BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd assume all three buttons do the same function.  There's a visible over ride port on the back which should fire the white light and visible laser regardless of the dial setting.

I'm just planning on running a surefire sr07 on top and use the side buttons to fire the IR functions. If I upgrade from the a3 and surefire Scout.
View Quote
For a guy that really hates tape switches, I'd REALLY prefer one of the fire buttons perform the same function as the visible override.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Can someone who understands LAMs more than I do compare the DBAL-A4 to the ATPIAL-C?
View Quote
ATPIAL-C has slaved IR/Vis Lasers (Vis is red) and IR Illum (Laser based)
A4 has the slaved IR/Vis lasers (Vis is green) and also adds white light (500 lumens) and 2 different IR Illum settings (Both LED based, flood and spot).

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:00:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Eagerly awaiting the TAPS for the A3/A4 and light combo. I even bought the tail cap for my Scout.

What are the advantages of the A4 over the A3?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#5]
A4 has LED illuminator for IR.... that could be a plus or minus depending on usage and if they truly "Fixed" the big red glow issue the D2 has. Also has a long range IR illuminator and short range flood LED apparently.

A4 also have intergrated 500 lumen white light.  IE intergrated all in one. Its lighter than a separate light and A3 apparently.

Going to really depend for me how well the white light works. I run a lot of white light at work (LE).

Also another nice feature is that the batteries can be changed from the side and not from the front like the A3 does, which was a pain for back up iron sights and leaving the laser all the way mounted.

I just hope they fixed the battery drain nonsense. I was told by steiner that is was "normal" on my A3. In reality its shitty electronics engineering. There is no reason for electricity to be running through the circuit board on a constant basis as there is not memory settings required to be maintained.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Accessory question, are you guys (TNVC) working with Telluric Group for some A4 laser zero targets?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Accessory question, are you guys (TNVC) working with Telluric Group for some A4 laser zero targets?
View Quote
TNVC would. have to confirm, but I would think the A3 ones would work fine as the lasers look to be in the same spots across their entire lines.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

TNVC would. have to confirm, but I would think the A3 ones would work fine as the lasers look to be in the same spots across their entire lines.
View Quote
Ah, excellent. I was thinking that it looked that way, but hard to tell from the pictures. At least to my old eyes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A4 has LED illuminator for IR.... that could be a plus or minus depending on usage and if they truly "Fixed" the big red glow issue the D2 has. Also has a long range IR illuminator and short range flood LED apparently.

A4 also have intergrated 500 lumen white light.  IE intergrated all in one. Its lighter than a separate light and A3 apparently.

Going to really depend for me how well the white light works. I run a lot of white light at work (LE).

Also another nice feature is that the batteries can be changed from the side and not from the front like the A3 does, which was a pain for back up iron sights and leaving the laser all the way mounted.

I just hope they fixed the battery drain nonsense. I was told by steiner that is was "normal" on my A3. In reality its shitty electronics engineering. There is no reason for electricity to be running through the circuit board on a constant basis as there is not memory settings required to be maintained.
View Quote
I would have the same concerns about the white light; how well its going to work compared to a Scout. I suspect its a little hopeful to think its going to perform THAT good. I think in a platform in which space is at an absolute premium, like in a sub gun or some SBRs, having a combined solution and the space savings it offers would be important. Of course, you'd still have to add a tape switch to make use of the vis override, which IMO is a fail. There are 3 fire buttons, and they all do the exact same thing. I don't know about that one...
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would have the same concerns about the white light; how well its going to work compared to a Scout. I suspect its a little hopeful to think its going to perform THAT good. I think in a platform in which space is at an absolute premium, like in a sub gun or some SBRs, having a combined solution and the space savings it offers would be important. Of course, you'd still have to add a tape switch to make use of the vis override, which IMO is a fail. There are 3 fire buttons, and they all do the exact same thing. I don't know about that one...
View Quote
I have to say, I do agree with that. Why not have one of those buttons be an on-board vis override? If you had a very compact weapon, you would be strapped for space to run this with a dual button switch.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Now this thing is exciting! All the goodies plus a white light?!!  And not WAY overpriced like that other thing.

I'll be all over this when it drops. All over it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Everytime I'm all jazzed up about some new thing on the market I remember every cell phone I've ever owned. Ever.

Sometimes its not worth it to be an early adopter. Not at a NV price point for sure.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
With 500 leumens will heat output that close to the lasers mess with them in any way?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#16]
The white light is on the opposite side from the lasers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I noticed the size of the heat sinks and thought they would go big but the next closest product is Wilcox and wasn't it 120.  4 times the output is great.  When will we see some video?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#19]
TNVC, do you know if they are going to offer their new LED tech in a standalone illuminator? A next gen Battlelight if you will.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I noticed the size of the heat sinks and thought they would go big but the next closest product is Wilcox and wasn't it 120.  4 times the output is great.  When will we see some video?
View Quote
Didn't Wilcox offer a version with a 300 lumen head?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Are you talking about the RAPTAR? It uses a Surefire head. So can't you just swap the head for whichever version you want? I forget if it was a Scout head, 6P, or whichever specific one it was.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Will we see an updated A3 with the new illuminators and w/o the white light?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We are told the A4 is still slated for Sept. release. More info to come.
View Quote
Excited to see it reviewed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Finally. I'll start saving my pennies.

As long as I can instantly go from white light to ir laser/illuminator with two different buttons (one for white light one for IR) I'll be all over this.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a new A4 unit I will be testing at the "Friends of Pat Rogers" event this weekend in Ohio. I REALLY like what I see thus far!
View Quote
Real curious to know how the LED IR illumination is out the front.  How visible it is to the naked eye.  One of the main reasons I dumped my D2.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a new A4 unit I will be testing at the "Friends of Pat Rogers" event this weekend in Ohio. I REALLY like what I see thus far!
View Quote
That is right down the road from me.  Is that open to the public or you gotta have an in?

Edit:
NM found it, I missed the cuttoff date.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I got 1K saved up already. Which functions do what activation buttons control?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
While I cannot discuss (due to NDA's) all the tech functions just yet, let's just say most of everyone's concerns have been covered from the first iteration, and then some....And no it's not that big, just looks it do the profile pic.

More to come....

1st Iteration
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/A4F_zpsn1mv1beu.jpg

To this!
http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19096/DBAL_A4-289219.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm licking my chops.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I love how its an all in one unit and is a welcome adition to the steiner line.
I watch the youtube video from the shot show. The only down side is it is much larger than the A3.
i was very tempted due to my ocd to get the a4 so i would never need another device, but since i only needed a visible laser i opted for the much smaller otal-a. The a4 would have been rediculiously bulky on my mp5. Down the road if i need ir i ill get a 2nd device. It just made more sense to get what i need rather than more than i need incase somedayday i need it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I love how its an all in one unit and is a welcome adition to the steiner line.
I watch the youtube video from the shot show. The only down side is it is much larger than the A3.
i was very tempted due to my ocd to get the a4 so i would never need another device, but since i only needed a visible laser i opted for the much smaller otal-a. The a4 would have been rediculiously bulky on my mp5. Down the road if i need ir i ill get a 2nd device. It just made more sense to get what i need rather than more than i need incase somedayday i need it.
View Quote
Totally get it for your case. I do wish these were smaller for those of us with 10.5's but I already have a d2 and I'm guessing this is around the same size plus I can lose my light so I'm excited.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#36]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OZKa1NfBKSs
Watch the size difference at 2 min...also read the 1 comment on the video.

Im sure youll save weight AND LIKE the A4.... but it is alot bigger than the a3.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OZKa1NfBKSs
Watch the size difference at 2 min...also read the 1 comment on the video.

Im sure youll save weight AND LIKE the A4.... but it is alot bigger than the a3.
View Quote
Thank you for the link

Ahhhhahahahahahaha

"As you can see these units are about the same size"

Ahhhhahahagahaha

Another company tgst just doesn't get it. Customers have eyeballs. We aren't stupid. The a4 looked like a shoebox and the a3looked like a pack of cigarettes.

Cmon. Just be fucking honest. Just like the MAWL. Awesome with one huge fuck up, the price. Why do these guys make an awesome product but find a way to introduce one huge fuck up?  Irritating.

I'm used to the d2 so whatever. I'm still excited. As long as I can have it so one button activates the ir laser and illuminator at the same time and another button activates the white light and I don't have to move the dial I'll be in on one. Even if the unit doesn't allow it but something like TAPS Pro does I can live with that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thank you for the link

Ahhhhahahahahahaha

"As you can see these units are about the same size"

Ahhhhahahagahaha

Another company tgst just doesn't get it. Customers have eyeballs. We aren't stupid. The a4 looked like a shoebox and the a3looked like a pack of cigarettes.

Cmon. Just be fucking honest. Just like the MAWL. Awesome with one huge fuck up, the price. Why do these guys make an awesome product but find a way to introduce one huge fuck up?  Irritating.

I'm used to the d2 so whatever. I'm still excited. As long as I can have it so one button activates the ir laser and illuminator at the same time and another button activates the white light and I don't have to move the dial I'll be in on one. Even if the unit doesn't allow it but something like TAPS Pro does I can live with that.
View Quote
I was told that this new a4 has a new switching system that combines all functions into a single button for simplicity. Sort of like a otal, just all on or all off. I suppose you can just use your hand to cover the white light and vis laser or vise versa when you want to use light, cover the ir.

Course that is only what I was told, we will have to wait out the NDA's.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:18:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I was told that this new a4 has a new switching system that combines all functions into a single button for simplicity. Sort of like a otal, just all on or all off. I suppose you can just use your hand to cover the white light and vis laser or vise versa when you want to use light, cover the ir.

View Quote
Hmmmm. That sorta blows. Might stop me from buying it. As usual company finding a way to blow a potentially great product.

I mean how hard is it. It should be obvious why it would be beneficial to have a button for white and a button for ir stuff.

When you need white light you need it instantly.  Bleh.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I dont have one but read a bit about them.i believe they are still independently control but can be combine of you want.
I dont have a link and could be wrong though.

Im sure the a4 had to work properly, or they would have made it smaller.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#41]
This is almost as bad as that time they tried doing the recoil activated DBALs. The thought was to eliminate the pressure switch entirely, activating the laser with the trigger. Fire to turn it on, again to turn it off. No switches to worry about. There was something the manual about how since you should be double tapping anyways, the laser won't turn off mid fire fight.

Gotta give them credit for trying to push the envelope tho.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would assume that's not right. That would be the worst idea ever. When you need an IR light and laser, the last thing you want is a bright green laser and a white light spotlight at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
While I cannot discuss (due to NDA's) all the tech functions just yet, let's just say most of everyone's concerns have been covered from the first iteration, and then some....And no it's not that big, just looks it do the profile pic.

More to come....
View Quote
Would that include the switching?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Did anyone get a look at one at Alliance this weekend?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#45]
They prob still traveling.  I would have loved to go but didnt know about it until it was way too late.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Had it with me the whole weekend.  

Far tree line approx 400 yards away. The high setting of the IR Lum kicks some serious butt with minimal vis emitter signature. The 90deg port floods up an entire room for room clearing aspects. More to come.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19096/DBL-A4_hi_hi-293511.jpg
View Quote
Having used NVG's at that exact location I will say that is impressive.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#48]
400 yards, nice defined beam.   Looks very impressive.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Had it with me the whole weekend.  

Far tree line approx 400 yards away. The high setting of the IR Lum kicks some serious butt with minimal vis emitter signature. The 90deg port floods up an entire room for room clearing aspects. More to come.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19096/DBL-A4_hi_hi-293511.jpg
View Quote
.....Damn.  Hopefully the switches don't suck, because I'm impressed with that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#50]
opinion compared to the MAWL?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top