Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2017 7:46:40 PM EDT
I'm planning on attending CWTII. Last year I guess targets were out to 250 yards. I have no idea what they will be this year. This will be my first CW.

I plan on running my 11.5" SBR with a T2. During the day, I have a 3x magnifier behind it and I know my holdover out to 300, which is my longest range I have access to. My NV equipment consists of (2) PVS-14 and an ATIPAL. I have various white and IR lights on my rifle and helmet also. Unfortunately, I have no clip on.

If I take the rear BUIS off the upper, I can mount one PVS-14 with a 3x magnifier behind the T2. That leaves me with one PVS-14 on my helmet, plus the one on my rifle.

Or, I can bridge the two PVS-14s together on my helmet and just squint really hard to see the targets and aim with the laser. I can pretty reliably land hits on a 6" plates at 100 yards this way. I don't know how well I'll be able to spot hidden targets though with no magnification.

Any advice on how to configure my gear? I'll be out the next couple of weekends to try it and try to optimize my setup.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
For 300 yards I would probably want to weapon mount an NVD. I don't like to use the laser past about 200 yards. Some people want to never mount a PVS-14 so you will see varying positions on here.

What magnifier do you have for the PVS-14? If you intend to mount behind an Aimpoint magnifier you will get less than optimum results. An Aimpoint in front of a PVS-14 with the military PVS-14 3X magnifier works decent.

Don't forget - if you have the military 3X magnifier you can keep the PVS-14 helmet mounted with the magnifier attached and still shoot with the laser. If the stage is "shooting only" then I would thread mount the magnifier. If the stage is "dynamic" then I would use the slip on cuff for the magnifier so you can pull it quickly and get running after the shots or pop it on quickly after running. A bipod with long legs like a Harris S25C with a rail adapter really helps to keep it on target at distance. The long legged bipods let you work around debris and weeds and get stabilized shots from sitting position - not just prone.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
SOT idea is what I would do.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Just so we're all on the same page, here's what I'm talking about doing.

Having a PVS-14 on my helmet with the ATIPAL for <100 yards. Then I can flip up the helmet mount and switch the unit on the rifle with mil 3x magnifier behind the T2 for longer range.

Or, I can put both on my helmet and just squint really hard for the long range targets. I'm pretty good at this up to 100 yards on a 6" plate in the open.

FWIW, I'm fairly proficient at navigating, spotting, and shooting with just a single PVS-14. Just last weekend I had to split my units up so a buddy could hog hunt with me and I did fine with just a single unit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... Deformed dot,...
View Quote
The rest of your points are have some weight, but the T2 is way the heck more round and magnifies wayyyyy better than the T1 2moa.

I keep my T1 on the Kriss where it never gets magnified. It looks like this under a magnifier:   /

The T2 magnifies almost completely round, though still a little bigger than you'd like it to be. That being said, I can still kill a water mellon at 300 yards with a 3x magnifier (day time).

I spent a ton of money and time on Eotechs, and eventually gave up and sent them all in when they started issuing refunds. I was heavy into EoTechs, even as far as building custom carbon fiber/kevlar composite hoods for them. I got tired of battery drains, dead spots in the view window, a unit that just wouldn't turn on, and chasing my zero every few months (temp shift). I haven't had to use my BUIS since switching to Aimpoints. With EoTech, you bet I kept those irons zero'd.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:31:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I won the CWE night runner division last year using a PEQ-15 on my SR-15 and a single PVS-14. I have a SF X400-v-irc on my G34. I then proceeded to fail miserably at CWSE this past April because my 15 was off. Rifle targets were as far out as 300yds.

Anyhow, the main consideration at CW is if the targets are in the open or not and if the host has painted the targets with a non-reflective paint. If the targets are in the open, I don't see an issue with your current setup and both nods helmet mounted. However, if they're hard to see/camouflaged/non-reflective, you're going to want a clip on, or a magnifier...probably still helmet mounted. 

If you've never done live fire at night, don't sweat it, it'll be a great learning experience for what you and your gear are capable of. Most importantly, it's CW, just have fun with it...because you might die ;)
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I won the CWE night runner division last year using a PEQ-15 on my SR-15 and a single PVS-14. I have a SF X400-v-irc on my G34. I then proceeded to fail miserably at CWSE this past April because my 15 was off. Rifle targets were as far out as 300yds.

Anyhow, the main consideration at CW is if the targets are in the open or not and if the host has painted the targets with a non-reflective paint. If the targets are in the open, I don't see an issue with your current setup and both nods helmet mounted. However, if they're hard to see/camouflaged/non-reflective, you're going to want a clip on, or a magnifier...probably still helmet mounted. 

If you've never done live fire at night, don't sweat it, it'll be a great learning experience for what you and your gear are capable of. Most importantly, it's CW, just have fun with it...because you might die ;)
View Quote
Staying within the confines of "NV configuration for Cola Warrior" do you have any other observations or advice for CW Night Vision use including the handgun portion of the event?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What kinda monster would do that?

Didn't seem to be a problem with my T50 last year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if the targets are in the open or not and if the host has painted the targets with a non-reflective paint.
What kinda monster would do that?

Didn't seem to be a problem with my T50 last year.
I heard those bastards that hosted CWSE used nonreflective paint.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I won night at CWT1 with a single PVS14 on a nightcap plus an old ass OTAL on the rifle.  I had a Torch for illum.

I'm using the same setup this year.

Don't over think it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I have ran a few NV runs and have won one at CWE a couple years ago.

My set up is pvs-14 on my helmet and DBAL-A3 on rifle with a Supertac IR for any additional illum. The pistol has a X400V-IR.

Ive been able to hit the 300 with my setup.

In reality make a decision and try it out and when it fails(everyone fails) you can make an adjustment for your next time at cola warrior
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Is the 3X magnifier pointless on the -14?  It's part of the MNVD package I got and I might as well flip it if it's going to just sit in the case.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't won the night part of a Cola Warrior, but I have placed in the top 3 multiple times. Fortunately for me, I managed to stumble into an amazing deal on a pvs-24 a couple years ago. The last couple events I've used my pvs-24, a peq-15, my CWAR-DMR with a Leupold MK4 2.5-8x optic, and a GG&G bipod. For pistol, I use a g19 with a Surefire X400V. Of course, I have a helmet mounted pvs-14 for everything but the rifle portion.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Keep the NODs on your head with IR laser on your gun and be done with it. Not good running and gunning with NODS on your gun and pointing your gun at everything to just see is not safe.

Been a proud sponsor with the Cola Warriors for a long time. You all are animlas like hockey players!
View Quote
When are you going to honor us with your presence?

Then we can show you what's worked for us and learn what's worked for you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is the 3X magnifier pointless on the -14?  It's part of the MNVD package I got and I might as well flip it if it's going to just sit in the case.
View Quote
That magnifier that is part of the kit is the cat's ass. Use the hell out of it. When you don't need it then you don't need it but when you do then it fills a pretty big gap. Incidentally, there are a lot of these on the surplus market so you won't get squat for it if you sell it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I plan on using an m620v, dbal-i2, and bipod on the rifle portion at cwt2.

For pistol I plan on using an aimpoint t2, dbal-pl or streamlight hl2 ir/ir and a 6sm. Maybe a nice bright light like an m620v, but I haven't decided.

I've been looking for a good clip-on at a price I can't pass up, but I haven't found one yet. :(
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Ive cleared 4 nv runs at multiple cola wars.

Three years ive used a weapon mounted laser and illum. Make sure to zero the illum to the dot or youll have a bad time. Ive used this with a 3x mag attached to my helmet. 100% on rifle every time.

One year i used a pvs24 in front of an elcan and i felt like i was cheating...

Pistol has always been a docter on top of an fnx45 and a x300v. 100% the pistols every time pretty quick. Some guys prefer the laser but im a big fan of the docter.

GOOD LUCK!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I hope someone brings a MAWL-C out to this years so I can see how the illuminator stacks up.

My range is super super dark with the pines around it, so to get the 300m either a full power laser or something like the Torch / DBAL-D2 is really needed.
View Quote
I got my MAWL-C a few days ago. The comments on the illuminator are no joke. It blows everything else I've tried completely out of the water, including some restricted mil/le stuff.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#25]

My standard Cola Warrior setup. Cat not included.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ive cleared 4 nv runs at multiple cola wars.

Three years ive used a weapon mounted laser and illum. Make sure to zero the illum to the dot or youll have a bad time. Ive used this with a 3x mag attached to my helmet. 100% on rifle every time.

One year i used a pvs24 in front of an elcan and i felt like i was cheating...

Pistol has always been a docter on top of an fnx45 and a x300v. 100% the pistols every time pretty quick. Some guys prefer the laser but im a big fan of the docter.

GOOD LUCK!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/348028/FB-IMG-1494619024409-207014.JPG
View Quote
I do not care how much people laugh at the CW guys. If you are pushing a 175 pound tire around and walking on your hands after eating Peeps and Coke in the dark under MNVD and shooting from close distance to 300 yards on the clock then you are a warrior.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just animals!  I need to attend (AS AN OBSERVER OF COURSE) sometime. I'll bring the bacon cheeseburgers with special sauce!

P.S. Need some thermal as well for that epic pic moment btw!
View Quote
Its a thing now...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You have not been here that long, but NO one laughs at these  guys nor have I ever heard of anyone who does.
View Quote
We have and we always invite them to come try it and prove us wrong. I think maybe one person has taken us up on it...

P.S. THANKS TNVC FOR SPONSORING US!!!!

I have the gopro adapter you donated for a prize!
I just bought a tatm adapter plate and glux liner from you guys.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

We have and we always invite them to come try it and prove us wrong. I think maybe one person has taken us up on it...

P.S. THANKS TNVC FOR SPONSORING US!!!!

I have the gopro adapter you donated for a prize!
I just bought a tatm adapter plate and glux liner from you guys.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/348028/20170511-174219-207109.JPG
View Quote
Tnvc seems like good folks, even if they're based in Cali.

I just picked up an accessory and a tnvc tshirt a couple days ago. I hope you guys come to CWTII.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Even though I don't run the NV class . I met the TNVC guys this year at the NRA AM . They are nice guys . Come to the event . What is the worse that could happen ?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Staying within the confines of "NV configuration for Cola Warrior" do you have any other observations or advice for CW Night Vision use including the handgun portion of the event?
View Quote
For me, the pistol stage is the easiest. I would assume that any consumer grade IR light/laser combo will be precise enough and bright enough to confidently engage targets and score hits. Trigger control is what it boils down to IMHO. Besides, lining up a pistol laser seems to be almost foolproof.
I'll let you be surprised by what the targets may or may do at each event, but trigger control is paramount when say, the target crosses the path of your laser
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I had to look VERY CLOSELY to finally find the closest rifle target tree. 
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Ran Night at West III and running night at CWT2.

10.5 SBR, DBAL, Pvs14 on the helmet with a 3x magnifier on a lanyard. G19 with a T1 and a X400V.

I found out the hard way with the 400-500 yard targets at west that my setup isn't great past 300 even with the 3x mag slipped on the 14.  Also had some issues with my DBAL not allowing me to open up the flood on the Ilumn, so i spent most of my time trying to ID targets...lesson learned for sure and I did enjoy my penalties.

Will be looking into a Clip on in the near future so I can get behind a scope for the long targets.

I could not believe how simple the G19/ALG 6 second/T1/X400V was. It's perfect. Pretty much point and click. I did find the T1 to be my go to over the X400V laser however. I could do without the laser to be honest, but the illumn is nice.

Night Runs at Cola Warrior are the most fun you wish you never had.

Can't wait to do it again.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For me, the pistol stage is the easiest. I would assume that any consumer grade IR light/laser combo will be precise enough and bright enough to confidently engage targets and score hits. Trigger control is what it boils down to IMHO. Besides, lining up a pistol laser seems to be almost foolproof.
I'll let you be surprised by what the targets may or may do at each event, but trigger control is paramount when say, the target crosses the path of your laser
View Quote
I fogged up my PVS14 which kinda sucked seeing far.

I cleared pistol at CWE with a beretta 92, pvs14 and uni-ir. The laser make the polish rack super simple.

I used a rifle mounted IR laser on my rifle with a separate IR illuminator.
But I couldn't see past 200yards for rifle, the smoke from my hand loads was reflecting my illuminator really badly. I need to figure out a less smoky load than 25gr of h335.

I ran as a standby. DFL is still a finisher and got me veteran status, maybe next time I'll get one of those kickass swagbags.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/253448/image-207033.jpg

My standard Cola Warrior setup. Cat not included.
View Quote
What optic is that in front of your scope?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think he said it was a PVS24
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it's as amazing as you think.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#39]
What would a piece of fine equipment like that put someone back?

asking for a "friend"
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

asking for a "friend"
View Quote
You could buy one today for 5. Or watch for a while and find one for 3500.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
For that I can get a 640 thermal.

decisions decisions.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

For that I can get a 640 thermal.

decisions decisions.
View Quote
Depends on if you're shooting things that are warm or things that are smart enough to hide their heat signatures or never had them.

Get both?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I cleared pistol at CWE with a beretta 92, pvs14 and uni-ir. The laser make the polish rack super simple.

But I couldn't see past 200yards for rifle, the smoke from my hand loads was reflecting my illuminator really badly. I need to figure out a less smoky load than 25gr of h335.

I ran as a standby. DFL is still a finisher and got me veteran status, maybe next time I'll get one of those kickass swagbags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why you don't use a muzzle break and do step sideways everytime the smoke gets bad, possibly between each shot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Depends on if you're shooting things that are warm or things that are smart enough to hide their heat signatures or never had them.

Get both?
View Quote
Get both.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is a technical board not fantasy land. The cheapest NIB I ever saw was around $6,700 and I have never seen a used one for sub $4,700.
There is one company advertising NIB for sub $5k a few towns over from me and when I called it was a run around about we sold out but we can get you one but that was around the price everyone else sells them for.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

asking for a "friend"
View Quote
It's a pvs24. The next event that we are both at, you are more than welcome to check it out.

Oops, quoted the wrong post.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This is a technical board not fantasy land. The cheapest NIB I ever saw was around $6,700 and I have never seen a used one for sub $4,700.
There is one company advertising NIB for sub $5k a few towns over from me and when I called it was a run around about we sold out but we can get you one but that was around the price everyone else sells them for.
View Quote
Not living in fantasy land here. I see them on the FB for-sale groups for 5k frequently enough that I have interpreted the price as $5k. They're not NIB, why would you need NIB if it works?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I won night at CWT1 with a single PVS14 on a nightcap plus an old ass OTAL on the rifle.  I had a Torch for illum.

I'm using the same setup this year.

Don't over think it.
View Quote
Do you have a pic of your rig? I was wondering how you turn on your OTAL and IR light at the same time
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Do you have a pic of your rig? I was wondering how you turn on your OTAL and IR light at the same time
View Quote
I can't remember if he was the one who set the torch down or had it mounted to the rifle.

But, uh, my memory can't be trusted. It was all very fuzzy at CWE4 at night.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top