on my reading skills?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the clarification - so they were 19mm and 50mm non Q14B's? I went back through the images and just saw 320 12um listed. Would the images from the Q14B's look any different since it would be the same core and similar/same software?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#14]
http://www.flir.com/ots/q14/

This link says it is helmet or weapons mountable. What are you supposed to do with it mounted on a weapon  if it's not a weapon site?

theres 48 pages of instructions at this link. I have not read it yet but the table of contents list reticle and boresighting. 

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/Store/Products/OTS/Q14/armasight-q14-timm-336-30hz_userguide.pdf

edit: looks like the old 336 core product instructions. 

But the picture of the unit on the first page of the Q14 product link has a yellow bubble that says all new boson core. WTF??
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As stated, FINAL specs pricing etc. will be subject to change. This is why we do not post spec sheets etc. on our web site due to changes of a new product that surely happens.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This link says it is helmet or weapons mountable. What are you supposed to do with it mounted on a weapon  if it's not a weapon site?

theres 48 pages of instructions at this link. I have not read it yet but the table of contents list reticle and boresighting. 

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/Store/Products/OTS/Q14/armasight-q14-timm-336-30hz_userguide.pdf

But the picture of the unit on the first page of the Q14 product link has a yellow bubble that says all new boson core. WTF??
As stated, FINAL specs pricing etc. will be subject to change. This is why we do not post spec sheets etc. on our web site due to changes of a new product that surely happens.
That really sucks, I was assured several times that it will be weapons mountable up to 308. If not it will substantially lose much value for me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you. The description down the page regarding the product labeled Q14B lists weapons mountable as its capabilities. 

FLIR Publication

Is this the same part number of the new FLIR Boson Q14B that has an expected price of about two grand?

(Scroll down to page 15) copied from that flir publication link?

TAB173WN8Q14001 

thanks  
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That really sucks, I was assured several times that it will be weapons mountable up to 308. If not it will substantially lose much value for me.
View Quote
Me either. 

Not interested in that product if it only serves as hand held or helmet mount. 

I am interested in the product in this size form factor that is also weapon mounted. And actually if the truth be known I'm probably more interested in the clip on version. 
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Me either. 

I am interested in the product in this size form factor that is also weapon mounted. And actually if the truth be known I'm probably more interested in the clip on version. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Me either. 

Most of the weapons I intended to use this on are RDS on QD mounts so the clip on wont help me much. If it is only going to be a hand held ill probably cancel my pre order depending on how much a price jump the 19mm unit will be. that said the extra X will kill the other uses I had for it.... don't know.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#22]
The original Q14 had an adjustable crosshair. Does the Q14B?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All value would be gone for me. Looks like I will have to go with one of the newer TWS out there...
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Guess I'll be the odd man out: I think there's great value in a handheld and helmet-mountable thermal scanner for ~$1900. I paid that much for my Pulsar HD19A, which has already proven ten times more effective than NVDs for the limited purpose of acquiring far-away and obscured targets.

I don't need it to be a reticled scope at this price point.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll have a Q-14B soon for a helmet scanner then when the downloadable update for the stadiametric range finder reticules comes out I'll update that for a short range weapon scope as well, but the Boson Clip-On will be used as a primary thermal weapon scope and not a scanner.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Also notice this was a 19mm version. The one I tested is the 9.1mm.
View Quote
 Yes, I did miss that detail. Thank you. 
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not in the initial roll out, but a freebie download after the software specifically designed for the reticules is completed later on, there will be lots of updates for the Boson cores as it will take a good 5-6 years for all the benefits to be teased out of the Boson hardware package with new software applications and hardware tweaks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'll have a Q-14B soon for a helmet scanner <snip>
View Quote
Stand-alone, or mounted in conjunction with MNVD?  Could this be accomplished so they can be flipped up and down separately? How?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not in the initial roll out, but a freebie download after the software specifically designed for the reticules is completed later on, there will be lots of updates for the Boson cores as it will take a good 5-6 years for all the benefits to be teased out of the Boson hardware package with new software applications and hardware tweaks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
seems like a step forward on 320 image and two steps back on usability.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't understand - if the crosshair is already part of the software package for the standalone scopes, why would that not be made available for the Q14B series as part of the retail release? That is a huge setback. Given that the prior gen Q14 had crosshairs as part of the device software package, I hope the lack of crosshairs at retail launch for the newest model of the Q14 is being loudly communicated.

With the speed the industry is moving, is it even worth buying this with the hope that the software reaches maturity in 5-6 years? I wonder what the anticipated product life-cycle is for this device.

I hate to sound overly critical, but these are red flags for me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The 9.1mm is perfect for hand hold and helmet mount 24deg FOV.  The 19mm will be perfect for the weapon platform but not ideal for hand held or helmet, narrow FOV. The Q14B is the FIRST of a long list of devices used to mature into this new core.

Also for those wondering about the 640 versions. Hot off the press.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/2017%20Update_zps6keukb8c.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand - if the crosshair is already part of the software package for the standalone scopes, why would that not be made available for the Q14B series as part of the retail release? That is a huge setback. Given that the prior gen Q14 had crosshairs as part of the device software package, I hope the lack of crosshairs at retail launch for the newest model of the Q14 is being loudly communicated.

With the speed the industry is moving, is it even worth buying this with the hope that the software reaches maturity in 5-6 years? I wonder what the anticipated product life-cycle is for this device.

I hate to sound overly critical, but these are red flags for me.
The 9.1mm is perfect for hand hold and helmet mount 24deg FOV.  The 19mm will be perfect for the weapon platform but not ideal for hand held or helmet, narrow FOV. The Q14B is the FIRST of a long list of devices used to mature into this new core.

Also for those wondering about the 640 versions. Hot off the press.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/2017%20Update_zps6keukb8c.jpg
the whole purpose and allure is you can use it for a WS, HM and a HH. If I wanted one as a WS only I would buy a better suited unit. the only thing that made up for the poor batt live was its versatility.  If in fact the Q14B is a scanner/HM only it servers very little purpose for me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#34]
That's what I really like, what you think you know and what you think you see is not what you are getting,  it's what you don't know and what you don't see and what you can't imagine, as the Boson cores are improved over the next several years.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Since I owned and used the first gen Q14 I'll give some user feedback. First, the coolest part of my Q14 was its ridiculous tiny size and lite weight. I've never seen anything else thermal wise that compares it's just bad@@@ period.  I also have the helmet mount/weapons mount and used both mounts types many times.

To be fully honest while the Q14 did work as a weapon sight, I'm not a huge fan of the current armasight weapons mount and the 1X very much limited its usefulness as a weapon sight. Too me it's a great backup or specialty type weapon sight for use in a pinch. Kind of the perfect go bag multi-use thermal system. That all said its not a replacement for a real TWS in my mind.  If  the new Q14B/X had a 320 core and 19mm lens it would make a better weapon sight and a better scanner for me. Add a better aftermarket weapon mount then maybe it would be a serious TWS.

Head mounted it's weird trying to navigate terrain with thermal it's no PVS-14 by any means. However it's nice to be hands free thermal while onstand scanning for game. Once  again the 19mm(1.5x)  320 would be a better scanner for most hunters.

And last year if you wanted a 320 core mini thermal mono you paid 4K plus for the Q14 and over 5K for Odin. Under $2000 I would buy the new and improved q-14 even just as a mini monocular. Weapon sight would be a plus yes.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I like getting new and improved abilities with FW upgrades but I don't like it losing something as major as the ability be used as a WS in hope of getting it back down the road at some point. honestly its like pre ordering a Ferrari and right before you take delivery you find out the 200mph 800hp V12 you ordered has been limited to 150hp and 65mph but they might let you up grade back to the advertised spec in time or possibly as an added fee. like I said the ability to be used at a WS is what sold me on my 1st Q14.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That's what I really like, what you think you know and what you think you see is not what you are getting,  it's what you don't know and what you don't see and what you can't imagine, as the Boson cores are improved over the next several years.
View Quote
I just got dizzy reading that
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I just got dizzy reading that
View Quote
Once you get your hands one one you'll feel much better
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Just to be clear, Q-14B will have multiple pallets available?  Skypup (iirc) said there was...but all I've seen is B&W.  

Just wish to be clear...

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#40]
It may not be $2,000 either.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just to be clear, Q-14B will have multiple pallets available?  Skypup (iirc) said there was...but all I've seen is B&W.  

Just wish to be clear...

Thanks
View Quote
Yup, quite a few, I think Urban Glow black Hot is my favorite.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It may not be $2,000 either.
View Quote
Or then again it may be $20,000 with a 150mm lens.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
When I buy something, I like to know exactly what I am getting so I can manage my expectations accordingly.  I feel like the lack of the weapon sight software is a major mistake.

I was primarily look at this for a handheld / short range weapon sight, but I figure 75% of my usage would be as a handheld scanner.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol this sounds like Sachal from ATN.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like Angelo at Flir might wanna have a talk with his sales team regarding the half dozen or so videos of him at the shot show interviewing and stating it is weapons mountable...several videos show a close up and it even says "q14 B"...

All I'm saying is if you are gonna hype certain features....then not have them on release... but promise them on future firmware updates...idk...kinda seems similar to something other companies get crucified for on here.  I'm just being devils advocate.

Its not enough make me not want one...but I was looking forward to having adjustable reticle for weapons mounting for sure.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Have you been fraternizing with Schrodinger's cat?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Looks like Angelo at Flir might wanna have a talk with his sales team regarding the half dozen or so videos of him at the shot show interviewing and stating it is weapons mountable...several videos show a close up and it even says "q14 B"...

All I'm saying is if you are gonna hype certain features....then not have them on release... but promise them on future firmware updates...idk...kinda seems similar to something other companies get crucified for on here.  I'm just being devils advocate.

Its not enough make me not want one...but I was looking forward to having adjustable reticle for weapons mounting for sure.
View Quote
All in good time!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Lol this sounds like Sachal from ATN.
View Quote
My Hero on BoTox!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Honestly, people are flipping out over "fake news" on this it seems.
Most if not all of both of these threads have been speculation to some degree.

At least wait for a official FLIR spec release to judge.
No offense to anyone, but this is like a (2) thread roller coaster.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top