Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2017 7:52:05 PM EDT
I have a young friend who would like to purchase a thermal sight that he can also use to view his cattle herd at night when they are calving.  What is the least expensive price point and resolution that is actually worth buying?  Newborn calves hunker down in shallow depressions and can be difficult to see with a spot light or even my Gen 3+ that I have let him use.  He is leaning toward a thermal sight for that reason.  Range to ID a calf or coyote should be 200 yards at least.  I know there is alot of expert opinion here.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like he needs a thermal spotter.  What kinda budget does he have?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a young friend who would like to purchase a thermal sight that he can also use to view his cattle herd at night when they are calving.  What is the least expensive price point and resolution that is actually worth buying?  Newborn calves hunker down in shallow depressions and can be difficult to see with a spot light or even my Gen 3+ that I have let him use.  He is leaning toward a thermal sight for that reason.  Range to ID a calf or coyote should be 200 yards at least.  I know there is alot of expert opinion here.  Thanks!
View Quote

Given these parameters I would ask one final question:

A) If he needs it *now*, he should look hard at the Pulsar Quantum 384 line of monoculars.  They are priced aggressively right now.
B) If he can wait a while, the Fair Q14B is going to be pretty fantastic (or at least it's being marketed and received that way).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top