Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 3:40:02 PM EDT
For rifle mounted?

FLIR or NVG

ETA: failed spectacular on poll....please just post I guess.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
This comparison is non-sequitur. The two tools in question perform different tasks (for the most part, though with some overlap).
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This comparison is non-sequitur. The two tools in question perform different tasks (for the most part, though with some overlap).
View Quote
While I agree, it's preference not "best".
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#3]
PSQ20B. both in 1. (See avatar)

By themselves.

Nvd for walking around and IR laser work.

Thermal if you're stationary able to continuously look through an optic.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thermal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Both duh, ha. I think thermal is great for spotting animals. Then switch to night vision for walking around shooting. I started with night vision myself, but I could see starting with thermal also. Just because when you only have night vision it's harder to find exactly where the animals are at. You can walk around and navigate better with night vision, but it's hard to see the animals if they are hiding in the bushes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Let me clarify.

"Do you prefer NVG or FLIR on a rifle mounted scope"
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#7]
For a dedicated scope I'd rather go thermal. Run a pvs head mounted and and it laser on the gun also for fast, close up shots, thermal scope for longer work and occasional passes for detection.

Surprisingly my ir patrol isn't useless for navigation. On darker nights if I'm not using ir I can see more detail of the road I'm driving on, tire tracks, ruts, etc. or trails through the grass. Depth perception is non existent though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]
NVG, you see what you see.   Thermal, you see what you often times dont see.  Ive spotted many animals Id never see with NVG.  Hiding deer, coyotes, rabbits, rats, hogs deep in the woods.   Downed animals after Ive shot them.  I can see armadillos 400-500 yards away and head in their direction for putting them down.  Hands down, thermal.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Let me clarify.

View Quote
neither, I shoot with a weapon mounted laser.

If I had to shoot from a rifle mounted optic and had to choose - probably FLIR
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Flir is a company that makes both night vision devices and thermal devices.  

What is your intended purpose for the devices?   If I had an unlimited budget, I would likely use an Unfilmed WP PVS-14 helmet mounted with a BE Meyers MAWL, and a Trijicon E-optics REAP-IR on the gun.  Many people have many preferences, those preferences also can vary depending on intended application.
View Quote
Personally, my NVG is used in combination with a DBAL primarily for wildlife mitigation.

I was just interested in seeing what people prefer when mounting a unit (Thermal or NVG) on their rifle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#12]
NV Scope, thermal is just to impersonal.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For a dedicated scope I'd rather go thermal. Run a pvs head mounted and and it laser on the gun also for fast, close up shots, thermal scope for longer work and occasional passes for detection.
View Quote
This is a great setup
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Thermal all day everyday and twice at night.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Let me clarify.

View Quote
Scope? Thermal X1000.  Curious to see if even one single person says they'd prefer a NV scope.  Doubt it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top