Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2017 1:59:30 PM EDT
I did a short review of my PVS-30 a while back and I had intentions of keeping info on this unit flowing through that thread, but my dad had a stroke and that has eat up all my range time since Jan. I'm just now getting a day to go shoot. This is me shooting my LMT at 100 yards using the above optics. This is the first time I have played with the GoPro using NODs and I am still not happy with the video quality vs day images, but it is still pretty cool.

Hope you enjoy.

vs day scope at 400 yards....

Torrey Pines Logic Eagle Eye and S&B Short Dot
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing, how was the POI change w/ the PVS-30 on board?  It almost sounded like you could hear the autogating kick up a notch when the haze from the shot partially obscured the target.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing, how was the POI change w/ the PVS-30 on board?  It almost sounded like you could hear the autogating kick up a notch when the haze from the shot partially obscured the target.
View Quote
I had to run the LA-5 illuminator on high to get enough light for the gopro to have any decent image, along with adjusting the gain on the 30. It resulted in a much brighter image through the scope than I ever shoot it at. I'm waiting on a 30mm Spuhr mount for the Short Dot as it is currently in a Leupold Mk4 mount, which leaves it sitting a little lower than centerline with the 30. The Spuhr will put it dead center like my Ultra Short. I usually have a 3-20 Ultra Short on that rifle (LMT MRPSC20 w/SF212).

This was the first time I got to check for any shift. I tried both scopes. With the Ultra Short in a 1.5" tall Spuhr SP-4002 there was little to no shift at 400 yards. I was extremely pleased. With the Short Dot in the mismatched Mk4 unimount there was a bit of shift, about an inch.

A note on the TPL Eagle Eye. It will not work on the illuminated Ultra Short scopes. I make TPL aware of this and I am currently making an adaptor so I can mount it directly to the top of the Spuhr mount similar to how a Simrad sits but on the rear. TPL has been extremely helpful in helping me make this work along with Quantico Tactical (in special ordering me a Spuhr scope ring top cap from Sweden). I'll post pics when I get it finished.

Next time I'll take a fan to blow away the smoke from shot to shot. I have several more videos that I'll post up in the next day.

That said, I still love the hell out of the KAC PVS-30. Even more since I picked up a pair of LA/5's. The illuminator on those units is perfect for the 30.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]

My rig
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful!  I want one of those PVS-30s but I just can't convince myself that I really need one.  Seeing your pictures and input on this device is making me want one even more.  It might seem like a silly question, but will a front MBUS (plastic gen 2) clear the underside of the PVS-30 objective assembly OR ocular assembly?  When I looked hard at it last month, it appeared that the objective assembly would not have sufficient clearance but the ocular lens MIGHT.  I really like my clip-on thermal, but something like this would obviously provide much better fine detail.  I look forward to any additional pics or video you share!
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll check and see tonight. I don't think a top mounted one will, although a side mounted may. The focus ring has 3 little tits that stick out every 120 degs and I think they may rub. I'll verify this evening and get back to you.

Since January I have also taken it out coyote hunting a couple times and managed to take 5 coyotes with this setup. This was my first time hunting with the 30. The thing is built like a tank, and it does have a bit of heft to it but it is not terrible. On one hunt, I walked about 1.8 miles with the weapon, E-caller, and head mounted PVS-14. Climbing into a stand you just had to be mindful of the extended optic. (In SC, we can only use centerfire at night Feb-March. The law is beyond screwy. If you hunt with a subsonic caliber you can hunt from the ground. If you hunt with a supersonic caliber you have to be elevated 10ft.) That said, I also own a CZ512 Tactical in 22 mag and was able to run the 30 on that rifle as well.

If you are thinking about buying a PVS-30, or any other long range/sniper type clip on go ahead and try to source a strong laser/illuminator as soon as you can. I had great service from Will's Optics sourcing a pair of LA-5's. You don't NEED one, but I can't stress how NICE it is to have that long throw for illumination on dark nights. If you really want LR illumination you can use the high power laser on an object near what you are trying to look at and the spill also illuminates nicely. I only say this if you plan on shooting 500+ yards. If it is just going on a carbine shooting a couple hundred yards, get a MAWL or one of the other IR lasers. The stronger lasers are definitely harder to come by most times so if I did it again, I would probably look to secure one first. Not that I had any issue finding one as Will's had several in stock when I began to look, but I am sure they dry up from time to time. I just looked at it like buying any other high end optic, and figured I was getting a PVS-30 and LA-5 for what a brand new 30 normally runs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top