Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 1:32:07 PM EDT
What's the best switch to run a laser and light combo? My setup will likely be an OTAL (ir) and a surefire white/ir light like a 952v or 600v.  I see the SF sro7-d-it and the TAPS from unity as viable options but I'm not sure how they work exactly. What I mean is, do they activate the light and laser at the same time from one button or does each button control one device? It seems awkward to have to hit both buttons simultaneously to activate an illuminator and pointer.

Are those switches only capable of momentary or can they be used to toggle between constant on and off?

What are these switches capable of and what are the shortcomings?

Thanks for the input in advance.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What's the best switch to run a laser and light combo? My setup will likely be an OTAL (ir) and a surefire white/ir light like a 952v or 600v.  I see the SF sro7-d-it and the TAPS from unity as viable options but I'm not sure how they work exactly. What I mean is, do they activate the light and laser at the same time from one button or does each button control one device? It seems awkward to have to hit both buttons simultaneously to activate an illuminator and pointer.

Are those switches only capable of momentary or can they be used to toggle between constant on and off?

What are these switches capable of and what are the shortcomings?

Thanks for the input in advance.
View Quote

The TAPS and SR-D-IT will operate only 1 device per dedicated button. If your want the option to operate 2 devices with a verity of modes ie momentary, constant on, single or dual device on/off/momentary etc, you need a TAPS PRO, but call TNVC to verify.

IMHO for hunting and HD/Duty it is a good idea to have your IR light/laser to come on at the same time and well as having the ability to operate them separately. Having them come on together will reduce the bloom of your laser at close engagements, although the OTAL-C IR's laser seems to be a bit more focused vs other DBALs/LAMs out there. Coming on independently is a good option if run a IR light/laser DBA/LAM and need the to go white light instantly or in your case run IR laser and a white light combo.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The SR-D-IT and TAPS are both "dumb" switches, in and that they are one button per device, and will only active the "native" functions on the device, which in the case of a Surefire light is momentary only, and IIRC, for Steiner devices, single tap momentary, double tap constant (I am not sure off the top of my head whether or not this applies to the OTAL).  

The TAPS PRO is programmable, and can be programmed for various different constant functions with the light, and you can also program one button to active both devices.  

The TAPS PRO is expensive, and both TAPS models are large in terms of form-factor.  The Surefire SR-D-IT is not cheap or small, by any means, but it can be cut down (removing the rail grabbing function) to fit in non-railed positions.  The TAPS are both M-LOK/KeyMod compatible without an additional rail section (and with some creativity can be direct mounted to other modular forearms), while the SR-D-IT you're pretty much restricted to using a rail section, or Velcro/zip ties to get it into position.  

Some users have reported the Insight-pattern plug on the SR-D-IT slipping out of Steiner devices due to design issues, requiring simple, but aggravating modifications to the plug, this is supposedly not an issue with the TAPS, though I have not first-hand used the TAPS with a Steiner/LDI device.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#3]
As stated, to achieve slaving of devices you will need the TAPS PRO.
Dimensions are:

4.46" Long
0.95" Wide
0.49" Tall

I hope that helps.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the responses, good info. I'll probably have to get my hands on one of the switches to determine preference.

As augee stated, I think it's probably good to have the ability to operate the light and laser independently. Although it still seems like it would be nice to have a slaved option.

Other than the size and added expense, is there a reason there's not a switch with 3 buttons? One for each device and the third for a slaved option. Matbe not enough demand for such a product, market drives everything.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#5]
If nothing else, the form factor of a 3-button switch would be prohibitive.  Existing dual switches are already large enough to be a hassle to mount on short barreled carbines/shorter rails, a third button, increasing the size of the switch by 30% would be a bear unless it was designed to specifically interface one way, which may or may not work with all configurations/users.

When using the TAPS PRO with an ATPIAL and Surefire light, I had it programmed with one button to activate the light (and programmed for double tap constant), and the other button slaving the devics, and I used the on-board "FIRE" button for independent activation of the laser.

As an alternative, as (if I recall), the OTAL dies not have a convenient "FIRE" button, you could use a dual function tailcap for your light (XM00 for the M952, SL00 for the Scout series), and use the push button to activate the light independently, while using the switch to activate the laser and slaved modes.

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If nothing else, the form factor of a 3-button switch would be prohibitive.  Existing dual switches are already large enough to be a hassle to mount on short barreled carbines/shorter rails, a third button, increasing the size of the switch by 30% would be a bear unless it was designed to specifically interface one way, which may or may not work with all configurations/users.

When using the TAPS PRO with an ATPIAL and Surefire light, I had it programmed with one button to activate the light (and programmed for double tap constant), and the other button slaving the devics, and I used the on-board "FIRE" button for independent activation of the laser.

As an alternative, as (if I recall), the OTAL dies not have a convenient "FIRE" button, you could use a dual function tailcap for your light (XM00 for the M952, SL00 for the Scout series), and use the push button to activate the light independently, while using the switch to activate the laser and slaved modes.

~Augee
View Quote
The OTAL-C has a rotary switch for pressure pad and constant on. The bad thing is with a pressure pad plugged in manipulating the rotary switch is a PITA.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#7]
@ Augee, can you operate both buttons with the switch mounted at 12:00 with either thumb using the TAPS/Pro or the SR-D-IT
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@ Augee, can you operate both buttons with the switch mounted at 12:00 with either thumb using the TAPS/Pro or the SR-D-IT
View Quote
I would imagine so, assuming you can fit all that on your top rail, but I couldn't speak with authority on the topic as I don't really use 12 o'clock switches.  

As I've mentioned, with Surefire SR switches, I trim them down to remove the rail-grabber portions, and the TAPS PRO I had managed to find various ways to direct-mount it to the Geissele 416 SMR, despite it not being M-LOK or KeyMod.  

Old beta photographs:

~Augee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top