Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2017 2:47:42 PM EDT
Alright folks, I have a PVS14 that I'm using with a Norotos INVG (legacy) and DDA, and it acts like it's got the Auto Off feature working.

This despite the following from TNVC.
One thing to note is that the INVG does not make use of an auto-shutoff mechanism.
View Quote
If the PVS14 is attached to the INVG then I can walk around all night without it turning off. If I place it into stowed position or try to use it handheld (say looking at the stars), PVS14 will shut off.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Alright folks, I have a PVS14 that I'm using with a Norotos INVG (legacy) and DDA, and it acts like it's got the Auto Off feature working.

One thing to note is that the INVG does not make use of an auto-shutoff mechanism.
View Quote
If the PVS14 is attached to the INVG then I can walk around all night without it turning off. If I place it into stowed position or try to use it handheld (say looking at the stars), PVS14 will shut off.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
View Quote
Is the auto-off feature possibly built into the dovetail entirely instead of half in the arm and half in the dovetail like in the J-Arm/RHNO configuration?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the auto-off feature possibly built into the dovetail entirely instead of half in the arm and half in the dovetail like in the J-Arm/RHNO configuration?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Honestly not sure, that's why I'm asking here.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the same issue. I also use the dovetail adapter.

It does not shut off when flipped up, but if I just undo the dovetail from INVG to try and walk about with it--it shuts off.
You basically have to remove the dovetail adapter from PVS14 to make it work unattached.

If you put it back in the mount (dovetail) it works fine.
I thought there was an issue at first, but that's what I've come up with via T&E.

I believe we have the same exact mount (legacy) & adapter.
I'm curious myself about this. I've read you can just put tape between the contacts & adapter to get around this, but have not tried it yet.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a DDA and it would do the same thing. I put a piece of electrical tape over the little brass looking ball thingy on the DDA and it stoped doing it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I went out to the garage and looked at my DDA. It has electrical contacts so it looks like the tape trick is the way to go.

My dovetail lowering arm is in the mail as I write, so I ask: Does this auto-off feature work any better than the old one?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll go find some electric tape and give it a shot.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I went out to the garage and looked at my DDA. It has electrical contacts so it looks like the tape trick is the way to go.

My dovetail lowering arm is in the mail as I write, so I ask: Does this auto-off feature work any better than the old one?
View Quote
I'm not sure it works at all honestly. As long as the dovetail is in the INVG it does not shut off in any position that i've noticed.
It only shuts off once your remove the attached (to pvs14) adapter from the INVG. It will turn on, but shuts off in about 15 seconds or so.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not sure it works at all honestly. As long as the dovetail is in the INVG it does not shut off in any position that i've noticed.
It only shuts off once your remove the attached (to pvs14) adapter from the INVG. It will turn on, but shuts off in about 15 seconds or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine worked great. Unless you looked up at the sky or detached it from the INVG.

I placed tape over both of the bronze balls on the DDA and the Auto Off isn't working anymore. Perfect.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:I placed tape over both of the bronze balls on the DDA and the Auto Off isn't working anymore. Perfect.
View Quote
This whole "universally defective from the factory by design on a $500 NVG mount" cracks me up. Is this Norotos' inside joke to the NVG community? How can they get so much right and get this wrong?... permanently, for multiple decades already.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: A lot of these companies have too many labcoats on the design staff and not enough boots.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mine worked great. Unless you looked up at the sky or detached it from the INVG.

I placed tape over both of the bronze balls on the DDA and the Auto Off isn't working anymore. Perfect.
View Quote
So when you flip up your INVG it turns off??
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This whole "universally defective from the factory by design on a $500 NVG mount" cracks me up. Is this Norotos' inside joke to the NVG community? How can they get so much right and get this wrong?... permanently, for multiple decades already.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: A lot of these companies have too many labcoats on the design staff and not enough boots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pretty sure Wilcox mount does the same thing. It's a "design feature" of the PVS14, (@TNVC_Clasky and @TNVC_Sam could answer that question better than I) furthermore, I'm guessing that Auto Off was part of the specific procurement request.

Auto off is nearly universally hated by civi end users (I can't speak for .mil).

Quoted:
So when you flip up your INVG it turns off??
It did. It won't anymore because I did the tape trick.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pretty sure Wilcox mount does the same thing. It's a "design feature" of the PVS14, (@TNVC_Clasky and @TNVC_Sam could answer that question better than I) furthermore, I'm guessing that Auto Off was part of the specific procurement request.
View Quote
Just because the military demands that a feature be included in a device does not necessarily mean that it should be a POS.

Auto-off would be great if it worked as it should: Auto-off when detached from the RHNO. Auto-off when FLIPPED up.

Auto-off is worse than worthless when it works like it does: Auto-off when I look up into a tree. Auto-off when someone says, "Look at this" and I turn my head too fast. Auto-off when I look down to get untangled from barbed wire. Stays on when detached from RHNO. Stays on when flipped up.

It's not reliable enough for me to have a love/hate relationship with it - it's a hate/hate relationship. Wake me up when they get it right. I'm done waiting.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just because the military demands that a feature be included in a device does not necessarily mean that it should be a POS.

Auto-off would be great if it worked as it should: Auto-off when detached from the RHNO. Auto-off when FLIPPED up.

Auto-off is worse than worthless when it works like it does: Auto-off when I look up into a tree. Auto-off when someone says, "Look at this" and I turn my head too fast. Auto-off when I look down to get untangled from barbed wire. Stays on when detached from RHNO. Stays on when flipped up.

It's not reliable enough for me to have a love/hate relationship with it - it's a hate/hate relationship. Wake me up when they get it right. I'm done waiting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, we agree there.

Mine only gave me an issue in two instances... using as a handheld or using it helmet/NightCap mounted to star gaze.

I just used some tape to cover the contacts and it works fine now. (No Auto Off)
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:05:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
ANVIS solves all those problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top