Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2017 9:12:24 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I have acquired my self a nice PVS-14 recently. I've been trying to get as much details as I can on it, but was hoping someone more knowledgeable could help me properly identify the tube.

NSN 5855-01-444-3916
Part No: 270595-7
MFR Date: MAR05

From searching on the web, I've drawn up that this is possibly an ITT MX11769/UV, but I can't come to a conclusion on it's minimum specs. Would it be comparable to Omni VI with SNR 25, or just the base tube with SNR 21? I understand these are only minimum specs, and don't exactly reflect the tube, but I'm curious.
They unit is pretty crisp, has no blems, and doesn't seem very noisy, but the halos are pretty big.

Also, the unit has no audible whine for the autogating, but I did the low voltage test and it strobes which is supposed to be a really good indication of autogating I believe.

Any info is appreciated, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't help you with much. @SOT_Soltuions can.

I have heard some units you can barely hear the autogated whine so the fact that yours is very quiet doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:54:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't help you with much. @SOT_Soltuions can.

I have heard some units you can barely hear the autogated whine so the fact that yours is very quiet doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have it.
View Quote
Well... I could research it but Dino or David probably know this like they know their own address.

OP: Did you look at the tube identification thread tacked on the forum front page? It is probably in there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:41:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I've looked through the post with the omni classifications thouroughly. The nsn matches the MX11769/UV but either than that I can't figure out how to conclude min specs. Maybe I'm not reading the chart correctly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]
So I gave it a real good listen and I hear the whine now. It's just REALLY quiet, or my ears are bad haha. Well that solves that question at least.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know anything about this NSN# ? I have seen it on tubes from CAD 03 to 07 some of the labels didnt have contract #`s
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting information you can find on Google with a part number.  When you search Google for "270595-7" it would appear that this page along with the cage code tells us it was manufactured by EXELIS INC. DIV NIGHT VISION & TACTICAL in Roanoke, VA.  The second link shows that there are 2 cage codes that are manufactured by 2 different companies in Hungary.  Lots of information available can be found from NSN's, cage codes and part numbers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Technically, it's Omni IV, but yields for tubes around when the first MX11769's came out would have all been Omni V.

And yours was made in 2005, so it's more likely it was closer to Omni VI, though it doesn't have to be. Around that date, with a NSN, you can be confident it most likely had a good S/N.

Though keep in mind S/N deteriorates over time anyway.... I guess we need a handy S/N measurement tool to carry around with us, but they don't exist yet - At least not in a convenient form factor.

That all said, that date? Probably quite a good tube. I wouldn't imagine any reason to worry - None of the PVS-14 tubes were ever really all that bad. And even an expert will have trouble spotting 3 points of S/N difference with two devices to compare, and 6 points if they are going from memory.

Regards
David. 
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info. Yesterday I was able to compare to my friends Katod with known specs of SNR 26.5, literally no visible difference to me or him, so I'm happy. We did a nice night hike in a forest with no moonlight and starlight, and it worked pretty damn good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top