Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2017 10:53:45 AM EDT
I just got my Radius range finder on Saturday.  It has a continuous operation scanning mode that pulses the IR laser.  I took it out last night to see how it looked through my NVG's and the pulsing dot definitely stands out.  It pulses a little on the slow side unfortunately.  Once or twice per second.  My Kilo 2000 on the other hand pulses 4 times per second so you always know where it's at.  I wish their was a way to increase the pulse rate.  I know it would halve the battery life but it seems it would work great for aiming with night vision.

Pics of the setup:

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I want to do the same. and have earmarked my next buy as being the radious over a handheld lrf. I need an ir laser, but i also need the ability to rangefind at night. Youd think that theyd come up with a version meant for us that shoot at night. Id love to see a device that i could clip to the front of the CO-LR, or any nod, that would give me a reading in the view, kinda like the GI compass clip on. If only i had the money to invest in developing technology..
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The beam pattern on my Radius is not a dot it's more like a wide duplex and seems a little large for targeting. Is your beam pattern a small dot like an aiming laser? 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got my Radius range finder on Saturday.  It has a continuous operation scanning mode that pulses the IR laser.  I took it out last night to see how it looked through my NVG's and the pulsing dot definitely stands out.  It pulses a little on the slow side unfortunately.  Once or twice per second.  My Kilo 2000 on the other hand pulses 4 times per second so you always know where it's at.  I wish their was a way to increase the pulse rate.  I know it would halve the battery life but it seems it would work great for aiming with night vision.

Pics of the setup:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20170311-173948-163831.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20170311-174025-163830.jpg
The beam pattern on my Radius is not a dot it's more like a wide duplex and seems a little large for targeting. Is your beam pattern a small dot like an aiming laser? 
How do you zero it?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
It may be a little large for targeting.  I need to play with it some more.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How do you zero it?
View Quote
Like UNV said, it has adjustments to align the range finder with your scope.

It has a visible red laser you turn on.  You measure the distance (X and Y) from the centerline of your optic to the placement of your radius red laser.  Then mark the spot(usually with a reflective dot to make it easier) on your target that far from your aim point.  You adjust the laser so when your cross hairs align with the aiming point your laser lands on the reflective dot.  This lets you put the cross hairs on anything you want to range and get the distance.  Of course the range finder will be offset slightly from your scope.  In my case it's 2.843 inches directly above the scope.  I like it directly above the scope so I don't have any horizontal offset to account for. 

I need to take it out at night and see what my IR laser spread looks like and compare it to the red laser position.  I'm not sure which side is the emitter, but I expect at close range the IR laser starts ~1" left or right.

I know the beam spreads, I guess I should look it up, I think it's in the manual.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I just went back through the manual.  Beam divergence is listed as .5mradx1.85mrad.  So at 100 yards it should be ~1.5" x 6"

Visible laser is at 650nm and IR pulse is at 905nm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top