Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 9:30:37 PM EDT
I'm looking to jump into BNVDs as somewhat of a treat to myself, and for what I'm doing on my property. Everything I'm reading is making me think the Sentinels are right for me. But then again, there's not exactly anywhere to compare the latest and greatest side by side.

What I'm looking for:

Helmet mounted binos that would mostly for dynamic, recreational shooting at steel, but obviously it'd be great if they could handle home defense, as well as driving things like a Gator, RZR, pick up truck, and the occasional hog hunt.

It seems like Sentinels are commonly built from the ground up. What would I need to be concerned about spec wise other than what tubes go in the housing? And the mount type of ANVIS or Dovetail? I'm very much of the mentality of buy once/cry once, especially when it comes to anything optics. I was looking at the Gen 3, white phosphorus tubes. I'm more interested in getting one, kick ass NOD that can do it all rather than having a helmet rig, a separate CNVD, etc.

Are sentinels right for me? I'm more than happy to answer any questions, research what I need to, as well as take suggestions or recommendation on other gear. I was tempted to reach out to TNVC to ask about this, but I didn't want to overwhelm them with questions and my being a dumbass.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Sentinels are awesome and a great choice.

Do you have any friends with NV? Would you like to have people hunt with you?

The reason I ask is because one of the toughest things about night vision is having friends with it. The Mod 3 would allow you to break the binos down into two monoculars so you could loan one out to a friend if you need to.

Just something to think about. I own Sentinels because I had no plans to want to split them up. I do plan to put together another bino setup using the Mod 3 housing so I can have 1 or 2 friends tag along with me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sentinels are right for everybody. They are arguably the toughest Dual tube NV around and they do not way but maybe 5 ounces more than PVS-31's. Delrin is an amazing substance, if youre of the buy once cry once mentality the L3 unfilmed WP intensifier tubes are the road to go down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sentinels are right for everybody. They are arguably the toughest Dual tube NV around and they do not way but maybe 5 ounces more than PVS-31's. Delrin is an amazing substance, if youre of the buy once cry once mentality the L3 unfilmed WP intensifier tubes are the road to go down.
Damn, a reply from TNVC, themselves!

I'm glad I'm down the right path, then! I'm looking more for durability than anything. Obviously I won't be trying to whack them around, but if they can take a ding of hitting against the frame of a door on a vehicle, that's obviously a huge plus. Especially while I'm getting used to having them sticking off a helmet.

Forgive my ignorance, but do I need to decide anything else other than what tubes go in them? I was under the impression there were a lot more specs to decide, but if it's that easy, you may have just sold me a pair. :P

Also while I've got ya. In my initial research, I've heard the AV/VIS mounts can experience some power outages. Would I be better off with the dovetail? I really like the appeal of a separate battery pack on the rear, but I don't wanna have to deal with flickering power. Wondering if that's normal or they just had bad units.

Quoted:
Sentinels are awesome and a great choice.

Do you have any friends with NV? Would you like to have people hunt with you?

The reason I ask is because one of the toughest things about night vision is having friends with it. The Mod 3 would allow you to break the binos down into two monoculars so you could loan one out to a friend if you need to.

Just something to think about. I own Sentinels because I had no plans to want to split them up. I do plan to put together another bino setup using the Mod 3 housing so I can have 1 or 2 friends tag along with me.
I do have friends with NV, but they won't be out with me. They're on their own for getting NVDs!

I hear what you're saying, though. The monoculars are neat, especially the binos that can run each eye individually. That being said, a buddy of mine has a single PVS14 on his rig and I could NOT get used to it for the few hours I was working with it. I'm sure I'd get used to it in time especially in a helmet that was more for my head rather than borrowing his, but it's what kicked me down the road of BNVDs.

Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I do have friends with NV, but they won't be out with me. They're on their own for getting NVDs!

I hear what you're saying, though. The monoculars are neat, especially the binos that can run each eye individually. That being said, a buddy of mine has a single PVS14 on his rig and I could NOT get used to it for the few hours I was working with it. I'm sure I'd get used to it in time especially in a helmet that was more for my head rather than borrowing his, but it's what kicked me down the road of BNVDs.

Thanks for the reply.
View Quote
Sounds like the Sentinels are the way to go then.

I had no issues when running a monocular, but after using binos I have no plans to go back to a monocular lol.

As for tubes... If you can afford the L3 Filmless White Phosphor tubes then that is what you should get. L3 Filmless tubes are the best tubes money can buy. If you're trying not to spend that much you can step down to thin film tubes. They are excellent and should do everything you need them to. The advantage to filmless is that they perform quite a bit better in very low light conditions.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
WP Sentinels are utterly incredible.  I have had zero issues with the ANVIS shoe having power interruptions but I can put a battery in my Sentinels and carry on without the battery pack if I so choose.  I have a PVS14 on another helmet but to be honest I don't use it since I got the Sentinels.  It's just a spare in case the gf wants to look at the stars.   
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had no issues when running a monocular, but after using binos I have no plans to go back to a monocular lol.

As for tubes... If you can afford the L3 Filmless White Phosphor tubes then that is what you should get. L3 Filmless tubes are the best tubes money can buy. If you're trying not to spend that much you can step down to thin film tubes. They are excellent and should do everything you need them to. The advantage to filmless is that they perform quite a bit better in very low light conditions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Starting to sound that way. If you don't mind me asking, do you have the dual gain versions? The more I research into em, it seems like the more options there are. Didn't know if adjustable gain was worth it. I'd imagine the none adjustable ones handle things pretty well automatically. That being said, I'm glad binos are the master race, even with someone who could use monos just fine.

Quoted:
WP Sentinels are utterly incredible.  I have had zero issues with the ANVIS shoe having power interruptions but I can put a battery in my Sentinels and carry on without the battery pack if I so choose.  I have a PVS14 on another helmet but to be honest I don't use it since I got the Sentinels.  It's just a spare in case the gf wants to look at the stars.   
Glad to hear from an ANVIS user. Just because I can't find a definite answer online, do you know what kinda battery life you get with the ANVIS pack? Dovetail seems to be about 30 hours, was wondering how much a pack pumped that up. I also like the adjustability on the Wilcox G24, so I'm still weighing ANVIS/Dovetail. Having a backup PVS14 doesn't totally suck! I'm sure your lady loves it, just don't let her throw on the Sentinels, she might not give em back. LOL
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't measured it but it uses 2 CR123s or 4 AAs. So should be quite a bit of time off the 123s but being able to change between the battery styles was the decider for me. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I haven't measured it but it uses 2 CR123s or 4 AAs. So should be quite a bit of time off the 123s but being able to change between the battery styles was the decider for me. 
View Quote
Absolutely. And the fact that it acts as a counterweight doesn't hurt at all. I appreciate the info! Did you order through TNVC?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Starting to sound that way. If you don't mind me asking, do you have the dual gain versions? The more I research into em, it seems like the more options there are. Didn't know if adjustable gain was worth it. I'd imagine the none adjustable ones handle things pretty well automatically. That being said, I'm glad binos are the master race, even with someone who could use monos just fine.
View Quote
I don't have the dual gain version. I just use the regular housing with mx-10160 tubes. Most people I have talked to prefer not having manual gain on binos... I have never used manual gain on binos so I can't comment on that.

Mine is on the right, but both are Anvis Sentinel housings
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't have the dual gain version. I just use the regular housing with mx-10160 tubes. Most people I have talked to prefer not having manual gain on binos... I have never used manual gain on binos so I can't comment on that.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/260726/20170227-010236-170117.JPG
View Quote
Yeah, I wouldn't like having to tweak them constantly. Let alone for each eye. Think I'll go with the auto. That's a nice looking rig! I'll have to look into strobes. Seems like the Manta is popular. I thought the Mk12 community was small, I'm starting to think the NV community is even smaller!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, I wouldn't like having to tweak them constantly. Let alone for each eye. Think I'll go with the auto. That's a nice looking rig! I'll have to look into strobes. Seems like the Manta is popular. I thought the Mk12 community was small, I'm starting to think the NV community is even smaller!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/260726/20170227-010236-170117.JPG
The manta is nice, but my next strobe will be a Helstar 6. The issue I have with the Manta is that the battery cap sucks and cracks over time.

The NV community is small, but it is really growing right now. That is why I was asking if you had friends with NV because it is tough to find people to shoot with.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The manta is nice, but my next strobe will be a Helstar 6. The issue I have with the Manta is that the battery cap sucks and cracks over time.

The NV community is small, but it is really growing right now. That is why I was asking if you had friends with NV because it is tough to find people to shoot with.
View Quote
I'm glad you said something, I was looking at the Manta pretty seriously. Now that I've settled on the Sentinels, I'm looking at the other little stuff like IR strobes (the V-Lite looks neat, as well.), helmet covers, and the Princeton Tec helmet lights. There's way too much cool stuff out there.

And I gotta choose my helmet. As if that's an easy decision.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Always go with Sentinels.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:59:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Absolutely. And the fact that it acts as a counterweight doesn't hurt at all. I appreciate the info! Did you order through TNVC?
View Quote
Yes, I order pretty much everything NVG related through TNVC.  Best company around.

My current set-ups.

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#16]
if you don't need the ability to remove one of the pods or swing one out of the way to run it like a 14 the sentinels are hard to beat

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#18]
This turned into a picture thread and I could not be more pleased. Goddamn do I wanna spend some money now....

Quoted:
On the Sentinel:

Run the Wilcox dovetail over the ANVIS style. the dovetail is lighter weight and much much stronger and lower profile, there is a reason the Wilcox L$ G24 is the Standard for SOCOM ground troops.

ANVIS is for Aviators unless you're part of an aircrew don't mess with them. Also don't bother with helmet mounted battery packs for ground stuff, they take up a good amount of real estate and do not provide near the counterweight you'll want as batteries weigh in at just 1 oz. each, also wires snag on things and are another failure point. the onboard CR123 on the Sentinel provides over 30 hours of power in most temp ranges.

Sometimes the military does it right, look no further than what Rangers, Green Berets, DEVGRU, and SFOD D boys are running around the desert and mountains with nowadays. While the Aircrews of the Army, Navy, Air Force and USMC are running completely different mounts, shrouds, and goggle systems.
View Quote
Sam, this is exactly what I need. Someone to just lay it down and tell me which one is better.

But in response to the bold, what's a guy gotta do to get the GPNVGs legalized? I mean, damn....

Have any input on Crye Airframe over the Ops-Core Fast Maritime?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]
This has been a fun read, and pics to boot. I'm saving my pennies up, but still a year away (I'm a cash vs credit kinda guy). And that's if I go NV, I'm torn between that or Thermal. Obviously both is the Correct answer, but my budget doesn't allow that for now.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#20]
There are plenty of pretty cool dudes using ANVIS-style ball-detent mounts versus dovetails, the $1,800 Wilcox Ground Spec Goggle Mount (GSGM) wasn't made for nobody.

ANVIS mounts allow you to have a much simpler on/off "manual of arms" and will stow the goggles lower over your head--but further forward than a dovetail mount. I prefer this profile as I believe that it's easier to get in and out of vehicles and work in tight quarters this way.

I have both the G24 dovetail and ANVIS ball-detent/adapter, and typically prefer to use the ANVIS, though the devices themselves (ABNV MOD-3 v. AVS-6) are quite different in my case. I would have loved to convert my MOD-3s to an ANVIS-style mount, but I am... significantly less than enthusiastic about the solution that ABNV came up with, almost enough to wish I'd gone with a Sentinel for that feature, though in my case, being able to separate them into two monoculars is still a useful one to have.  

Ops-Core Maritime will give you more "wiggle room" if you're using helmet mounted hearing protection/comms. I have both an Ops-Core FAST XP (high cut, not Maritime) and an Airframe, and I generally prefer to wear the Ops-Core because of the extra stability offered by the liner system. Liners can be installed in the Airframe, but the Ops-Cores come with them--get the Lux Liner versus the Occ-Dial if you have a choice, but both are more stable than the H-Nape usually supplied with the Airframe.

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Went with the Sentinels with a dovetail mount as described above.

Also went a little oddball with the Color tubes and manual gain from Chris Adams, and never looked back after experiencing them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There are plenty of pretty cool dudes using ANVIS-style ball-detent mounts versus dovetails, the $1,800 Wilcox Ground Spec Goggle Mount (GSGM) wasn't made for nobody.

ANVIS mounts allow you to have a much simpler on/off "manual of arms" and will stow the goggles lower over your head--but further forward than a dovetail mount. I prefer this profile as I believe that it's easier to get in and out of vehicles and work in tight quarters this way.

I have both the G24 dovetail and ANVIS ball-detent/adapter, and typically prefer to use the ANVIS, though the devices themselves (ABNV MOD-3 v. AVS-6) are quite different in my case. I would have loved to convert my MOD-3s to an ANVIS-style mount, but I am... significantly less than enthusiastic about the solution that ABNV came up with, almost enough to wish I'd gone with a Sentinel for that feature, though in my case, being able to separate them into two monoculars is still a useful one to have.  

Ops-Core Maritime will give you more "wiggle room" if you're using helmet mounted hearing protection/comms. I have both an Ops-Core FAST XP (high cut, not Maritime) and an Airframe, and I generally prefer to wear the Ops-Core because of the extra stability offered by the liner system. Liners can be installed in the Airframe, but the Ops-Cores come with them--get the Lux Liner versus the Occ-Dial if you have a choice, but both are more stable than the H-Nape usually supplied with the Airframe.

~Augee
View Quote
Augee, thanks for weighing in on this one. Interesting to hear from someone who rolls with the ANVIS system. Looks like I'll have to do some more research regarding the mount. I have to admit, for what I'd be using them for more wires and a battery pack does sound like a bit more of a hassle, but not enough for me to look past completely. I do really like the amount of adjustment on the G24 rig. My understanding is that the Sentinels come with the ANVIS mount, so I'll have to buy the dovetail. Maybe that's a good excuse to try both systems. But I could be wrong, maybe I could call up TNVC and convince them to ship it to me as a dovetail unit. I do like the units that can operate individually, but again, not a huge priority. Especially with the durability the Sentinels have.

The helmet issue seems to be the biggest fork in the road I face right now. It seems there isn't a real consensus on what's the best option. I definitely value comfort and quality over any ballistic rating. I won't be getting shot at, (at least I hope so) so I'm more looking for something stable for the NVDs, as well as being able to fit my huge melon under it. I wear a 7 3/4 hat, so my choices for any kind of headwear are always tricky.

I plan on mounting ear pro on ARC rails. I already have some peltors, and apparently switching out the headband is pretty easily doable. OR maybe I'll grab another set so I can use another set at the range, and then a dedicated pair for the helmet. Obviously the Airframe's price, and lack of a lead time are a big plus over the Ops-Core, and I've heard good things about the venting.

I appreciate the advice regarding the liner on the Ops-Core. Do you have any experience with the Team Wendy Epic Air liner for the airframe? I've heard great things about that combo and am curious how it stacks up to the Lux Liner.

I'm happy to take suggestions on other combos, though. As I said, I don't necessarily need ballistic protection. I'm just of the mindset that if I'm getting nice NVGs, I should get a nice helmet to mount em on. If I should be looking in another direction, anyone should feel free to chime in. Thanks for the help, everyone!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We ship both the dovetail and ANVIS mount with our Sentinels and MOD3's FYI. So when you bust your ball mount you can easily replace it with the Dove tail once your done learning the hardway.
View Quote
Ain't busted mine yet, and I've eaten shit HARD more than a few times.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Stop babying them. I'll wait.
View Quote
I have both mounts for mine, though right now the G24 is on the PVS14.  I'll run the ANVIS mount until it breaks and then switch over I guess.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Ran my sentinels over the weekend for about 6 hours and have a few observations, using the Surface ANVIS mount.  

• I like the remote battery pack, not quite sure why so it probably boils down to I spent almost 900 bucks on the mount and battery pack so by fuck I better I love it.
  • It's REALLY goddamn easy to smack the sentinels and get them out of alignment with the ball/detent and lose power.
  • Using only the remote battery in a TNVC mohawk is not enough weight to truly counter balance the sentinels.  
  • WP BNVD's are fucking incredible and such a massive jump over a green PVS14.
  • Not nearly the eye strain after taking them off.
  • Zero real adjustment of the BNVDs with the ANVIS.
  • I will more than likely go back to the G24 dovetail mount.
  • Anyone want a Surface ANVIS mount and battery pack?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I try to tell folks, unless youre on an aircrew dont bother with ANVIS stuff. Even then, the G24 and Dovetail are probably better for aviators anyway.
View Quote
Yep, the G24 is back on there now.  Such a better range of adjustment and just overall sturdiness.  Just placed yet another order with you all Sam, better counterweight and the new Zero G pad upgrade.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:06:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We ship both the dovetail and ANVIS mount with our Sentinels and MOD3's FYI. So when you bust your ball mount you can easily replace it with the Dove tail once your done learning the hardway.
Ain't busted mine yet, and I've eaten shit HARD more than a few times.
lol

Babying is not something I do with stuff, even my NODs. Knocked em out of alignment a couple times, but it's gonna take more than face smashing the dirt to break my SAM.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 1:47:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks like Sam's anti-ANVIS claims are getting backed up! :P Making my decision easy.

On a separate note: Anyone making a retention strap system for the airframes besides TW? Looking at the cam-fit with the zero G pads. Would I be better off with the Epic Air pads?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top