Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2017 6:26:13 PM EDT
I'm going to paint my FDE sentinels with some FDE Krylon.

Anything I need to know?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm going to paint my FDE sentinels with some FDE Krylon.

Anything I need to know?
View Quote
Protect the lenses.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Protect the lenses.
View Quote
Lol, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
tape the threads up.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
When I feel the need to do something like this I tend to tape the controls, etc. so the moving parts don't get painted. Sometimes the paint stays tacky for a while and I don't like getting it on my fingers. Sometimes it chips, and it's an optical device, so the chips get on the lenses. The small bits and pieces will give you some nice "chocolate chip" contrast.

EDIT: I think Krylon benefits from some UV exposure for curing so I would let it get some sunlight.

I would like to add my opinion to the mix here. If the housing manufacturers just picked a neutral color for the housings then this would really be a non-issue. Medium grey, medium brown or medium green would go a long way towards camouflaging the unit rather than stark black.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lol, thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Protect the lenses.
Lol, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Right or left?

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Right or left?

http://i.imgur.com/Tj443nO.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah man if you're seriously going to do this, I'd go with at least a Duracoat finish.  Rustoleum on BNVD?  Man that just ain't right.  

OK under anything you should know.  In case you're really serious.  Put cotton balls over the lenses.  Mask off with good masking tape.  Cover data plate, small windows (if you got them), and possibly dove tail interface.

Wipe it down LIGHTLY with a quick flashing solvent, such as laquer thinner, or brake parts cleaner.  A little on a lint free rag to remove all grease n dirt.  Then scuff it up with green scotch brite.  Give the paint some tooth to stick to.

Mount the thing to something you can spray it on.  Ideally it is suspended in the air so you can spray around it.  A piece of wire from the garage ceiling (I use my heavy bag chain), with a pipe cleaner on the end to wrap around a convenient spot (perhaps the dove tail interface).

Shake the shit out of the can.  Test spray on some scrap cardboard.  Establish what distance you need to be at.  Too close it will sheen and possibly run.  Too far and it will orange peel or dust coat.  (I like the right one btw.)  

Spray in light passes, hitting it from multiple angles, turning work as you go.  Stop when it sheens up and let it flash off.  Let this first coat dry.  Come back and inspect (in broad daylight is best).  Lightly touch up as required.  Lightly sand with scotchbrite to even out coating, especially if you have any shiny build up.  Lightly touch up if required.  Let this set for at least 24 hrs.  48 is even better.  As an option finish with a clear flat coat.  Remove masking and cotton.  Re-clean lenses.  If you can, don't fuck with it for a week.  Or if you're like the rest of us, go head and re-assemble covers on it, snap into mount and check it out on your helmet.  

Man I hope this wasn't a big send up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I did mine not too long ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the input gents.

I'm gonna get 'em painted tonight or tomorrow, then gonna let 'em sit for a week to fully dry/cure.

Going to use Rustoleum FDE, and probably just touch it up when/if it needs it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#12]
In to see the results
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In to see the results
View Quote
In due time. I practiced on a Glock first. It came out pretty nice. The gold and sliver sparkles really bring out the curves.

But seriously, I'm going to do it next week, unfortunately I couldn't seem to make time over the weekend.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In due time. I practiced on a Glock first. It came out pretty nice. The gold and sliver sparkles really bring out the curves.

But seriously, I'm going to do it next week, unfortunately I couldn't seem to make time over the weekend.
View Quote
Be sure to add some bling to it. The ladies love that stuff.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
At the bare minimum i'd use Brownell's Alumahyde or some other type of paint that will resist the lubricants once it cures.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
At the bare minimum i'd use Brownell's Alumahyde or some other type of paint that will resist the lubricants once it cures.
View Quote
What oil do I use on my mx10160 tubes?

Where do I oil them?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Krylon is a great choice. I am sure it will turn out great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top