Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 1:27:53 PM EDT
This year finally decided to take jump into NV world now that my gun buying is tapering off. I will be using system for some training/classes and camping/hiking applications. As I'm buying components Im trying to read and research as much as possible. Going with PVS14 from TNVC once I decide on a model but first I want to get a helmet and mount setup.

Thinking of getting OPS Core carbon since I don't need ballistic and wanted upgrade to metal shroud and rigidity over polymer bump. Is this a reasonable choice? Will I be limited in mounts at all going forward with this helmet? Im really liking the norotos INVG mounts due to being able to switch left and right eye and store mount closer to helmet but again I am all new to this world. Thought this post would be a good opener for conversation with the very knowledgable folks here. Money for the most part isn't an issue since I would rather buy quality once than junk twice. My budget is pretty open but want to keep whole system minus IT laser to less than 5-6K if possible.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Crye Nightcap also !
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#2]
From the OP: I will be using system for some training/classes and camping/hiking applications.

The OpsCore Carbon is the gold standard for non-ballistic high energy NV activities requiring a protective helmet. I suggest upgrading the pads. I use Oregon Aero but many others prefer Zero G's.

The factory cover and counterweight are top notch. They will assist counterweighting and provide a matrix for lashing accessories and cables, etc.

EDIT: The VAS Shroud or Skeleton Shroud which will come on the OpsCore Carbon will directly interface with the INVG or any other "standard" based lowering arm. There are always limits to compatibility but this shroud offers a large variety of options.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank for input. I will probably end up getting a Carbon helmet and night cap so I can have options. Night cap seems small and light and easy to pack. What do you guys think about the norotos INVG mount? Are the features worth it or would I be better served with another mount? All the different mount styles are confusing and try to make sure everything is compatible or what I want is tough.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The Carbon is a great choice, even better with the Lux Liner (the "Bump" version isn't available yet, but a standard one can be modified to fit) or other pad sets, though I personally don't mind the Occ Dial, either.  

As for the INVG... there are a lot of folks who swear by 'em for monos, but personally, they're probably one of my least favorite mounts out there, especially given the price, as I prefer push button stowage versus force to overcome, and the INVG doesn't really give you anything for the cost if you use duals.  

The ability to stow monoculars closer to your helmet by swiveling is interesting, but not compelling enough for me relative to the cost of the mount--the INVG is really better suited for something like the AN/PSQ-20B, which is a big clunky unit, and could really use the swivel.  

Also, and it may be that I just have a lopsided head--possibly from one too many knocks, but "rotating" features have never worked very well for me to switch eyes, whether it's the INVG, things like the DDA, Wilcox "I" Arms, or even the simple J-Arm, I've always needed additional adjustment to swap eyes.  

Good alternatives that might be worth looking into are the Wilcox L4 G24 and the Norotos Hyper series (of which there is an INVG version, as well as others).  

The 3-hole skeleton shroud that comes on the Carbon should give you the widest range of possible mounts, so I wouldn't worry about that in the least.  Norotos used to have proprietary mount interfaces that they've largely moved away from in favor of the current "Universal" mount, which is the same pattern as the USGI, Ops-Core VAS and skeleton, and Wilcox L4.  About the only thing you won't be able to do is direct-mounting ANVIS mounts, but it doesn't sound like that will really be a major concern for you, and even if you wanted to use an ANVIS-style mount, various adapters exist to use them with universal interfaces, if they don't come with them already.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank for input. I will probably end up getting a Carbon helmet and night cap so I can have options. Night cap seems small and light and easy to pack. What do you guys think about the norotos INVG mount? Are the features worth it or would I be better served with another mount? All the different mount styles are confusing and try to make sure everything is compatible or what I want is tough.
View Quote
I stuff my PVS-14 in a Tactical Tailor MNVD pouch and the pouch gets stuffed in the helmet so the helmet served double-duty as a hard case.

Night Caps seem to serve the more sedate users well. Active types tend to like the helmets.

The INVG is an excellent mount for the MNVD. It does not work well with a binocular, in case you think that is in your future. The INVG is Skeleton and VAS compatible.

If you want to go budget for a mount then the RHNO II is by far superior to the old RHNO. It's actually a pretty good mount.

If you want to ratchet up a notch then get a RHNO II and swap the socket for a dovetail socket. (and add a DDA Dual Dovetail Adapter)

If you want a totally killer mount for the MNVD then get the INVG you were already considering.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank guys. This place always comes through for me when I need to make that first jump into new gear stuff. I will order ops core carbon tonight.

Im probably gonna go for Omni VIII L3 tube for the ruggedness and price. For my causal and training use am I giving up anything going with that PVS 14 over the Night Enforcer for example? I don't think I want to drop the extra coin for white phosphorus right now till I see how addicted I will be to this stuff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
... till I see how addicted I will be to this stuff.
View Quote
Extremely, guaranteed

Edit: and to fill this post with some actual information too, the Night Enforcer's are no better than the TNVC built models and from what people have written here the L3 tubes are really good. Harris is not the biggest player in I^2 anymore.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Extremely, guaranteed

Edit: and to fill this post with some actual information too, the Night Enforcer's are no better than the TNVC built models and from what people have written here the L3 tubes are really good. Harris is not the biggest player in I^2 anymore.
View Quote
If you are going TNVC then you can wait for a hand-select unit that is almost guaranteed to outperform the Night Enforcer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]
You mean I can request an OMNI L3 unit to higher specs?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You mean I can request an OMNI L3 unit to higher specs?
View Quote
Yes. Read this thread: "PVS14 options for 3 grand"
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes. Read this thread: "PVS14 options for 3 grand"
View Quote
Are you thinking about a different thread, maybe? There's nothing in the thread you mentioned about making specific requests for higher specs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Are you thinking about a different thread, maybe? There's nothing in the thread you mentioned about making specific requests for higher specs.
View Quote
I was referencing the spec's he should chase.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I probably don't know enough to request specific specs but I know I would be willing to pay extra for a hand picked clean tube if that's an option.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I probably don't know enough to request specific specs but I know I would be willing to pay extra for a hand picked clean tube if that's an option.
View Quote
As far as I know the L3 mil spec tubes are quite clean by default, but aside from that I am sure they will help you with the specs if needed. Just as an example I have a tube with a little higher specs than the VIII minimums and I sure would not mind more when it's starlight, no citiy lights close, and in a forest. Active illumination is a great help, but I hate how it flashes back from everything close by and blinds you from seeing further.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's why I recommended the other thread. It will at least start you thinking.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks guys. Already ordered my ops core carbon from TNVC. Their responsiveness to questions has been great. Will definitely talk to them before my pvs14  purchase but I wouldn't considering ordering from anyone else
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Went ahead and ordered a black TNV/PVS14 OMNI VIII today! I was really considering a white phospho but with lead time and cost decided to dip into the NV waters with base unit first. Got a few weeks to decide on my mount and helmet setup now. Super excited. Thanks for info everyone.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#22]
If you'll ever be operating in vehicles get the INVG.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Just as an update. Went ahead and ordered INVG mount and dual dovetail adapter. Should be here Friday so I can get my helmet setup while waiting on my PVS14. Still planning on getting a night cap and maybe a cheap Rhino II mount to use as alternate setup.

Down the road I'm trying to decide if I really get into night vision would I get another PVS14 and run dual tubes or get a WP PVS14 to have as an alternate setup?.....decisions. Either way TNVC is getting a lot more of my money in the future.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#24]
You can't go wrong with TNVC.  The wait times are sometimes long but the gear is worth it.  A common misconception among folks starting out is that the mil-spec is the bomb.  In this case the mil-spec doesn't set the bar that high, IMHO, and those units can have all sorts of blemishes around the edges n such.  But some guys are all about having the mil-spec.  It doesn't sound like that's your game so you're smart to seek out TNVC.  Their in-house rigs actually exceed the mil-spec and are highly sought after.  I don't know signal noise from unicorn farts, but I know a sharp, clean tube when I see it.  

I really don't have any advice to add; you've already gotten pretty good scoop.  For you app it sounds like the carbon helmet will give the rigidity of a ballistic without the weight.  So if you don't see the need for self-defense use, you're GTG.  I use the Ops Core Base helmet with a Rhino II, J-arm, and -14.  Like SOT I have replaced the pads with my favorites, but otherwise run the OCC dial-a-noodle.  I've got a ballistic on the way which will add a VAS shroud.

If you read through the do's and don't thread you will find some sweet tips on how to really set your rig up right.  I have never found such a good source of info.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just as an update. Went ahead and ordered INVG mount and dual dovetail adapter. Should be here Friday so I can get my helmet setup while waiting on my PVS14. Still planning on getting a night cap and maybe a cheap Rhino II mount to use as alternate setup.

Down the road I'm trying to decide if I really get into night vision would I get another PVS14 and run dual tubes or get a WP PVS14 to have as an alternate setup?.....decisions. Either way TNVC is getting a lot more of my money in the future.
View Quote
WP is cool, but if you ever upgrade to binos I would probably just get another L3 tube like the one you just bought. This tube will be good enough for everything you want to do with it. If you have the extra cash to drop on filmless, then by all means dive right in. You can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Man I thought NFA stuff was expensive but now looking at dual tubes, accessories and IR lights and lasers it adds up quick. This place is the devil. .
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Just an update received my TNVC PVS14 yesterday! TNVC was a pleasure to deal with and lead time was actually considerably less than I was quoted which was awesome. Unit is absolutely flawless, no specs or spots anywhere. In fact the only think I can even see is maybe some very very slight hex pattern at 4 o'clock position which I think was only visible because I was using IR illuminator in my garage with white walls and once using it outside I think its not even discernible.

Still have a few questions.
1. First if the unit is off is there any way light exposure will damage intensifier, do I need to leave cap on as safety measure vs leaving clear lens cover on?
2.Can I use something like the Matbock Tarsier as a focus ring and daytime pin hole cover? Does it block enough light fully closed to protect tube so I could leave it on all the time?
3. How close ideally should objective be to your eye? Seems like its hard to keep it perfectly in line as there is always some wobble in mount, my FOV is better closer to my eye but seems like its too close. May be this is more personal preference.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just an update received my TNVC PVS14 yesterday! TNVC was a pleasure to deal with and lead time was actually considerably less than I was quoted which was awesome. Unit is absolutely flawless, no specs or spots anywhere. In fact the only think I can even see is maybe some very very slight hex pattern at 4 o'clock position which I think was only visible because I was using IR illuminator in my garage with white walls and once using it outside I think its not even discernible.

1. First if the unit is off is there any way light exposure will damage intensifier, do I need to leave cap on as safety measure vs leaving clear lens cover on?
2.Can I use something like the Matbock Tarsier as a focus ring and daytime pin hole cover? Does it block enough light fully closed to protect tube so I could leave it on all the time?
3. How close ideally should objective be to your eye? Seems like its hard to keep it perfectly in line as there is always some wobble in mount, my FOV is better closer to my eye but seems like its too close. May be this is more personal preference.
View Quote
1) Leaving any optical device in direct sunlight can cause damage. Normal ambient light will not damage a Gen 3 PVS-14 while it is turned off. Using a cover during storage is still good practice in a layered defense - in addition to turning the MNVD off.

2) You can use the Eclipse as a pinhole aperture. No pinhole over protects enough for full time daytime use.

3) You need enough distance from your eye to prevent injury - no more than that. We have addressed the issue of wobble previously. I'll try to find that thread.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Helpful Thread for beginners

Now that you have your NVG in hand, a lot of this will make more sense. It's a really good thread with lots of good info from heavy users from this sub-forum.
Good luck mate.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#30]
1) It's 3K+ worth of kit.  I cover it up.

2) As the man said, that will work.  I use a Butler Creek #07 with a .225" dia hole, in conjunction with a LIF as a sacrificial lens.

3)  You'll get different answers but I run a Wilcox filter and off-set it so it just touches my safety glasses.  I always protect my eyes, whenever possible, and glasses will take up some of the weight of the device.  Running this way without an eye cup gives you greater peripheral vision.  Not to mention keeps fogging down in hot n humid conditions.  

Lots of good tips in that thread.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks guys. Hopefully will get out this weekend to play with it a bit.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought the same PVS14 with an INVG mount from TNVC. You will not be disappointed. Don't regret my decision the slightest. Great entry level NV for me so far. Next is good rifle mount IR laser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top