Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2017 4:11:45 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

I didn't post a link not knowing the forum rules about sending links to vendors.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Are we measuring IR in lumens?

738 foot throw as viewed by what I2 device?

The description reads like Engrish with no real specifications. I assume this is Chinese and not, necessarily the best Chinese. There is a slew of similar products available.

I think I just contracted spam poisoning.

EDIT: If you want to come back and tell us how great the one is that you bought then I'll listen but I expect actual performance descriptions and not "ideal for tactical and hunting use". Beam pattern? Flood angle? Spot angle? Switching? Modes? Battery life?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Fenix makes quality lights. Never tried one of their IR lights.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The description reads like Engrish with no real specifications. I assume this is Chinese and not, necessarily the best Chinese. There is a slew of similar products available.

EDIT: If you want to come back and tell us how great the one is that you bought then I'll listen but I expect actual performance descriptions and not "ideal for tactical and hunting use". Beam pattern? Flood angle? Spot angle? Switching? Modes? Battery life?
View Quote
Yeah, sorry about that.  Didn't mean to waste anyone's time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I still have the original post up on a secondary page and neither of the two pages of specs were visible when I made my first post in this thread.

The OP is editing the original post without footnoting it to intentionally make negative responses look irrational.

Something is afoot here and it does not smell good. Did someone leave the door open from GD? Or maybe a shill?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Usually reasonably priced too. Still not completely sold on bright as hell lights with both white and IR modes, but this might be worth a peek.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I still have the original post up on a secondary page and neither of the two pages of specs were visible when I made my first post in this thread.

The OP is editing the original post without footnoting it to intentionally make negative responses look irrational.

Something is afoot here and it does not smell good. Did someone leave the door open from GD? Or maybe a shill?
View Quote
Calm down bro, he's a paying member with nearly 1300 posts.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe I'm too high strung... I just got back from GD. The jerkoffs out there like to modify your post and then argue against the edited version that does not contain the facts you put in it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm too high strung... I just got back from GD. The jerkoffs out there like to modify your post and then argue against the edited version that does not contain the facts you put in it.
View Quote
I seriously avoid GD like the plague. Every single time I've wandered over there it doesn't end well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Without any other info this is pretty much my thoughts. Not going to buy one but, you know.........
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The 850 nm wavelength infrared light has two outputs of 3000mW and 1000mW.

And the info in the OP says it's a "wide area beam" on IR.

I'm tempted to buy one and try it on a 5.56 AR. Major downside is (of course) switching.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a problem.

And yes, GD is a wasteland.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dude that's trolling 101. Can be halarious as long as you're not the victim lol.

I still have that mount for you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dude that's trolling 101. Can be halarious as long as you're not the victim lol.

I still have that mount for you.
View Quote
Well... he's local, and I have a long memory.

Drag me along if you guys schedule an event. I have some spare USGI IR headlights if someone needs to borrow some. You just need a point to bolt the light.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Faaaack.  I just finished having this IR flashlight built.  It's 940nm though, so not nearly apples and oranges.  SniperHogLight's 850nm version is advertised as reaching out to 700 yards (no idea what parameters he's using for viewing) but it's a focusable head from spot-to-flood.

Fenix makes remarkably high-quality stuff, dollar-for-dollar.  I would not use it for OPER8ING but for hog hunting as a handheld torch it should be badass.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Faaaack.  I just finished having this IR flashlight built.  It's 940nm though, so not nearly apples and oranges.  SniperHogLight's 850nm version is advertised as reaching out to 700 yards (no idea what parameters he's using for viewing) but it's a focusable head from spot-to-flood.

Fenix makes remarkably high-quality stuff, dollar-for-dollar.  I would not use it for OPER8ING but for hog hunting as a handheld torch it should be badass.
View Quote
Fenix version also has white illum. Doesn't look like SniperHog does.

I do really like the focus idea for the IR though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fenix version also has white illum. Doesn't look like SniperHog does.

I do really like the focus idea for the IR though.
View Quote
Focusable IR is the only IR I've ever used.  It's immensely useful.  However, adding the focusability probably diminishes bombproofness, which is why the .mil suppliers aren't developing them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Shame the switchability is so limited. I'd try one out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Shame the switchability is so limited. I'd try one out.
View Quote
+1.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I picked one up when Fenix was offering 20% off.  I've used it and the white light is bright and the IR light has a good throw.

I specifically bought it for the IR feature. I've used it with my PVS14 and it works well.  Not a lot of real world testing, but I got some SWAT training coming up later this month and will use it for our annual 3 day training session.  Il keep you guys posted on how it holds up against my other IR lights.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 1000 lumens rating is for the visible light. The IR is measured in mW which is typical.
This appears to be a dual light.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#21]
This has my attention. Fenix makes quality stuff. Just needs a remote tail cap switch.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This has my attention. Fenix makes quality stuff. Just needs a remote tail cap switch.
View Quote
+1. Reasonably priced as well (usually)
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:02:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Makes me wonder, are Fenix body threads compatible with any other manufacturer? Steiner? Surefire? Streamlight?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#24]
You can get 30% off and free shipping right now with code FENIXUSFFD. It comes out to $69.97 shipped.
Fenix TK25
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Arggggh.  I really do not need another flashlight but have a feeling this one is headed my way on the brown truck.  Thanks for the heads up on the coupon.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:21:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I just got the Fenix in the mail and it does work pretty well. It definately reaches out on high and is worth it for the $69 deal I got it at. For anyone with a SF 6P dropin compatible light on a budget I would recommend starting with a solarforce ir dropin. $20 for a decent illuminator is a good place to start. The Fenix is really bright on visible light and ir with a 18650 battery and comes with a decent holster/belt clip. But, with the dual leds it is a bit heavy
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just got the Fenix in the mail and it does work pretty well. It definately reaches out on high and is worth it for the $69 deal I got it at. For anyone with a SF 6P dropin compatible light on a budget I would recommend starting with a solarforce ir dropin. $20 for a decent illuminator is a good place to start. The Fenix is really bright on visible light and ir with a 18650 battery and comes with a decent holster/belt clip. But, with the dual leds it is a bit heavy
View Quote
Can you tell if the tailcap can be swapped for a Steiner or Surefire tailcap, or if the head can be swapped to a Surefire body?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#28]
From ordered to delivered in 3 days.  That ain't bad.  I opted for the remote switch and diffuser cap just to play with.  Initial impressions are good.  The method to switch from IR to white light is interesting.  I will be hunting this weekend and will bring it along to get some video, since I don't see any YouTube videos that are under NODS.

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Can you tell if the tailcap can be swapped for a Steiner or Surefire tailcap, or if the head can be swapped to a Surefire body?
View Quote
I don't have a Steiner to be able to check that.  The Fenix head is not removable and the tailcap is not Surefire compatible
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok, so had a little time to fiddle with this light now.  Initial impressions are that build quality is on-par with everything else Fenix makes, which is to say very good.  Maybe not trust-your-life-on-it-bombproof-tactical, but excellent for exploring and hunting.  The IR light is a big floodier than I prefer, and I found myself having to fully extend my arm in kind of an awkward jousting position to keep the backsplash from my MNVD.  It is not a throw king, but I'd say it illuminates out to 80 yards quite well.  

Of course the white light is nice too. It is impossible to go for IR and accidentally get white, which is nice.  To switch between the two, you rotate the head, which appears to use some sort of detent-based force-to-overcome method.  It has separate reflectors emitters for both white and IR light, and the reflector is built such that it completely covers the unused emitters.

I am happy and will keep it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#31]
How bad was the visible red glow?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How bad was the visible red glow?
View Quote
I didn't pay close attention to that.  Will look tonight.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#33]
You can see red looking directly at the light, but there's not a noticeable red glow.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:18:20 AM EDT
[#34]
GD?!?!  You mean arfcom has more then the night vision section?  

Safest here with people who like the dark
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:33:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ok, so had a little time to fiddle with this light now.  Initial impressions are that build quality is on-par with everything else Fenix makes, which is to say very good.  Maybe not trust-your-life-on-it-bombproof-tactical, but excellent for exploring and hunting.  The IR light is a big floodier than I prefer, and I found myself having to fully extend my arm in kind of an awkward jousting position to keep the backsplash from my MNVD.  It is not a throw king, but I'd say it illuminates out to 80 yards quite well.  

Of course the white light is nice too. It is impossible to go for IR and accidentally get white, which is nice.  To switch between the two, you rotate the head, which appears to use some sort of detent-based force-to-overcome method.  It has separate reflectors emitters for both white and IR light, and the reflector is built such that it completely covers the unused emitters.

I am happy and will keep it.
View Quote
with the flood issue, do you think some tape rolled around the bezel would help any? I wouldn't mind  a flood, but something a bit more rounded would be nice. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top