Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2017 9:06:22 PM EDT
So I have been in and out of the loop the last year or so...and anyway noticed today the class action law suit and eotech giving full refunds.

Does anyone remember few years ago my HUGE long drawn out shit fest with eotech?  I had a sight when it went into low brightness and NV mode the center dot went from a dot to a long swoosh....anyway eotech acted like I was seeing shit and kept using the stigmatism bs where "oh its not always a crisp dot bla bla"....it wasn't that because I could flip back and forth between a brightness level and watch the dot go from a dot to a swoosh...anyway...I  ton a try to find the archived thread...

I just want to go on record and say fuck you eotech for 1) never fixing my sight 2) acting like you could not see it even though I provided exact details and it always did the same glitch in the same brightness setting 3) cost me shipping charges sending it back multiple times 4) I sold it for a big loss and then bought a newer model which now apparently is shit too.

Looks like eotech finally got busted!!!!  I hope they used some of the info I recorded to nail their asses....

Fuck you eotech...fuck you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
You're mistaken.

Eotechs are the optics of the US Navy Seals.  It is the finest optic ever made.  All these claims of problems are from internet commandos who don't actually shoot.
I own an Eotech and fired 50 rounds with it on my rifle with no problems.  That is clear proof that Eotechs are fine.

This is just the FSA grubbing for handouts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
lol.  rant thread in tech forum.

/thread.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're mistaken.

Eotechs are the optics of the US Navy Seals.  It is the finest optic ever made.  All these claims of problems are from internet commandos who don't actually shoot.
I own an Eotech and fired 50 rounds with it on my rifle with no problems.  That is clear proof that Eotechs are fine.

This is just the FSA grubbing for handouts.
View Quote
That's right!  And if you even try to use logic or facts or cite the companies own admissions you're a fanboy using emotion!!!

I've rarely seen a piece of equipment make professional grown men act like purse swinging high school girls.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

/thread.

View Quote
...but it is a rant about a technical issue.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/thread.

...technically true.  
Full disclosure: I did return a 553 under the buy-back and I would happily take an EXPS-3 or another 553 for a good price.  I like the sight picture.  I'm currently 100% aimpoints and irons. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's right!  And if you even try to use logic or facts or cite the companies own admissions you're a fanboy using emotion!!!

I've rarely seen a piece of equipment make professional grown men act like purse swinging high school girls.
View Quote
Hahahaha, it was 8 years ago...so I was almost a teenager
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fuck you eotech...fuck you.
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote
Hahaha.  Oy vey.  

As I've stated many times before, they do and have worked for me, and I have nothing riding on who else does or does not use them.  

I'll let the above speak for itself insofar as responding "emotionally" goes.

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hahaha.  Oy vey.  

As I've stated many times before, they do and have worked for me, and I have nothing riding on who else does or does not use them.  

~Augee
View Quote
I'm going to give Heineken a full ride on this one because his primary argument is not with the presence of a defect but in EOTech's abject failure to resolve his problem even though he specifically articulated the problem to them. Plus, seriously, any manufacturer that builds NV compatible gear that does not keep NV on-hand for testing purposes is playing bush league - but they are charging major league prices for admission.

I'm not upset about this whole thing because I'm on the Aimpoint bandwagon - I'm upset about it because I'm on the EOTech bandwagon. When they are working right they outperform the Aimpoints when used ICW NV.

Using a design defect to try to excuse a manufacturing defect is reprehensible customer relations.

Switch gears: What are the numbers of each of the types defects versus the numbers of units fielded? I've heard a lot of complaining from individual users but I have not seen solid numbers. Is EOTech keeping that information a secret? If so, that's another ding. The settlement does not excuse that ethically, only legally. I am seriously intrigued to know if the number is significant enough to warrant fearing for unit failure. Maybe this is mostly smoke, but without numbers I can't tell.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hahaha.  Oy vey.  

~Augee
View Quote
I looked at the offer, considered the opportunity to return an underutilized asset for full price and jumped on the opportunity.

It took exactly how long Eotech said it would to get the money and I walked away happy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm going to give Heineken a full ride on this one because his primary argument is not with the presence of a defect but in EOTech's abject failure to resolve his problem even though he specifically articulated the problem to them. Plus, seriously, any manufacturer that builds NV compatible gear that does not keep NV on-hand for testing purposes is playing bush league - but they are charging major league prices for admission.

I'm not upset about this whole thing because I'm on the Aimpoint bandwagon - I'm upset about it because I'm on the EOTech bandwagon. When they are working right they outperform the Aimpoints when used ICW NV.

Using a design defect to try to excuse a manufacturing defect is reprehensible customer relations.

Switch gears: What are the numbers of each of the types defects versus the numbers of units fielded? I've heard a lot of complaining from individual users but I have not seen solid numbers. Is EOTech keeping that information a secret? If so, that's another ding. The settlement does not excuse that ethically, only legally. I am seriously intrigued to know if the number is significant enough to warrant fearing for unit failure. Maybe this is mostly smoke, but without numbers I can't tell.
View Quote
I don't mind him posting the thread, though I think it'd be more appropriate for the Optics subforum, though it may also be posted there, I haven't been over there in a while, it moves too fast for me to keep up with.  

My comment had more to do with the ironic snide reference to those who continue to use EOTechs being "emotional"--in response to an emotion-laced rant/celebration which could be summed up as "nyah nyah, woo-hoo, fuck EOTech."  

As far as the "numbers" go, for all intents and purposes ALL EOTechs will experience some thermal drift--as will all electronic dot sights.  I am unsure off top of my head are considered to be "non-repeating," that is to say, they won't return to center after experiencing thermal drift.  No EOTechs are 100% parallax free, either, again, something shared between all RDS.  Finally, it appears that upwards of 90% of EOTechs will not maintain a full seal and lose some nitrogen over time, sometimes getting severe enough that the optic will lose considerable brightness, even at the highest setting.  EOTech claims to have fixed the drift repeatability and seals, though many are understandably skeptical, while some thermal drift and parallax are something that cannot really be fixed, and all RDS experience.  

If you understand and accept that, then so be it, I do--but I re-zero my sights regularly, have enough other optics that I can afford to send one in for service, and have been successfully using them for over ten years, and I do still feel that the EOTech offers me some capabilities--many of them NV related that I have detailed elsewhere, that no other optic can offer me at the present time.  I have no statement in defense of the company's ethics in the matter, though I do believe that there's more to the story that's not being made public.  However, beyond that, I invite anyone to try to remove all contact from L3 from their lives, most of y'all will need to turn in your NODs (I will accept filthy L3 devices and dispose of them free of charge, and can provide pre-paid shipping labels), and fun never going to an airport again.  

Meanwhile, in other news, another trainer whom I respect (Eric Dorenbush, Green Eye Tactical), at least, and has a great deal of experience has recently banned Aimpoint T1s from his carbine classes, citing irreparable parallax issues.  I post this not to say "see, Aimpoints have problems too," but to show that there is, was, and will always be a wide range of opinions, often coming from respected sources.  There's a lot of people whose opinions I respect, but in the end, my opinions, experiences, and decisions are my own, and just because I respect Eric's opinions doesn't mean that I'm going to rush out and dump the Aimpoint T1 either, if it works for my purposes and applications, I simply absorb all the information possible, and decide from there.  

(for those who want to read more, as it's fairly long)
Click To View Spoiler
Regardless, this will be my last post in this thread on any topic to avoid the types of pissing matches that inevitably occur when these types of topics come up, and let this one run its course without me, elaboration or discussion on anything else can be done in another thread or venue.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I looked at the offer, considered the opportunity to return an underutilized asset for full price and jumped on the opportunity.

It took exactly how long Eotech said it would to get the money and I walked away happy.
View Quote
I decided to keep the Eotech I own (3rd one I've had) as I like to show it off.
I show off the broken battery contacts.
I show off how the lens is delaminating.
Sometimes I leave batteries in it to demonstrate how it will drain batteries when off.

I have multiple reasons why I don't recommend Eotech, thermal drift is negligible in comparison to the others IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Some EOTech optics have their issues, but a correctly functioning EOTech is still the best optic for use with NODs in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Some EOTech optics have their issues, but a correctly functioning EOTech is still the best optic for use with NODs in my opinion.
View Quote

Agreed. They are also the best daytime optic for many of us.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is what is driving the whole issue. We willingly spent several hundreds of dollars each on these things - willingly, the money was secondary. When the unit fails for someone that is truly using it to the full extent of its capabilities then he has lost more than the purchase price that he already kissed goodbye - he is losing a part of his FIGHTING ABILITY. I have not had a failure yet, but if I did, I would be just as pissed as the OP for this reason.

I sympathize with the OP but I think he has had his say. This thread is doomed to devolvement if it survives. It won't stay on track and nothing constructive will come of it if no one has numbers too add to the discussion.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I have certainly seen all the problems people have had.

with that being said I have an N cell model that I bought in 2005 (I was in college and poor so I went with the cheapest one).
so far the only problems ive ever had was the battery drain, other than that its been solid.

Still have it, I dont plan to get rid of it. I like the sight picture and currently have it on a plinking gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top