Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]
So I recently stepped up to the plate and bought a L3 Unfilmed White Phosphor,  Res: 72 lp/mm SNR: 38.6. PC: 2716 Halo 0.8 EBI: 1.5.

This was after I bought a new PVS-14 a month earlier that was a "HP+" thin filmed green Pinnacle model. I was so UN-impressed with the new $3000 unit compared to my 5 year old PVS-14, it actually had less clarity than the old tube, I sold it brand new. I was expecting a huge improvement, but was unimpressed.

After much discussion with industry partners here, I decided to throw down the money for a filmless white phosphor tube PVS-14. I was very impressed. I couldn't believe how much brighter the white was. I don't know if it's just because of the high specs, or because of the color. I have done much comparison between my green and white units. The white definitely sees more with less light. I hardly ever use IR illumination with the white except to find eyes. I like the white better.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm gonna have to call TNVC next week before my purchase decision and ask a few questions but this thread and some personal recommendations have me strongly considering WP for my first NV purchase.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I feel a little lost in this thread because I know next to nothing about NV, but nevertheless with NV on the (perhaps distant) horizon for me I'm glad I read it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I feel a little lost in this thread because I know next to nothing about NV, but nevertheless with NV on the (perhaps distant) horizon for me I'm glad I read it.
View Quote
The thread is hazy because most of us have limited or no exposure to the new tubes being discussed - even the experienced NV guys - to be able to compare them.

In addition to this, there are characteristics of tubes that make certain tubes better for certain uses even though they would only be considered average tubes for most users.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:11:15 AM EDT
[#5]
edited
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#6]
edited
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:57:45 AM EDT
[#7]
You guys with those awesome WP's, do you happen to have a pic taken in a really light deprived environment (deep forest & starlight as an example)?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Tonight, 10PM 3 days before the new moon. Farthest trees at end of road 150 yards. Filmless WPT

Same view with 3x and WPT

Same view with 3x and IR illumination, WPT

IR illumination, WPT

Same view 3x and IR illumination green gen 3 thin filmed.

Same view 3x gen 3 scope with illumination

So the WPT really excels at low light without illumination in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:51:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks. Does it only look like because the camera likes WP or does the WP tube you have handle the illumination better? Those bright reflections are missing from the WP pics.

Wish I had easier access to even seeing one in person, or say to Photonis 4G tubes. Of course they are available overseas but not here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You guys with those awesome WP's, do you happen to have a pic taken in a really light deprived environment (deep forest & starlight as an example)?
View Quote
I'll see what I can do.
Iphone pics so...
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll see what I can do.
Iphone pics so...
View Quote
Thanks will be interesting to see. And yeah iPhone sucks for that purpose. At least my green tubes get so dark (from ITT and they are bright) that iPhones gets into trouble while the eye is still perfectly fine. But knowing that it'll help to decipher the pics.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there a current lead time TNVC WP PVS14s?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#15]
The first (1) is unlit interior with some outside light coming in via windows.
Attachment Attached File

This is in my office with little to no light. (tiny LED from router only)
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

It seems with the less light you get, the more green it looks compared to lots of light (blue)
See next pics of progressively brighter scenes (to the eye)
Iphone can't capture any of these as they suck in low light.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is in my office with little to no light. (tiny LED from router only)
Iphone can't capture any of these as they suck in low light.
View Quote
I have the same kind of employees at my home office, works for food and good scratches.

If that tiny led you say is anything what I imagine then I'd guess thin film would be in trouble quite a bit sooner. At least mine in a room with no other light than a small green led in a thermostat go much much noisier.

Thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:35:13 AM EDT
[#18]
The WP pics in this thread are pretty amazing. The wife would not like me spending $4k in a new unit...
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a pvs14 with an omni 7 tube I got 8 years ago...thinking about it...as far as technology goes, smartest purchase I ever made.  I can't think of any other "best of its day" tech from 8 years ago that still performs neck and neck with current models.  I won't ever part with it :). Green for me!!

If I didnt already have a great unit I would go white...but I can't justify 2 units...not now at least....maybe next year :)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top