Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2017 12:45:56 PM EDT
So I'm going on to the lake today and I was thinking about being my gen three pvs-7 in the soft case. For tonight.

I'm guessing this is a stupid question since these are used by various military's  in the desert but will being in the car with massive desert heat hurt it?  It'll be out of the sun.

Apologies in advance to SOT, I don't have the manual for it
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait! Free NVG's at Lake Pleasant?! I'm there! What do you drive OP?

In all seriousness, you sound be fine.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
1) Pull the battery.
2) Wrap NOD in a towel.
3) Put a cold pack next to the wrapped NOD.
4) Stuff your NOD cold pack combo into a backpack or wrap with more towels.

I've seen optics have sealing grease run in massive heat - never in a premium NOD but I don't risk it. Today is probably not a big deal. When it hits 115 it's a more serious problem.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait! Free NVG's at Lake Pleasant?! I'm there! What do you drive OP?

In all seriousness, you sound be fine.
View Quote

Lol. I had only the half soft doors on too. It was wide open!  Timeouts have been a walk in the park!

But maybe I hide a rattlesnake under the seat......
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We lost count the number of SWAT types who wrecked their NODS with units in the back of the trunk with the batteries in it on hot days. You MUST take the batteries out, first and foremost, that is the issue 95% of the time. Bats WILL  burst in extreme heat, Even it's not extremely hot outside and you have you NODS in a car, the temps can still rise. Simply remove the batts.
View Quote

Damn. That sucks. But I learn from what you guys all say. I always take my batteries out. I'm going to wear out the threads on my battery compartment before anything else lol.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1) Pull the battery.
2) Wrap NOD in a towel.
3) Put a cold pack next to the wrapped NOD.
4) Stuff your NOD cold pack combo into a backpack or wrap with more towels.

I've seen optics have sealing grease run in massive heat - never in a premium NOD but I don't risk it. Today is probably not a big deal. When it hits 115 it's a more serious problem.
View Quote

Good idea. Today I wasn't too worried but like I mentioned we are going to Cali soon and I think I'm going to bring them. If we are at the beach all day I think I'll employ this idea or maybe incorporate it in the cooler somehow.

Unless the hotel room has a safe. Not the instill much confidence it's better than the jeep or the kids stroller.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Damn. That sucks. But I learn from what you guys all say. I always take my batteries out. I'm going to wear out the threads on my battery compartment before anything else lol.
View Quote

You should "NEVER" leave your battery in when not in use. As for storing it in your car, put it in a cooler which should help with extreme temperature changes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top