Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2017 1:01:12 PM EDT
For those that have both. If price is the same for both, which would you get?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I was under the impression that the photonis gen 2 tubes were the older xr5 production not the newer intens tubes. Is that not the case?
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have worked with both for some time now. Filmless wins out in extreme low light and has for quite some time and no videos show true low light performance.  Mil units whom have tested them and experience the same. Also the current L3 Filmless tubes are currently out with extraordinary high FOM's as well which are very hard to compete with.   What they (the Mil and special others) do like is out of band, high light above 940nm the tube is capable of but glass seeing out of band in most systems is a limiting factor. L3 and others are working on out of band parameters with other US tubes but I will not go into details. There is GREAT potential here for future systems with out of band parameters and I'm excited about this.

Edit, CJ7Hawk did a tech spec comparison with Standard Gen 3 awhile back you can see here that was well done. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/473938_4G-vs-Gen3---Specs-and-tactical-differences-.html Also here. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/460745_4G-vs-Gen3---S-N-around-28-1-both-tubes---.html
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that the photonis gen 2 tubes were the older xr5 production not the newer intens tubes. Is that not the case?
View Quote
I am under the impression that everything that Photonis makes is Gen 2. That is not to say that they are bad tubes. Gen 2 is a design format - not a quality tier. Anything built under the same basic structure will always be Gen 2, regardless of gain, resolution, etc.

Photonis wants to categorize their best tubes as something different from their lower tier tubes. This is understandable from a marketing perspective but a Gen 2 tube will always be a Gen 2 tube even it it outperforms a Gen 3 tube.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Got it. So put in a different way if I may. If I wanna get a tube today and potentially upgrade to thermal down the road what would be thre one that'll keep the value the best?
Quoted:
I am under the impression that everything that Photonis makes is Gen 2. That is not to say that they are bad tubes. Gen 2 is a design format - not a quality tier. Anything built under the same basic structure will always be Gen 2, regardless of gain, resolution, etc.

Photonis wants to categorize their best tubes as something different from their lower tier tubes. This is understandable from a marketing perspective but a Gen 2 tube will always be a Gen 2 tube even it it outperforms a Gen 3 tube.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#7]
probably filmless
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone used both and compare?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Just from watching videos and reading I see the only advantage for a common user being how INTENS handles (extremely) high light very nicely.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Got it. So put in a different way if I may. If I wanna get a tube today and potentially upgrade to thermal down the road what would be thre one that'll keep the value the best?
View Quote
This is just an opinion (but you will find it's a common opinion amongst night hunters): You don't "upgrade" from NV to thermal.  You keep the NV for navigation purposes, and then either (1) put a thermal scope on your weapon, or (2) LAM the weapon and buy a thermal monocular for 500+ yard target detection.  Or, in ARFCOM fashion, you do both (1) and (2).
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol totally noob of me Vic!

Switching topic a little - is there a variable scope that'll work the best with a white phosphor tube? I know it's not ideal but my budget limits me :)
Quoted:

I already commented to that above, you even cut and pasted what I stated.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, but using them mounted has risks.  Best to use IR laser.  I believe the Accupower has nv levels.  Burris XTR II does also.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyway to install a 3x or 5x a focal magnifier into the tube? Is there a way to maybe swivel it in and out of place as needed?
Quoted:
Yes, but using them mounted has risks.  Best to use IR laser.  I believe the Accupower has nv levels.  Burris XTR II does also.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is just an opinion (but you will find it's a common opinion amongst night hunters): You don't "upgrade" from NV to thermal.  You keep the NV for navigation purposes, and then either (1) put a thermal scope on your weapon, or (2) LAM the weapon and buy a thermal monocular for 500+ yard target detection.  Or, in ARFCOM fashion, you do both (1) and (2).
View Quote
He humbly calls it "opinion". Navigation with thermal is suicide. Keep I2 and add Thermal Imaging as the budget permits.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Glockman named the older XR5 tubes. I had one and while they are decent tubes and very crisp/clear, my old omni 4 gen 3 tubes beat it hands down. You will need IR light for dark woods and no moon conditions with the XR5 tube. For the money the XR5 cost just go with gen 3, you will be happier in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey Caver - good catch. I'm comparing photonis 4G (the newer tube) though and not the XR5. There's a deal on it that I'm just having a hard time to beat. I know that l3 makes great tubes too but tit seems that the consensus is that for higher light environments the 4G is easier on the eyes. I will be primarily hunting with a dbal d2 so I figure that will work as a set up. TNVC's service is hands down top notch though - I don't doubt that one bit.
Quoted:
Glockman named the older XR5 tubes. I had one and while they are decent tubes and very crisp/clear, my old omni 4 gen 3 tubes beat it hands down. You will need IR light for dark woods and no moon conditions with the XR5 tube. For the money the XR5 cost just go with gen 3, you will be happier in the long run.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I guess I don't quite understand your point.

I'm not sure I'd call the "intens" photocathode a gen2 given its much much wider spectral response... And the only real difference in "design format" between G2 and 3 is the PC, and ion barrier film (which of course g3 filmless tubes don't have).
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here is the high light comparison. Correction on the high light res it's 55 not 57. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ2zZhiWdds
View Quote
Hi Rich,

Curious, what is your setup for these side by sides?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm not sure I'd call the "intens" photocathode a gen2 given its much much wider spectral response... And the only real difference in "design format" between G2 and 3 is the PC, and ion barrier film (which of course g3 filmless tubes don't have).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To the best of my knowledge, all of the designations for Generations of tube architecture are based on US Government involvement within the NV Industry. I would have to look at the architecture requirements for the different Generation tubes again to refresh my memory as to the specifics but, to the best of my knowledge, what Photonis calls Gen 4 is built on Gen 2 designs with enhancements that yield better performance. If Spectral Response for the Gen 2 tubes is enhanced with features that are not inherently Gen 3 in nature then the tube would still be regarded by many as Gen 2.

I do not have a dog in this fight and, quite frankly, I am ready for a tube evaluation system that is not US centric that allows for more reasoned comparisons of tubes manufactured worldwide. Until recently, the US was THE main player on the field so it was workable for us to lean on the US Gov designations because there was little deviation in products of foreign origin. The improvements of foreign products requires some enhanced terminology to properly describe it. I never implied that the better Gen 2 (or Gen 4 or whatever it is called) stuff was not highly capable.

I hope this clarifies my thoughts. If I am all wet then I am glad to listen to a reasoned approach as to how I am wrong.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Based on those videos, the low light performance difference is definitely there, but not as huge as I would have guessed.  That being said, anyone who has done photography or video through I^2 knows it is difficult and never captures the true scene detail adequately.  That 4G looks pretty nice, but I will be sticking w/ my L3 filmless WP <--- (typed with said WP on my head)
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Ended up pulling the trigger on Intens. The discount applied made it basically the same price as an L3. Will let you know how it is, albeit with my untrained and unsophisticated eyes :)
Quoted:
Based on those videos, the low light performance difference is definitely there, but not as huge as I would have guessed.  That being said, anyone who has done photography or video through I^2 knows it is difficult and never captures the true scene detail adequately.  That 4G looks pretty nice, but I will be sticking w/ my L3 filmless WP <--- (typed with said WP on my head)
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:38:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ended up pulling the trigger on Intens. The discount applied made it basically the same price as an L3. Will let you know how it is, albeit with my untrained and unsophisticated eyes :)
View Quote
Please do.
Do you have a L3 tube to compare it to?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't have a dog in this fight either, but it seems like this company is making pretty outlandish claims of performance.  When I see this kind of marketing, I usually walk away.  They may be legit.  They may not.  You are taking a big risk to find that out.  

Based on what I've seen and read here, I would go with the L3.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a PVS14 Gen2+ Autogated 10K+ tube life, but the tube itself has no markings. According to the MFG it a USA made MX11769 style tube, but there is no on the body it self. on the face there are some numbers that where XXXXXX out. A well respected member here told me it may be a  Photoins tube. Is it possible that Photoins sold tubes that where unmarked? Thanks

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Unfortunately not - lol can't afford both toys :( maybe I can buy the FLIR boson when it's finally released.

If anyone knows who carries the l3 WP in the Houston area let me know!
Quoted:

Please do.
Do you have a L3 tube to compare it to?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Good point - but the deal I got (including Wilcox equipment and Wendy helmet) pretty much put the tube at ~3k. Comes with a spec sheet as well so I thought the risk rewards was worth it :)
Quoted:
I don't have a dog in this fight either, but it seems like this company is making pretty outlandish claims of performance.  When I see this kind of marketing, I usually walk away.  They may be legit.  They may not.  You are taking a big risk to find that out.  

Based on what I've seen and read here, I would go with the L3.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Good deal, good tube.  I would be interested in your specs.  Sure many would too..
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#33]
FOM: 2018
Luminance gain: 13700
Resolution: 69
EBI: 0.17
SNR: 29.2
Halo: 0.80

Probably not the best tube but still decent

Quoted:
Good deal, good tube.  I would be interested in your specs.  Sure many would too..
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
To the best of my knowledge, all of the designations for Generations of tube architecture are based on US Government involvement within the NV Industry. I would have to look at the architecture requirements for the different Generation tubes again to refresh my memory as to the specifics but, to the best of my knowledge, what Photonis calls Gen 4 is built on Gen 2 designs with enhancements that yield better performance. If Spectral Response for the Gen 2 tubes is enhanced with features that are not inherently Gen 3 in nature then the tube would still be regarded by many as Gen 2.

I do not have a dog in this fight and, quite frankly, I am ready for a tube evaluation system that is not US centric that allows for more reasoned comparisons of tubes manufactured worldwide. Until recently, the US was THE main player on the field so it was workable for us to lean on the US Gov designations because there was little deviation in products of foreign origin. The improvements of foreign products requires some enhanced terminology to properly describe it. I never implied that the better Gen 2 (or Gen 4 or whatever it is called) stuff was not highly capable.

I hope this clarifies my thoughts. If I am all wet then I am glad to listen to a reasoned approach as to how I am wrong.
View Quote
The whole "Generation" thing is mostly overblown and marketing was involved back in the day to certain point as well as technology. It also vastly oversimplifies the technologies, plus it gives the impression one is better or more advanced than the other, when its quite simply not true today.

Gen2 used to mean an S20 or S25 photochode when it was introdocued, then in the 80's that turned into various versions of the S25extended red chemistry, and then in the late 80's and 90's even more advanced PC's were introduced by photonis and others.

Gen3 mean Gallium arsenide PC's in the early 80's along with the ion barrier films that were required at the time to keep the MCP from getting poisoned... And continually improving GA PC's through the 90's, you can basically look at each succeeding omni generation that the PC numbers get better (generally).

Gen4 was the holy grail for a while since it allowed you to have all the electrons off the GA, PC without a film eating up the electrons.  

Point is all of these technologies have been evolving for 40 years and still are. So I think its generally dumb to put some oversimplified G1/2/3/4/5 label on it.

The new intens is at a guess some new type of PC chemistry to give it that amazingly wide spectral response, it certainly isn't a S25 photocahode, It probably isn't some GA based PC either. So its different... The main advantage it has is that its bandwidth is so huge it can take advantage of a huge part of the spectrum where traditional Gen2 and 3 PC's don't.

Anyhow, I mainly laugh at people that assure me one "tech" is better than the other, because the answer is almost always "it depends".
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have a PVS14 Gen2+ Autogated 10K+ tube life, but the tube itself has no markings. According to the MFG it a USA made MX11769 style tube, but there is no on the body it self. on the face there are some numbers that where XXXXXX out. A well respected member here told me it may be a  Photoins tube. Is it possible that Photoins sold tubes that where unmarked? Thanks
http://i.imgur.com/yRca4Bg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Oa5xQhe.jpg
View Quote
Not sure why you replied to my previous post, perhaps you thought I could answer your question. As for your tube I have no idea, it could be gen2 or 3 both are made the in MX11769 format, if there are no other identifiying marks I'm afraid I can't be more help. But it certainly could be Photonis.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd love to put my TNV L3 unfilmed WP up against that as a friendly comparison.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wait, again 0.8 halo? Are these the "weapons grade" "4G" where 4G states max 0.7mm halo. The luminance gain seemed low on those 0.8mm ones, you got a good one I guess.

Edit: I am not sure if Photonis has fiddled with their 4G spec, but I vividly remember it stating halo no larger than 0.7mm. Now their website says 4G max is 0.9, and then that INTENS tubes are max 0.7. So go figure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Ah sorry Vic didn't realize there was that much background to Team Wendy - I'll probably sell it off anyways and get a ballistic
Quoted:

Worked out then because we do NOT offer or sell Team Wendy any more for good reason. We never forget Benghazi, the lies, AWB ban speeches all from Hillary Clinton nor from anyone who supports or allows her to use their factories and CEO's praising her and conducting AWB speeches.

Rant off, and my company can lose thousands in sales but we will not succomb to the almigjty dollar and stand up for what is right. Good luck with your purchase.

Vic DiCosola
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, I wish you were in FL!  I would love to see one of these in the wild and compare my L3 WP to it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not sure why you replied to my previous post, perhaps you thought I could answer your question. As for your tube I have no idea, it could be gen2 or 3 both are made the in MX11769 format, if there are no other identifiying marks I'm afraid I can't be more help. But it certainly could be Photonis.
View Quote
It's the closet thing I read that would get your attention. I really appreciate the reply since it seems you have the most knowledge about Photonis.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Worked out then because we do NOT offer or sell Team Wendy any more for good reason. We never forget Benghazi, the lies, AWB ban speeches all from Hillary Clinton nor from anyone who supports or allows her to use their factories and CEO's praising her and conducting AWB speeches.

Rant off, and my company can lose thousands in sales but we will not succomb to the almigjty dollar and stand up for what is right. Good luck with your purchase.

Vic DiCosola
View Quote
I absolutely understand not giving the company more money. Fk them. But why get on the guy for getting a used one?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks!! Yeah sorry if I caused too much consternation. I had a limited budget after having to pay some unexpected bills and to get an entire set up under what I could afford it's the best I could do.
Quoted:

I absolutely understand not giving the company more money. Fk them. But why get on the guy for getting a used one?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Amen to that! Will be ridding of the Team Wendy as soon as I get it! Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I can restock up to get a thermal soon to perfect the hunt :)
Quoted:
Thanks!! Yeah sorry if I caused too much consternation. I had a limited budget after having to pay some unexpected bills and to get an entire set up under what I could afford it's the best I could do.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's the closet thing I read that would get your attention. I really appreciate the reply since it seems you have the most knowledge about Photonis.
View Quote
Well, I only have one photonis tube, but I do have a ton of other gen2 and 3 gear. It does give one perspective. Maybe hit up Chosos or CJ7 they probably know more than me on these tubes in the US.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

iPhone 6s and iPhone SE w/ Night Optics PVS-14 adapters mounted on a Manfrotto fluid head and friction arm.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4220/34873786025_932033ce74_c.jpg
View Quote
Very nice.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well, I only have one photonis tube, but I do have a ton of other gen2 and 3 gear. It does give one perspective. Maybe hit up Chosos or CJ7 they probably know more than me on these tubes in the US.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Cj7 knows much more than i do about photonis. I have only been fortunate enough to own various photonis tubes, and none were intens tubes.

I think you will be very happy with the tube. I am in a similar situation. I need a set of tubes to fill my sentinel housing, but i dont want to pay that price for the photonis intens when i can get filmless cheaper.

Rich is probably the best person to ask having them both side by side. Rich, when you hunt what is your goto set, or are you rocking filmless for hunting and photonis for driving?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top