Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2017 2:59:09 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Tax money came back and I'm thinking it's time to take night vision off the wish list and add it to the gear pile.

I've looked at (not through) PVS-14 and the PVS-7.  I see that it seems most run ONE 14 through the "shooting eye" (right handed so right eye) and leave the other eye w/o night vision.  is this the preferred way to run this stuff for say effing around my 20 acres at night tracking bad guys, or coyotes or whatever the hell I want.   Or would I be better off with the 7 that covers both eyes?  Just trying to figure out the whole methodology behind the correct way to operate.  I'm sure 2 PVS14s is the best but fuck that's twice the money.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

Tax money came back and I'm thinking it's time to take night vision off the wish list and add it to the gear pile.

I've looked at (not through) PVS-14 and the PVS-7.  I see that it seems most run ONE 14 through the "shooting eye" (right handed so right eye) and leave the other eye w/o night vision.  is this the preferred way to run this stuff for say effing around my 20 acres at night tracking bad guys, or coyotes or whatever the hell I want.   Or would I be better off with the 7 that covers both eyes?  Just trying to figure out the whole methodology behind the correct way to operate.  I'm sure 2 PVS14s is the best but fuck that's twice the money.  
View Quote
More is not necessarily better. I run a single monocular - not because it's all I can afford but because it gives me advantages beyond the scope of this thread. There is usually a period of adaptation to become comfortable with a MNVD. Some people, however, never get used to it and need a binocular or a biocular like the PVS-7.

Typically the guys are running the MNVD over the eye opposite the rifle to allow for shouldering the rifle without clashing with optics. They target with an IR laser - another $400+ dollars for a good one.

TechOps and I are running a "Do's and Don'ts of NVG" thread. Read all of that for some ideas.

I run a PVS-14 either helmet mounted and active with a laser or passive  mounted behind an EOTech. I am also currently experimenting with running the PVS-14 passively in helmet mounted configuration behind an EOTech on a riser. There is no single right way. Each method has its advantages.

There is also a "New to NV School Me" thread currently running.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Read the do's and don'ts thread, it'll get you started in the right direction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top