Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2017 3:50:30 PM EDT
Can we compile a list of pistol-mountable NV-compatible reflex sights or MRDS in this thread?  I've been searching ARF and elsewhere, and the results are ambiguous.  Some companies clearly advertise their products as being NV-compatible; others don't but end-users report good results.  

Here is what I've found.  I will edit this original post to add or subtract based on feedback.

1. *Trijicon RMR RM-06 ~$600
2.   Insight/EOTech MRDS ~$450
3.   Burris FF3 ~$200
4. *Docter Optic Sight III ~$375
5. *Trijicon RMR RM07 ~$600
6.   C-More STS ~$344 (possibly discontinued)
7.  *SigSauer ROMEO1 Miniature Reflex Sight ~$400
8.  Vortex Viper ~$180

*Advertises NV-compatibility
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, my use-case is a 40-year-old Ruger Mark II, so what I'm really after is a budget-friendly option.  Not tryna drop Trij money on a $250 rat-popper.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
If you fixed mount an MNVD behind a "non-NV compatible" sight then you'll burn the tube. If you stay helmet mounted and use low power with a "non-NV compatible" sight then it works pretty well without burning the tube. I would toss an economy RDS on there and be done with it.

If you run an aperture then Tritium sights work pretty well also.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you fixed mount an MNVD behind a "non-NV compatible" sight then you'll burn the tube.
View Quote
As stated at the beginning, this thread is handgun-specific.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As stated at the beginning, this thread is handgun-specific.
View Quote
My point is that I have not seen tube burn when the RDS was set to low and the MNVD was not fixed, even if the RDS was "non-NV compatible". I stand by that. Further, if there is any scorch, then you will notice the scorch lines and you can remediate before the damage is permanent. That having been said, I am not a big fan of the RDS on a traditional handgun - I prefer Tritium sights or a laser.

If you insist on using an RDS then I suggest you focus on the ergonomics and worry less about the dot. Most of the good dots work for me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My point is that I have not seen tube burn when the RDS was set to low and the MNVD was not fixed, even if the RDS was "non-NV compatible". I stand by that. Further, if there is any scorch, then you will notice the scorch lines and you can remediate before the damage is permanent. That having been said, I am not a big fan of the RDS on a traditional handgun - I prefer Tritium sights or a laser.

If you insist on using an RDS then I suggest you focus on the ergonomics and worry less about the dot. Most of the good dots work for me.
View Quote
I don't really want to tangentially turn this thread into focusing on my specific uses.  It was, and is, intended to be a list of pistol reflex sights and MRDS that work well with NVGs.

Tube burn is not the sole problem with non-NV-compatible sights, right? Dot bloom needs to be managed via minimally-adjustable brightness settings.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Trijicon RM09 is also NV compatible.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#7]
My RM08G's work great, as well.

John
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#9]
While not necessarily a direct answer to your question, whether an optic is "NV compatible" often has to do with the amount of ambient light and incidental illumination.  

In more brightly lit areas (all things being relative), e.g., full moon, clear sky, or urban areas, many more optics are "NV compatible," including ones that are not necessarily advertised as NV compatible, and/or ones that auto-adjust to ambient lighting conditions and are faintly visible without NVDs.  

In much darker areas, like, say, little gullies in the mountains of West Virginia... any visible reticule will be too bright to use with NVDs, and even with dual tube devices, you will have difficulty acquiring targets past the bloom, and you may as well forget it with a single tube device.  

Ultimately what I've found is that a lot of sights advertised as "NV compatible" only really fit into the first category I've described above--not into the second.  Same with users reporting that "non-NV" sights work with NV.  

How significant this ends up being to you will often depend on what you intend to do with the weapon/optic combination.  In the case of pistols, for me, a pistol is primarily a defensive tool, that especially at night, is expected to be used at close ranges in an emergency scenario, when all the stealth that my NV was supposed to afford me has failed me.  At which point if I'm drawing the pistol, someone's probably got lights on somewhere, I may be activating white lights, even while I "work through" the NODs, or the target is close enough and moving so the bloom is less of an issue or... etc.  If I were intending to use my pistol in more of a "covert" role under NODs, at this point, I'd probably be using the Glock with the 6SM--and the "true" NV compatible T1.  

I know that the above may apply less to the case of a "rat popper," but something to consider vis-a-vis "NV compatible" optics versus "non-NV compatible."  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Vortex Viper Red Dot is NV compatible and $230ish. 
View Quote
Thanks.  How about the Venom or the Razor?  And 6MOA seems large on the Viper, but it's working for you?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#11]
From TwangnBang via fb: Vortex Optics announced a $50 price drop on their Viper Red Dot yesterday morning, but it took a bit for them to adjust the price on Amazon. Now only $179 with free shipping (orig. $229).
Click here--> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S2P2LXO?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Picked up the Viper on sale at Amazon for $180.  That was about the perfect price I wanted for something that's going to live on a 22LR.  So far it's working very nicely, including at night.  I took a corn thief out of an oak tree at about 12 yards with no trouble.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you would be better off putting an IR laser on your handgun to use with your NV helmet setup. I know Crimson Trace makes some laser grips with IR lasers. Or if you have a rail you could get an IR light/laser module. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think you would be better off putting an IR laser on your handgun to use with your NV helmet setup. I know Crimson Trace makes some laser grips with IR lasers. Or if you have a rail you could get an IR light/laser module. 
View Quote
That would be my suggestion as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have all of the above... They are nice, but when there is nowhere to mount a laser like on the 22/45 lite then a NV compatible sight is the only option short of adding rails to the gun. They both work, but yes an IR laser is a better solution if the gun and application allow. 
View Quote
Use this and mount your reflex optic of choice on top of it...

http://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/lasers/lasermax-uni-ir-class-1-laser/?v=f24485ae434a
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am looking for something to put on a Ruger MK4 22/45 and that looks like the ticket!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I am looking for something to put on a Ruger MK4 22/45 and that looks like the ticket!
Would be perfect for that, IMO.  I had to use a $50 Burris FF dovetail mount but you will be able to attach directly to your 22/45 top rail.

Quoted:
I have the Viper on my Mark II above and a Crimson Trace CMR-201 IR laser on my RUger SR22.  I had to modify the CMR-201 with a glued-on $20 filter from TNVC to prevent the beam from blooming too much at pistol distances.  It's an ugly fix and probably not permanent.  The CMR-201 is only $98 right now though, so that's pretty cool.  The Viper works day and night, while the CT does not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top