Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2017 1:32:47 AM EDT
I have a helmet that's basically just for display at the moment but who knows what happens in the future.  It's a nice helmet currently fitted with Ops Core ACH ARC rails and I want to add a single hole shroud but I cant afford the $100+ Norotos shrouds, as nice as they are.  I've seen several from $20 to $70 but I have my doubts as to whether they are legitimately capable of holding any NVG gear without breaking.  I'm sure the cheaper ones are crappy air soft junk but I don't know about the more expensive ones.  Odds are they are all junk but I gotta ask.  I've already spent a fair bit of cash on the helmet, back when I had extra funds available but that's not the case anymore and won't be the case for a long, long time.  I'd love to buy Norotos, it's good stuff but it's just not possible.

I want something like the Norotos Universal shroud style, I already have one of the old milsurp ones that hooks under the front edge of the helmet but that's not what I'm looking for.  I've been looking for a used Norotos Shroud but even those are $100+, just curious if that's my only option or if there's a more affordable one?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:14:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Wilcox 1-hole shroud for ~$65 is a good option for a 1-hole helmet.

The Norotos RHNO II shroud that comes with the RHNO II mount is good also, and can be found for $15 on eBay, and if you're so inclined, you can buy the entire mount system for <$100.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Norotos RHNO II shroud that comes with the RHNO II mount is good also, and can be found for $15 on eBay, and if you're so inclined, you can buy the entire mount system for <$100.  

~Augee
View Quote
Thanks.  After looking them I can see where they got the "RHNO" name lol.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Are "DLP Tactical" shrouds any good?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

~Augee
View Quote
Lean towards the Wilcox. They can typically be found on eBay under $50. I badly damaged a Norotos RHNO II Shroud very easily. The arms are great but I am not a fan of the shrouds. The fit and function were good - just not the ruggedness.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks.  After looking them I can see where they got the "RHNO" name lol.
View Quote
Maybe Augee will remember the real reason. What is RHNO? Ruggedized Helmet (mount) for Night Optics?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are "DLP Tactical" shrouds any good?
View Quote
I think DLP hand selects the best Chinese knockoffs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:34:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe Augee will remember the real reason. What is RHNO? Ruggedized Helmet (mount) for Night Optics?
View Quote
I do not know what "RHNO" stands for, though the superficial resemblance from which the "Rhino" nickname stems is, of course, obvious.  

All I know is that Norotos refers to it as the "RHNO II," without the "I," previously I had just always referred to the articulating arm, and still refer to the legacy arms as "Rhinos," though a fair assumption could be that the legacy mount is necessarily the "RHNO (I)."  

At the same time, it could be the tail wagging the dog, and by the time the RHNO II was introduced, the "Rhino" nickname was so entrenched that they just "made up" a matching acronym for it where one had not previously existed.  I don't know enough off top of my head of the specific military and commercial nomenclature to say right now, it would take a little research/digging, though a good start would be to look up the official nomenclature of the COEI in the supply system.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:13:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I do not know what "RHNO" stands for, though the superficial resemblance from which the "Rhino" nickname stems is, of course, obvious.  

All I know is that Norotos refers to it as the "RHNO II," without the "I," previously I had just always referred to the articulating arm, and still refer to the legacy arms as "Rhinos," though a fair assumption could be that the legacy mount is necessarily the "RHNO (I)."  

At the same time, it could be the tail wagging the dog, and by the time the RHNO II was introduced, the "Rhino" nickname was so entrenched that they just "made up" a matching acronym for it where one had not previously existed.  I don't know enough off top of my head of the specific military and commercial nomenclature to say right now, it would take a little research/digging, though a good start would be to look up the official nomenclature of the COEI in the supply system.  

~Augee
View Quote
I just assumed it was because it looks like a rhino horn on your head.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just assumed it was because it looks like a rhino horn on your head.
View Quote
Like Augee said, it may be a post-literation but I am absolutely sure that I saw a description of a RHNO in official declaring it an acronym and the first word was "Ruggedized", as opposed to the earlier 95% plastic version that was prone to breakage.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Makes sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top