Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 9:43:56 AM EDT
I'm looking at trading into a set of BE Meyers night vision monocular, Gen III but I know nothing about it, or night vision in general.  

Can anyone give me a little more info on it?  Quality?  Things to look out for?  Maintence?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#1]
PVS14?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Is Harris a good company?  anything I should look out for in a used night vision.  

I believe it is a pvs-14

And I did read the pinned post on night vision.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is Harris a good company?  anything I should look out for in a used night vision.  

I believe it is a pvs-14

And I did read the pinned post on night vision.
View Quote
there are two major players as far as tubes go. ITT and L3.

Either are fine, the newer tubes being produced by L3 are getting pretty impressive with the specs.

That being said pretty much anybody (US citizen of course) can buy a housing/tube/power supply and put a pvs-14 together.

questions you need to ask

1. Where did the owner get it? (be weary of shady responses. It possible is was a .gov unit that "fell off the truck")
2. if its a milspec unit, ask for the NSN. This will tell you what contract it was built under and give you an idea of what tube specs to expect
3. if its not a milspec unit and built in house by a company (such as TNVC) ask for a data sheet/serial number to see when it was produced/specs
4. ask to look through it and examine for bad blemishes
5. if you are not local ask for a picture looking through the tube at a white piece of paper or white wall

here is a good picture on arf that a memeber posted looking at a grading sheet to give you an idea of blemish size and what zone it may be in

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Harris bought out ITTs NV production factories a while back, they are one of the major image intensifier producers in the USA like L3 is. One of my electrical engineering friends works for them but cannot tell me anything about what goes on in the lab due to confidentially agreements.

BE Meyers doe not produce NV image intensifiers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
BE Meyers used to assemble night vision scopes in the late 1980s and 1990s, Dark Invader was their brand. Mostly Gen II and III systems build for surveillance (tripod mounts, C-mount lenses, a few of their models have bi-ocular eyepieces). They have a range of older tubes in them, they stopped making them in the late 1990s I believe and switched to lasers. They used a lot of glue to assemble and waterproof them so they are hard to service.

Reference thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/412931_B_E__Meyers_Dark_Invader.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#9]
So there has been no BE Meyers NV since the 90's?

Update:  I passed on the deal.  It was a good deal but I just don't know enough to make me comfortable.  Also, it was not a PVS-14 housing but the pictures looked good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top