Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2017 6:50:00 PM EDT
Took my shiny new White Phos unit out in the field for the first time this weekend.... Didn't exactly go as planned. I'm generally very comfortable on my place at all hours of the day or night, but I didn't account for the freak out factor that being almost totally dark would bring. In short, I think the animal life I encountered was equally unnerved and their movements were even more alien and spooky than I'd expected. This combined with the loss of peripheral vision and flying solo made me cut my venture short.

Any tips on controlling nerves and gaining confidence in this enviro? I should mention that I have a robust hog population that also gave me pause....

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Carry a rifle.

Of course a white light backup, a white light attached to the rifle, glow sticks etc.

Critters do behave differently, my best guess is because they don't recognize you as human if they hear you stomping around. I've been close to stampeded by cows before, had a coyote try to close the gap with me after I took a shot at him, & almost tripped over a skunk.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Just be glad it's on land you know and the animals aren't carrying guns
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Took my shiny new White Phos unit out in the field for the first time this weekend.... Didn't exactly go as planned. I'm generally very comfortable on my place at all hours of the day or night, but I didn't account for the freak out factor that being almost totally dark would bring. In short, I think the animal life I encountered was equally unnerved and their movements were even more alien and spooky than I'd expected. This combined with the loss of peripheral vision and flying solo made me cut my venture short.

Any tips on controlling nerves and gaining confidence in this enviro? I should mention that I have a robust hog population that also gave me pause....

Thanks
View Quote

Pfffff. A big gun.

But seriously. Bring a big gun. Shoot first. Shoot last. Shoot some more and then try to ask questions.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Bring a gun as others have said.

The other, and actually the first, thing is to get out every night walking until you get the hang of moving and observing. I know people with tons of time under NODs that are still not comfortable walking around with wildlife. It's completely natural but can be overcome with practice. Move slowly and keep your head on a swivel, you'll quickly learn how animals react to your presence and what you need to do when something spots or smells you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the same problem, just go out more. Take rifle n white light

Hardest part for me was the lack of peripheral vision. Get used to constantly panning lol....until TNVC decides to sell GPNVG-18s to the little people
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Great advice. Thanks y'all. I was carrying my suppressed 5.56 SBR but my intent was to get to where I wanted to go quietly to smoke a hog or two.  I had plenty of IR light on the ATPIAL when I was trying to identify the Dickfer that had me spooked, but during the incident I didn't really think that it couldn't see that either.

Anyone that's worn one of these on a two way range for our country has my respect and admiration. It's humbling to get even a small taste of what that might be like.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't step on "Sneks". Killed 3 big Rattlers too close to the house this week. I hope the Pigs eat the rest.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In short, We live in a world well lit for our visual input.  That in turn hinders us if that's our only world.
View Quote
So much so, in fact, that I have to do some work to get to the deep dark. Most of my NVD experience is under the urban haze. The upside to urban areas is the availability of tunnels - a tunnel at night is some serious darkness. You can easily push a Gen 3 rig past its failure point in a tunnel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
when you open the light
View Quote
Silly question, was Greek your first language?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't step on "Sneks". Killed 3 big Rattlers too close to the house this week. I hope the Pigs eat the rest.
View Quote
Funny you mention that. I haven't seen many sneks since getting the place. It's full of water and should be stacked with moccasins and rattlers etc, but nope. I think the hogs ate em. I guess I'll know when I've killed enough hogs when the snakes start rebounding.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I hunt solo on the ground could cover 2-3 miles but usually only 1/2 a mile before I kill something then back to the barn.   It gets less freaky the more times you do it but for me it's always on my mind.  Get a Bowie knife.  Long story short killed a coyote less than 4 feet from me, now I carry 12 inches of sharp steal helps me psychologically.  I started with the cheapest ammo but now I use 77 grain razor core ammo and may start using the ar10. Was using 5.45x39 AR for 15 cents a round.  Thought I was smart until I was out with a big boar in the middle of a 200 acre field.  Shot at him 26 times hit him 16 times that I know of, gun jammed, he was running at me and fell over 50-75 feet away.  I upgraded firepower and reliability the next time out.  Keep your head on a consistent swivel and turn 360 ever min or so.  Several times pigs have showed up behind where I just was and skunks like to follow you sometimes.  The spookiest thing for me is crossing a small running creek at night.  I don't know why but I hate it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
when you open the light
That's funny....I dated an Israeli girl who said the same thing. I hear Filipinos say that sometimes too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Funny you mention that. I haven't seen many sneks since getting the place. It's full of water and should be stacked with moccasins and rattlers etc, but nope. I think the hogs ate em. I guess I'll know when I've killed enough hogs when the snakes start rebounding.
View Quote
I know they are a nuisance but I'll take hogs over snakes anytime. Fuck snakes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:54:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I hunt solo on the ground could cover 2-3 miles but usually only 1/2 a mile before I kill something then back to the barn.   It gets less freaky the more times you do it but for me it's always on my mind.  Get a Bowie knife.  Long story short killed a coyote less than 4 feet from me, now I carry 12 inches of sharp steal helps me psychologically.  I started with the cheapest ammo but now I use 77 grain razor core ammo and may start using the ar10. Was using 5.45x39 AR for 15 cents a round.  Thought I was smart until I was out with a big boar in the middle of a 200 acre field.  Shot at him 26 times hit him 16 times that I know of, gun jammed, he was running at me and fell over 50-75 feet away.  I upgraded firepower and reliability the next time out.  Keep your head on a consistent swivel and turn 360 ever min or so.  Several times pigs have showed up behind where I just was and skunks like to follow you sometimes.  The spookiest thing for me is crossing a small running creek at night.  I don't know why but I hate it.
View Quote
Really?  I've been waste deep in water. In fact it was my first time out under NODs. It was fuckin awesome.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had the same problem, just go out more. Take rifle n white light

Hardest part for me was the lack of peripheral vision. Get used to constantly panning lol....until TNVC decides to sell GPNVG-18s to the little people
View Quote
So living in Central Phoenix pays off for me because I scan and pan every moment outside the house.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Carry a rifle.

Of course a white light backup, a white light attached to the rifle, glow sticks etc.

Critters do behave differently, my best guess is because they don't recognize you as human if they hear you stomping around. I've been close to stampeded by cows before, had a coyote try to close the gap with me after I took a shot at him, & almost tripped over a skunk.
View Quote
I had a skunk chase me trying to figure out what I was

OP, you just gotta walk around. After my first couple nights out with my PVS14, I'm a lot more sure footed than I was to start with. Check out the YouTube video on monocular vs. binocular NVGs from Telluric Group also.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:18:22 AM EDT
[#19]
If the walking is troublesome you might try it on the other eye.  I do better with the left eye for nv if not binos but I shoot right eye dominant during the day.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:02:22 AM EDT
[#20]
another +1 to what others have said, the more time under them, the more confident you will become. I know the first time I took mine out camping, maybe a week or two after I had gotten them I spooked myself bad enough to call it a night and go to bed early. Something about being able to see into the dark woods where you shouldn't be able to, mixed with free range cattle randomly sneaking up on you didn't sit easy with me. Too many samsquach stories too (and I had a big gun too!) kept going through my head. 

I am amazed at how animals treat you though. Went on a little night hike the other day in some foothills. Watched a coyote run between two groups of people, maybe thirty yards apart if that. After I hung out for a while on one of the hills I came back down and headed for the truck. I noticed eyes watching me from a bush. Threw a rock, nothing, kept walking, nothing. Then, once I was about ten yards from said bush, the same damn coyote darted out, and turned around to look at me again. I hit him with the white light and he hauled ass!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:08:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I always suggest people train a lot at night WITHOUT NV first, before learning to "relay" on NV. It's not a magic wand, it has limitations.

Learn to take in the sights from your unaided eye, smell more at night, focus your hearing, use all these with your NVD to form a "picture" in your mind.

Breathe, relax, enjoy the adventure. If you find yourself getting tweaked, just give it a few deep breathes and calm down. DON'T go right to the crutch of a white light or run back in the house.
View Quote
This.

Unless it's a cloud covered, moonless, starless night way out in the sticks away from the light pollution of a city, it's never really completely dark.

You'd be surprised how sharp your senses can get just by sitting in the dark and letting your scotopic vision adapt, while your sense of smell and hearing take over. You gain the first 1/3 of your scotopic vision in about 3 minutes. The next 1/3 in about 30 minutes, and full scotopic vision by the time you've been 3 hours in darkness.

If you've been out in the woods and gotten used to using your dark adapted (scotopic) vision, any NVG's make things look like daylight. You still have to get accustomed to the tunnel vision, but getting used to using your hearing and sense of smell along with your vision makes the adaptation easier.

If there are critters in your neck of the woods, being up in a treestand can help keep you at ease while you get comfortable being in darkness. Oh, and a big gun lol.

Max
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:50:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't have to worry about sneks, and I'm borderline too comfortable under nvgs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:05:35 AM EDT
[#23]
In the Army  I took new guys in my squad out for a 2 hour walk the first week we showed up im the woods behind the barracks under the pvs14s. many would get headaches the first time but the practice made it easier later. when it mattered.

Hell one of my Lts got so good driving his  dirt bike under pvs-14s by playing on ft.Bragg's  back roads he got stopped one night by a green beret team that could not get away from him and ordered to stop.

you need the practice get out & do it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#24]
You need to watch some of the videos that Cy Brown has posted about shooting pigs in rice fields barefooted. It will make you feel even more like a pansy after watching how close he gets whacking pigs Thats one fearless dude!

Most of my night hunting is done in cooler weather so snakes are not much of a concern, but man we have a lot of skunks around here! Easy to walk up on them in waist high grass

skunk with thermal

Another thing to NEVER do is walk into a horse pasture with nothing but your NV on - "scaredest" I have ever been in my life having a few tons of mad horses charging me and stomping around me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
another +1 to what others have said, the more time under them, the more confident you will become. I know the first time I took mine out camping, maybe a week or two after I had gotten them I spooked myself bad enough to call it a night and go to bed early. Something about being able to see into the dark woods where you shouldn't be able to, mixed with free range cattle randomly sneaking up on you didn't sit easy with me. Too many samsquach stories too (and I had a big gun too!) kept going through my head. 

I am amazed at how animals treat you though. Went on a little night hike the other day in some foothills. Watched a coyote run between two groups of people, maybe thirty yards apart if that. After I hung out for a while on one of the hills I came back down and headed for the truck. I noticed eyes watching me from a bush. Threw a rock, nothing, kept walking, nothing. Then, once I was about ten yards from said bush, the same damn coyote darted out, and turned around to look at me again. I hit him with the white light and he hauled ass!
View Quote
Yep, it wasn't the animal activity and movement that spooked me so much as it was the way they reacted to my presence. It's an odd thing to hollar out loud to a wild animal and the damn thing gets closer. That was a first and something I totally wasn't prepared for. I never saw it and I assume it never saw me. Next time I'll sling a round or two in the dirt and keep rolling.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I will admit I still suffer from this.

my brother went out with me one time and just having one other person with me took all my fears away.

but when I go out by myself I still get a little spooky.
watching bigfoot and monster shows dosent help either

The only way I can feel somewhat relaxed is if im basically carrying enough guns and ammo to go to war.
pistol with a few mags, rifle and 4-5 reloads, body armor. the whole shabang.
Then I feel like im carrying enough firepower I can pretty much put anything I see down for good if I have to.

I also hate snakes, I wear chaps.

and the damn rabbits... I hate those fuckers. hard to spot then they dart off and scare the shit out of me
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#29]
My first few experiences were totally opposite... I was so amazed at what I could see I thoroughly enjoyed getting used to using NV. I'm glad I was comfortable from the start... but then again I've been hunting since old enough to carry a gun so being in the woods in total darkness was something that I got over rather quickly.

More time will ease the uneasiness... go have fun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I will admit I still suffer from this.

my brother went out with me one time and just having one other person with me took all my fears away.

but when I go out by myself I still get a little spooky.
watching bigfoot and monster shows dosent help either

The only way I can feel somewhat relaxed is if im basically carrying enough guns and ammo to go to war.
pistol with a few mags, rifle and 4-5 reloads, body armor. the whole shabang.
Then I feel like im carrying enough firepower I can pretty much put anything I see down for good if I have to.

I also hate snakes, I wear chaps.

and the damn rabbits... I hate those fuckers. hard to spot then they dart off and scare the shit out of me
View Quote
Active IR makes eyes reflect. I typically see them 50 yards out, and they alert 10 yards(ish), and move about 3 yards away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Active IR makes eyes reflect. I typically see them 50 yards out, and they alert 10 yards(ish), and move about 3 yards away.
View Quote
Using the on board PVS-14 IR or something else?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I have to admit, I am a little shocked so many of you guys are scared/uneasy in the dark.

There ain't no boogie monsters, no "bigfeets", or dogmen in the woods and horror movies aren't reality. Depending on where you are I would only be worried about snakes, gators, and grizzly bears. Damn fellas, with NV on you are the king of the woods, fear nothing - you are the apex predator (but you may occasionally smell like an apex skunk when you step on one )!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The onboard illuminator is horrible and should only be used if you're suicidally depressed.

Surefire vampire series or laser based illumination.

If you're going to be behind, shooting through, or barely above vegetation, laser is the way to go. If you want the area illumination like a white flashlight, go with a LED based system. I use laser based on rifle, LED based on pistol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have to admit, I am a little shocked so many of you guys are scared/uneasy in the dark.

There ain't no boogie monsters, no "bigfeets", or dogmen in the woods and horror movies aren't reality. Depending on where you are I would only be worried about snakes, gators, and grizzly bears. Damn fellas, with NV on you are the king of the woods, fear nothing - you are the apex predator (but you may occasionally smell like an apex skunk when you step on one )!!
View Quote
NVGs, the ability to move silently, suppressed weapons, and proper IR illumination is god mode.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Go out and walk your property with no NODs under a full moon. You'll be surprised at how effectively you can move after about 45 minutes. Then, do normal tasks that you've done in daylight and artificial light a few times.

After a few repetitions of those kind of tasks, try doing those things under NV. I ALWAYS get the mail under NV now, because it's good practice. Walk down to and load up a wheelbarrow with firewood from the wood shed under NV a couple times. Do normal tasks under NV to get used to how you feel and move.

It looks like you've got the "walking around under NV" down pretty well, but you have to build your skills up to the point where you feel comfortable. Sometimes it can get scary when you realize you're 3 miles into the woods with no light, and you just accidentally turned off your -14 instead of turning on the IR illuminator. lol.

Like others say, carry a white light. Carry a glo-stick. Carry a woobie if it makes you feel safer. But the bottom line is to get out there and practice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's because we've come to rely upon our sight... Which is really bad practice. Smell and Sound are the two biggest advantages that you can have while hunting during the daylight, why wouldn't you want to use them at night too?

Unless there are some really mutated wolves out there, I'm not worried about animals at night, just people. I'll have to do a full write-up sometime about the poacher I found on my land who was using red saran-wrap flashlight filters as redneck-nightvision. But even in that situation, IR lights, lasers, and NODs, I was the apex predator. He didn't hear or see me stash the firecracker string near him, and didn't see the lit cigarette I used as a timing device. He only looked when he saw the fast-burn-fuse light, and by that time, it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late for him to react.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's because we've come to rely upon our sight... Which is really bad practice. Smell and Sound are the two biggest advantages that you can have while hunting during the daylight, why wouldn't you want to use them at night too?

Unless there are some really mutated wolves out there, I'm not worried about animals at night, just people. I'll have to do a full write-up sometime about the poacher I found on my land who was using red saran-wrap flashlight filters as redneck-nightvision. But even in that situation, IR lights, lasers, and NODs, I was the apex predator. He didn't hear or see me stash the firecracker string near him, and didn't see the lit cigarette I used as a timing device. He only looked when he saw the fast-burn-fuse light, and by that time, it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late for him to react.
View Quote
THAT WOULD BE AWESOME ON VIDEO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME ON VIDEO.
View Quote
I didn't have a FPRS yet, and I doubt I'll ever have an opportunity to do it again. Poor boy took off faster than I've seen anyone move before. After I called him, the Game Warden came out the next day and collected what he left behind. A week later the Game Warden told me that the poacher had been charged, and should I have any issues in the future to contact him and the Sheriff and they'll lock him up for a long time now that he's a felon.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Reach into pants.  Check for balls.  If present, squeeze to awaken.  If absent, list shiny new White Phos on EE.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Night bear will be all I think about next time I'm out lol.

I don't suppose you could ask him if I could borrow those!  I'm sure he wouldn't mind given his current status! Lol
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Check out the YouTube video on monocular vs. binocular NVGs from Telluric Group also.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Start mowing your lawn under NV. That'll get you used to gauging distance -- and possibly replanting your wife's flowers, lol.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:10:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Like almost anything, the more time you spend under your NODs, the more comfortable you'll become with them. I've only been using mine for right at 6 months, but have become way more proficient with this new found super power than I was in the beginning.

Spent the initial time navigating my property in the dark, and learning to manipulate the controls/etc. Did things like battery swaps, helmet adjustments, and other various seemingly simple tasks that aren't. Once I was comfortable with those things I moved onto shooting. Got my IR laser sighted in and then started blasting steel in the dark. Next moved on to driving vehicles. This was the hardest part for me. Looking out of only 1 eye with a limited FOV makes even putting down a rural road a challenge. Anyway, I stuck with it and am now ripping around from coyote set to coyote set with ease and having an absolute blast!

Just stick with it, try and relax, and have fun. You are now an apex predator with wizard powers!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:53:33 AM EDT
[#44]
do some sprints, then do some sprints from cover to cover. then do some sprints from cover to cover while presenting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
 Well, duh, why else would I be buying night vision! 

Not that I'm afraid of the dark, I've grown up hunting and walking to and from the field in total blackness. For me it was the unnatural eeriness of actually being able to see in what should have been total darkness that was strange at first. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top