Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2017 4:44:43 PM EDT
Anyone have this scope that could comment on their likes or dislikes would be appreciated.  I've read about CORE technology and sounds very interesting.  It retails for ~$775, but some times on sale <$700.  Thanks, SB
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone have this scope that could comment on their likes or dislikes would be appreciated.  I've read about CORE technology and sounds very interesting.  It retails for ~$775, but some times on sale <$700.  Thanks, SB
View Quote
The general consensus is that the CORE lineup is overpriced and over-hyped. A used PVS-4 that will blow it away can be had for about $850.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The general consensus is that the CORE lineup is overpriced and over-hyped. A used PVS-4 that will blow it away can be had for about $850.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply!  I am interested in a used or reconditioned PVS-4 weapon mounted sight on AR 5.56 flat top, so any recommendations to source ( member or vendor) one would be appreciated.  SB
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply!  I am interested in a used or reconditioned PVS-4 weapon mounted sight on AR 5.56 flat top, so any recommendations to source ( member or vendor) one would be appreciated.  SB
View Quote
Make sure it already has a rail mount or the appropriate slug to accept an ACOG rail mount.

I bought one from NAIT. The lens train and housing were immaculate. The tube had pretty considerable chicken-wire. It also had reticle burn from where the reticle had been before the tube got reconditioned. Finally it had some noise at the center of the image. With all of these defects it will still blow the CORE scope out of the water. I got a nice replacement tube from L3 and now I have a killer scope. The tubes NAIT is using are still good enough to start with until you decide whether or not you are willing to upgrade.

Ask about the tube before you commit to one.

Seriously though, a crappy PVS-4 is a monster compared to anything Gen 1... even CORE.

Oh, and make sure the CR123 battery adapter is lubricated or it can seize like mine did. All you need is some dielectric grease like you should be using on flashlight threads already. This is a non-issue... just do it.

Look over the operators manual. Tell me about your terrain and lighting conditions.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Was your NAIT scope a used one or refurb?  I'm very interested in their products.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Was your NAIT scope a used one or refurb?  I'm very interested in their products.
View Quote
Refurb.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks, your previous post, will help with discussing their current PVS-4 inventory, ect.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks, your previous post, will help with discussing their current PVS-4 inventory, ect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have some MK845s also but I think they take a PVS-5 style tube and working on them is an unknown for me. The PVS-4 tubes are still somewhat readily available, as is documentation. Maintenance of the PVS-4 only requires basic tools and a clean work area.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one since 2014, only just sold it as I didn't use it anymore as I have the gen2 6x white phosphor nemisis scope.

The vampire accounted for close to 280+ foxes in the years of me owning it.

See the vid, this was way before Armasight started to include the better IR light.

https://youtu.be/E99D-jjhJAQ

I can post some old pics, if you like. Was a good starting scope, needs a good ir light to of any use. I'm not worried about the end of the world, security cleric crap. I used it for just its poupose of culling foxes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had one since 2014, only just sold it as I didn't use it anymore as I have the gen2 6x white phosphor nemisis scope.

The vampire accounted for close to 280+ foxes in the years of me owning it.

See the vid, this was way before Armasight started to include the better IR light.

https://youtu.be/E99D-jjhJAQ

I can post some old pics, if you like. Was a good starting scope, needs a good ir light to of any use. I'm not worried about the end of the world, security cleric crap. I used it for just its poupose of culling foxes.
View Quote
Oh this is your video? Pretty nice brother. I've watched it several times myself because I too was thinking about getting one awhile back and still considering as I'm on a budget. It's a shame that they used your video without permission though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep my vid, this was just before Flir brought the company. The cheek of them, they quickly removed the vid from there channel. They didn't even bother to reply to my email sent through them on there site.

My last purchase was a Gen2 6x nemisis ( now this scope has problems, the bloody thing won't focus at infinity, her limit is around 150-170yards before the image degrades. Perhaps I should of brought the Vulcan. But for a $3850 Aussie dollars the thing should be gold. It was sent for repair.... didn't get fixed, had to pay import taxes etc again with shipping. Plenty more money thrower at it for well " nothing " in my eyes I got a Big F U. So safe to say even though Flir now own Armasight. I won't spend another cent with them. Who would of thought a $700 scope performed better then my $3850 scope. You spend more you expect a quality product and that in my case. It is not. NV here in Aus is not cheap. We are also limited to what we can get, shame but that's how it is these days. We pay a premium and we can still get a POS, that was no better then what one already had and did just fine with.

From memory I think it was the first genuine video that was by someone not out to sell a product. I brought it after I had helped David ( CJ7) with the Spark review.

I was impressed with it, hence when they followed up with the vampire I didn't hesitate. ( first NV scope ) it did very well for its intended use. Never had and issues with it. The factory IR back then before they started supplying the aspheric lensed IR lights with them weren't worth two squirts of goats piss. Hence the my vid on IR lights from local Aus suppliers. To show the comparison.

Since the delve in all things green. I have brought and sold a number of NV optics. Only just sold a bunch I just aren't using anymore to fund the pulsar Trail thermal due to hit our shore soon.

So you send your money with caution, the vampire ( mine was good as gold, never a drama ) but the nemisis.......what can I say.

Flir/Armasight I hope this finds your eyes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#11]
This is the pic from the location I shot the vid the following morning. You can compare this day picture to the night time Ir light comparison for the Vampire 3x

You will need a decent IR light like the T20 or 50 to get full use outta it. It will need to run IR from no moon to about 1/2 moon. From 3/4- full moon you can get away shooting passive.

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is the pic from the location I shot the vid the following morning. You can compare this day picture to the night time Ir light comparison for the Vampire 3x

You will need a decent IR light like the T20 or 50 to get full use outta it. It will need to run IR from no moon to about 1/2 moon. From 3/4- full moon you can get away shooting passive.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd508/SKIPPYISAAUSSIE/digi%20scoping%20the%20nv%20scope%203x/795E9573-5494-4529-99DB-A27E58CD0A7F_zps3ordnklq.png
View Quote
Wow that really sucks about no apology and the more expensive optic failing. Thanks for the picture brother. That's pretty good for a GEN 1 scope. I was thinking about picking up a Yukon/Firefield/Sightmark NVRS since they are getting very cheap now. The Vampire is nice but kind of expensive for a GEN 1 but then again GEN 2 still a few shelves upward. Hopefully I can come across a good deal soon or in the near future. By the way I almost got a Spark myself to save monies but I ended up getting a PVS-14 in GEN 2+ because of the activities I conduct. At work we use the latest GEN 3+, WHP and thermal devices but was way out of my price range so I ended up getting something I could emulate work without breaking the bank too hard. Plus I had authorization from the Mrs. so you know how that can be.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys have plenty more option's over in the good ol USA to what you can get and can get quite cheaply and reasonably great value. Compared to your allies across the pond where options are limited and also quite expensive.

Anyway, my Vampire 3x was pretty good. Nothing but positives from me. Digital would also be a go like the sightmark xt ( Yukon ) here in Aus. Same thing different badge.

Would be the only gen1+ I would consider, NV Rs if in Gen2 is ok, for little more. But Gen2 is the go, for that little extra time to save.

My vampire did its job well for the years I had it. The nemisis is the one I regretted buying. Hindsight hey :)

Only gotta bite me once there's no 2nd time. Just a lesson learned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top