Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2017 5:07:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Possible conflict with magnet. Remove the magnet, anyways. The auto-off feature is garbage.

If this does not fix it:

Possible incompatibility with J-Arm. Try another J-Arm or lightly sand the bayonet lug where it hits the socket.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I tried taking the magnet off.  Are you saying to sand the center of the "V" in the lug to make it deeper?  I can't tell if its not going in the socket far enough to lock up, or if the release is just not lining up correctly to lock it in place.  

I don't have another J-Arm.
View Quote
No - I am saying to lightly sand the outer edges so the bayonet lug can penetrate deeper into the socket.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]
IM sent. 

This annoyance is what drove me to dovetail mounts.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IM sent. 

This annoyance is what drove me to dovetail mounts.
View Quote
I don't doubt that you guys are having problems but I have a half-dozen RHNO IIs and 25 J-arms and I have not seen this so it is not as widespread as some imagine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I ended up crossing the streams and using a G24 with a dual dovetail adapter. I'm hoping to go to a dual tube eventually, hence the G24. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I tried taking the magnet off.  Are you saying to sand the center of the "V" in the lug to make it deeper?  I can't tell if its not going in the socket far enough to lock up, or if the release is just not lining up correctly to lock it in place.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Possible conflict with magnet. Remove the magnet, anyways. The auto-off feature is garbage.

If this does not fix it:

Possible incompatibility with J-Arm. Try another J-Arm or lightly sand the bayonet lug where it hits the socket.

Sand the $25 J-Arm, NOT the $350 mount...

And do it incrementally checking fit with the mount as you go. I had the same issue with a JArm and a TATM.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Whoever is making the J arms must be making them a lot tighter than previously. This has come up a couple times lately.
View Quote
As a side note, some of the PVS-7s have been found to have a locking tooth either further forward or further rearward. The bayo lug is coned, so it's not so much a matter of tighter and looser as it is further forward or rearward.

I suspect many of the eBay specials to be genuine USGI contractor out of spec fallout.

I have also seen people that thought they had a problem that just did not press the lug hard enough. I would rather have to crank the thing in there and know that I got max stability then have it be sloppy like a RHNO I. I personally thought I had a fitment problem when I got my first RHNO II.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#13]
My J-Arm slot for the spring loaded locking latch measures 0.395" and my socket locking tooth measures 0.325" so I have 0.070" clearance - and basically zero chance for that problem.

You want the system to "bottom-out" right at the point of locking, for stability. The tooth does not need to kiss the locking latch slot for the system to be stable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#15]
That is close. Try loosening the four screws at the corners of the base of the socket. That should tell us if it is an Up/Down fitment issue which I suspect... and get rid of the damned magnet. I don't think Left/Right fitment problems are common. That bottom plate should give resistance but it should give way under force. It is spring-loaded.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#17]
use a q-tip to coat a light film of grease at the bottom of the mount, install the J arm, then remove it and see if the grease transfers to the end of bayonet. You could also grease the ridges of the bayonet insert the J arm and remove it to see how far the grease tracks go into the mount.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#18]
If you took the bottom plate all the way off of the socket and you still could not get the lug to lock on the tooth then it sounds like a Left/Right fitment issue.

EDIT: Let's all have a moment of silence or the poor bastards that have this happen with their AN/PVS-7s. The lug is built into the housing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry, between your avatar and the first two words my brain drifted a bit... 

Your lost of options all make sense. Personally, the 4D pads are very nice so I'd lean that way. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#21]
i've sanded a few J-Arms down so they would fit into my Rhino II's.  just go slow.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I can try shaving down the J-Arm lug.  This risks fucking up the J-Arm for use with other mounts.
View Quote
If you are part of a team then swap J-Arms with team mates until one fits. If you are not part of a team then don't worry about being compatible with every other lowering arm on the planet. The most important part is that it works for you. Practice on a crappy, beat up, used one if that generates less stress for you. Used ones can be had for cheap. I bought a batch of 15 used ones for $50.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sandpaper or file?
View Quote
i used sandpaper.  i think i started with 220 grit then when it was close i went to 800 or something fine to leave it smooth.  i'd rather have it tight then too loose.  and always use a lanyard.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i used sandpaper.  i think i started with 220 grit then when it was close i went to 800 or something fine to leave it smooth.  i'd rather have it tight then too loose.  and always use a lanyard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sandpaper or file?
I agree - sandpaper on a flat surface to get a flat cut. Files tend to rub and bite erratically on the plastic instead of evenly cutting through the surface. I can tell from the photo that the system almost fits. Take it slow. You do not need to take very much off of the lug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top