Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2017 4:41:12 PM EDT
I see offerings from ADM & Larue so far.

The larue with VFZ for $60 seems like a winner.
Any lower profile mounts out there I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The larue VFZ didnt work for me. I had to send it back. The wrench to tighten the nut was too tall to fit between the body of the DBAL and the top of the nut.

I got the throw levers and they work fine.

Eta...i probably could have used an upen end wrench, but due to the contours of the mount it didnt look like anything i had would work, ymmv
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The larue VFZ didnt work for me. I had to send it back. The wrench to tighten the nut was too tall to fit between the body of the DBAL and the top of the nut.

Eta...i probably could have used an upen end wrench, but due to the contours of the mount it didnt look like anything i had would work, ymmv
View Quote
Did it actually end up being lower than the stock DBAL mount? If so, might be interested in trying it on my DBAL-A3.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hmm, I've got some tools. Did you contact them in this regard? That seems like a pretty obvious oversight on their part if true.
Perhaps it was not made for your version of DBAL?

What DBAL version?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I will try to measure and post pics later.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hmm, I've got some tools. Did you contact them in this regard? That seems like a pretty obvious oversight on their part if true.
Perhaps it was not made for your version of DBAL?

What DBAL version?
View Quote
Oh, its true my friend...but if you dont believe me...feel free to order a few and report back:)

I tried it on my A3. I believe the i2 and A3 are the same. I did not contact them.

I believe a small/thin open end wrench would work....possibly....and probably only with a lot of very short strokes.

If the provided box wrench would have worked I would have kept it.

eta...i thiNk it would work on the otal
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Could you have just adjusted the rail grabber prior to installation on the laser?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Could you have just adjusted the rail grabber prior to installation on the laser?
View Quote
Yea, that would probably help.

I was not looking for a QD option, bit I did want a turn key solution that didn't involve a lot of 'special considerations' and extra tools. If the box wrench that comes with every larue mount woukd have worked I would have mounted the laser on my carbine and thrown the wrench in my kit bag along with my other 20 larue wrenches.

When the wtench didnt fit between the body of the laser and the top of the nut, the first thing i did was go and find every cresent and open end wrench in the house....none of them worked....im a former macine shop monkey and auto mechanic....ive got a lot of tools....if i dont have what it takes to quickly tighten/untighhten it....i dont want it.

...and while i previously said I wasnt looking for a QD option...i do want the option of removing it if i need to. After I realized it would be a pain in the ass to mount/remove it I decided I should stop being a cheap bastard and just get the throw lever option.

Ymmv....maybe you are a computer guy with lots of tiny tools...more power to you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll tell you on Friday when it arrives.

No attack on you sir, it just seemed like huge oversight for the mount not to essentially work.
For the rifle I want it on, it won't ever come off. It's not so much being cheap as function I don't need in the lever.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll tell you on Friday when it arrives.

No attack on you sir, it just seemed like huge oversight for the mount not to essentially work.
For the rifle I want it on, it won't ever come off. It's not so much being cheap as function I don't need in the lever.
View Quote
Cool man, i hope it works. I was just tryin to help a brother out by tellin bout my own experience.

For me, it wasnt so much about the goin on....it was the coming off....seems that getting a nut tigh is easy....getting it off is another story. I had some wrenches that would get a little bite...but just barely. If the laser messes up, it the screws between the laser and mount mess up, if you ever want to look like a regular guy w/o nvg's....you might get frustrated later.

Eta...i am fan of larue....i dont think it is an oversight....isnt it also marketed as a bipod mount?....and it is the same mount i believe....just a different option depending on your application. The nut is impossible to get to with the provided tool.....maybe you can find something that will fit in the tiny little space....but if you do, it will probably be a pita and it wont be the same tool that you use on all your other mounts. I dont think its a design flaw, i just the the website dosent provide an exhaustive description of all applications.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#10]
As far as a I know there are no after market mounts that lower the DBAL series of lasers.

My solution was to go with a 1/3 co-witness sight, that got it pretty much out of view from the optic, at least enough it doesn't bother me any more.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As far as a I know there are no after market mounts that lower the DBAL series of lasers.

My solution was to go with a 1/3 co-witness sight, that got it pretty much out of view from the optic, at least enough it doesn't bother me any more.
View Quote
Is the mount frivolous and unneeded?

I would think spending $60 for a Larue mount over the factory issued would be worth it.
It does not seem that many people are using aftermarket stuff though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would think spending $60 for a Larue mount over the factory issued would be worth it.
View Quote
Interesting.  Looking forward to hearing how this works out.  One of the things I dislike the most about the DBAL lasers is the height of the damn things. 
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I have all of the above and the LaRue mount does not lower the dbal.

Dont know what you are doing, but this has been a great setup for me. Ive tried many different rail/mount/light combos.

Ive seen another guy that milled out an ALG rail to directly mount the dbal...I almost took that dive too. Im sure the Dbal would be lower, but that would also move your light out the side more.

EDIT: HERE is that thread and it does indeed look like the light is further out than mine. (not the end of the world, just spitballing)

This is as close/compact as I have been able to get without real modification.

Larue Dbal mount and Unity Tactical SF mount.

Probably doesn't...but hope that helps in some way
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have all of the above and the LaRue mount does not lower the dbal.

Dont know what you are doing, but this has been a great setup for me. Ive tried many different rail/mount/light combos.

Ive seen another guy that milled out an ALG rail to directly mount the dbal...I almost took that dive too. Im sure the Dbal would be lower, but that would also move your light out the side more.

EDIT: HERE is that thread and it does indeed look like the light is further out than mine. (not the end of the world, just spitballing)

This is as close/compact as I have been able to get without real modification.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo357/StressFire/20170427_080749_zpsv079g3zs.jpg
Larue Dbal mount and Unity Tactical SF mount.
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo357/StressFire/20170427_080838_zpsjzlj2nkx.jpg

Probably doesn't...but hope that helps in some way
View Quote
Thank for the info and pictures.

My thinking was for something that I heavily rely on (DBAL) under NODS, I'd want to make sure it's rock solid. Larue mounts have never let me down.
For $60 I can semi-permanently attach my only night aiming device and have no doubt. This was less about profile, but that was a hopeful bonus.

I do remember that direct mount thread/pics, that is a interesting idea also.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
The QD mount th DBALs come with work just fine, no need to replace it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The QD mount th DBALs come with work just fine, no need to replace it.
View Quote
I suppose it gave me a need to re-up my dillo dust supply then.

Going to take before and after pics after mounting tonight for anyone interested.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Well...as advised the mount both would not tighten with supplied wrench and is actually taller (Slightly) than OEM..
I'm going to post in their industry forum to see if there is some trick.

Mounts
Attachment Attached File

Before Pics measured from 1.5"
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After pics measured from same.
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top